Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2020, 08:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA*16-50mm and polarizing filters

So next I think I'm going to buy a circular polarizer for my newly acquired DA*16-50... I found a really good deal on a B+W Kaesemann CPL but I've seen reviews where it says these filters are too thick and they interfere with some lens hoods. Being that the filter would be inside the lens hood so that you could turn it with that filter opening - a new thing for me - is the DA*16-50 one of these lenses where the filter might not work with the hood? Does anyone have any experience with this?

06-15-2020, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I never had any issues with using any filters on my DA*16-50. I don't have that specific filter but I don have some filters that are thicker than others. None of them ever created an issue when using the lens hood.
06-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, that's good to know.
06-15-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe the thickness of any filter is more related to vignetting than lens hood issues.

06-15-2020, 10:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When it comes to those B + W Kaesemanns, it's probably worth checking if the offer you are considering is in XS-Pro (i.e. slim) or F-Pro (standard-thickness) mount. Incompatibilities with hoods can also arise from the fluting of the ring closest to the lens filter thread. Since I don't own the DA*16-50, I cannot tell if that is the case with that particular lens.

Also, B + W coatings can be slightly puzzling. Their better (multi) coating is called MRC, and if you want an additional water/oil-repellant effect (like Pentax SP coating) you'd have to look for MRC-nano. Their latest-version Kaesemanns are even available as HTC versions, I believe, which says that they're high-transmission and hence lose you only 1 or 2 stops of light. The Kaesemann designation itself basically tells you that they use selected polarizer foils (is that the word?) and seal the edges for use in tropical climates, as far as I recall.
06-16-2020, 03:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a Murami 77mm and was pretty happy with it. No particular vignetting that I could see.
06-16-2020, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
I believe the thickness of any filter is more related to vignetting than lens hood issues.
The reviews for this particular filter are due to the fact that it seems to expand outwards beyond the size of the filter threads.

I think this image kind of shows it:

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I got a Murami 77mm and was pretty happy with it. No particular vignetting that I could see.
I was looking at the Kaesemann because of the lower level of light loss that they have... 1 to 1.5 stops instead of two stops - and because I saw one really cheap though it's in a bit less than excellent condition.

There's a Marumi 77mm CPL High Grade Multi-Coated for really cheap in Excellent plus condition - at basically what a Tiffen would cost... hmmm maybe I should get that instead?

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
When it comes to those B + W Kaesemanns, it's probably worth checking if the offer you are considering is in XS-Pro (i.e. slim) or F-Pro (standard-thickness) mount. Incompatibilities with hoods can also arise from the fluting of the ring closest to the lens filter thread. Since I don't own the DA*16-50, I cannot tell if that is the case with that particular lens.

Also, B + W coatings can be slightly puzzling. Their better (multi) coating is called MRC, and if you want an additional water/oil-repellant effect (like Pentax SP coating) you'd have to look for MRC-nano. Their latest-version Kaesemanns are even available as HTC versions, I believe, which says that they're high-transmission and hence lose you only 1 or 2 stops of light. The Kaesemann designation itself basically tells you that they use selected polarizer foils (is that the word?) and seal the edges for use in tropical climates, as far as I recall.
Thanks. This is the older MRC version so it's the F-Pro, it's pretty thick but I think that might be fine as the glass seems to be more towards the back of the filter and the reviews all say people use it with superwides and it doesn't vignette. It seems the widening of the filter outer metal ring towards the front helps with that - but that's the part where I worry that it will not fit within the hood....
06-16-2020, 06:06 AM   #8
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The reviews for this particular filter are due to the fact that it seems to expand outwards beyond the size of the filter threads.

I think this image kind of shows it:
Thanks for this. I learn something new whenever I am here.

06-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #9

I have the B&W KSM HTC-POL MRC filter, F-PRO. It is quite thick compared to my other filters. But, have not had a problem with lens hoods with it. What I do have issue with, it is very stuff adjustment ring. (At lest my version). So much so that I don't use it and have purchased a GOBE CPL MRC filter instead. Much thinner and easier to adjust. YMMV.

Last edited by Roadboat24; 06-16-2020 at 07:27 AM.
06-16-2020, 11:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've seen those Gobe filters and the ones with the german glass sound very interesting. They do seem to leave a color cast though.

The Haida filters also look interesting and from looking at sample pictures it seems there's not much color cast, the colors are balanced and it doesn't seem to lose sharpness. Maybe they are rebadged Hoyas?

I read Gobe 3tier reviews and I think at Adorama someone was saying that the issue is with the metal frame, it's really cheaply made and the threads might not last very long - one reviewer said all of his filters had thread problems after light use. Since these are chinese versions of expensive filters, that doesn't surprise me... and I'm looking at a used Kaesemann that would cost less than those budget Gobes anyway!
07-15-2020, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So to bring closure to this thread... I did jump on a really good deal on the B+W Kaesemann - not the thin version but the regular version. It does not interfere with the DA*16-50mm hood at all, and the thick-ish rim makes it easy to use in the hood filter window. It was very useful in our recent trip to Florida, and not just for landscapes... I'm finding out that even for things like portraits, the compressed dynamic range of a Polarizer and the removal of almost all reflections, helps a lot - particularly with my younger son, whose light colored skin and hair usually give me a lot of blown out highlights. Also, you can see the actual eye color, instead of just mostly the light reflections on them.

Here are two of my boys (including the youngest) inside a restaurant in St Augustine, FL. Pentax K-S1, DA*16-50mm and B+W KSM CPL.
07-15-2020, 09:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

A beautiful shot of your fine-looking kids. Natural expressions- I often find candids more interesting than the common posed, "arranged" type. For me your example here offers insight I had not considered, using a polarizing filter for portraiture other than in scenes which obviously will benefit from using one, portrait or not. You are right- it can be an advantage! Any elimination of the effects of stray reflections can also enhance contrast while still protecting highlights and natural color. I will keep this in mind.

As to your concern regarding the filter's outer diameter bulging out, made me think of my own polarizing filters which in having the same characteristic, the outer rib being there so the rotational aspect is easier to grasp and use for adjustability. The thinner versions are in this regard more difficult to use, and as I have found, only actually necessary when using ultra-wide angle lenses in order to avoid vignetting.
07-16-2020, 04:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
and the thick-ish rim makes it easy to use in the hood filter window
Do you notice any vignetting at 16mm?
07-16-2020, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Do you notice any vignetting at 16mm?
Nothing noticeable at f8... but all my 16mm pictures show either "16.25mm" or "16.88mm" when I thought I had it all the way to 16mm. But that might be a K200D thing, it's doing funny things with how it records EXIF for the lenses. The pictures were probably at 16mm.