Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
shoot out DA*50-135 v.s. A50 A*85 A100 A*135

So I've promised this a while ago: a shoot out between the DA*50-135 and the best you can get in terms of primes in the Pentax A generation. A odd thing to do? Well, not from my perspective. I got into Pentax with the A lens generation using my Super A and Program A cameras. My two first lenses were the A50/1.7 and A100/2.8 (wise enough to avoid the dog A135/2.8, but not with the money yet for the star lenses). Later, on my first salary after the university, I got a used A*135/1.8. My brother got a A*85/1.4, which I frequently borrowed, while he borrowed the A*135. So lot's of my early (1980-90's) Pentax shooting were with these four lenses. They set my expectations. I didn't get a zoom until years later, nor autofocus.

But here is now a zoom lens with a star which performs so well that I find it seriously replacing primes for me. A lens that has begun to build a reputation that it is bound to be a classic cult lens. But can it keep up with the expectations I have from my first Pentax primes? If I forget the obvious difference in weight and how fast I can change focal length?

I decided to find out. I have the A*85 on loan from my brother for a month, so the team is complete.

From left to right:
SMC PENTAX-A* 1:1.8 135mm
SMC PENTAX-A 1:2.8 100mm
SMC PENTAX-A* 1:1.4 85mm
SMC PENTAX-A 1:1.7 50mm

(Stop drooling or go and get a napkin, so the show can begin)

Two sheriffs and their two deputies! And they are not happy about the new Kid who challenges them.
"Will he leave us in the camera bag for that crippled wining plastic newcomer?"

"Drop your aperture blades!" the sheriff shouts. "You are surrounded!"
The two sheriff's flash their green stars, the deputies closing the circle.
Who will win? Who will be used most in the future?

To be continued...

11-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
RaduA

Douglas,

Nice plot, a cast full of stars ... when can we see the movie??

Regards,
Radu
11-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #3

I am very much anticipating the "shootout".
11-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Douglas,

Nice plot, a cast full of stars ... when can we see the movie??

Regards,
Radu
Well, it depends a bit on real life and such. I have the A*85 till end of November, so if I want to keep the A lens line complete I have to do all shooting before that (and you know how complicated it is to shoot a "movie" if there are scenes left after one of the stars have left). At the same time, there is a major family occasion the last weekend of November and a major (and final) work shop right after on an EU research project where I'm the PI for Stockholm University... so life will be very busy towards the end of the month. It is a sure bet to say that the "movie" will not be finally "cut" until in December. But I will get enough done, I hope, to keep the plot (in this thread) going and hope at the same time to get feed back with good ideas of what to do with these lenses from fellow forum members. So far I've done some portraits at small to medium aperture numbers, some landscape, and some shooting on a walk-about at an amusement park, to try real life applications. And I've even been shooting the brick wall on the north side of our house at far to many apertures to want to remember, with tripod, remote shutter, SR off etc, viewfinder cap... Macro is on the list. Long evening exposures perhaps. Some technical shooting maybe. No definite promises.

11-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Shoot out at the OK Corral in Sweden ....Billy the Kid versus the Erp Brothers....man...this should be interesting....
11-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maleek Quote
I am very much anticipating the "shootout".
Thank you Maleek. Nice to see a fellow swede here... hey you have some quite good pictures on your flikr!
11-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eastern Shore Charlie Quote
Shoot out at the OK Corral in Sweden ....Billy the Kid versus the Erp Brothers....man...this should be interesting....
The plot came to me when I watched the picture with the A primes surrounding the DA zoom on the screen. "Hey, it look's like they gonna beet him up I thought." Then next second, when I saw the green stars: "It must be the Earp brothers and Doc Holliday who believe they have rounded up a gangster.", I thought. But not Billy the Kid, he never had a sheriff star, did he? And this zoom has a star.

11-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

C'mon Doug, less posting and more shooting
11-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Looking forward to this!
11-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

SMC PENTAX-A* 1:1.8 135mm
SMC PENTAX-A* 1:1.4 85mm

Drooling drooling drooling...

The people demand PHOTOS!!!!

11-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

my prediction

F2.8 + the difference will be indistinguishable

at which point SDM and Weather sealing, and the obvious size advantage will make the DA* superior.

however, if you must have F1.4... there is only a handful of lenses that will do that for you.
11-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Love the front picture of the 135mm F1.8... it's like there's nothing in the lens but glass..
11-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
eagerly awaiting the results,
quite interested how the "bandit" will fare against the "sheriffs and deputies"...
let us know soon...
11-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

By golly man, get to shooting!
11-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #15

Damn that glass looks nice. I could use those pics as a pinup on the wall.

The A50/1.2 would be icing on the cake.