Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Chris Rankin must be interested in picking one up
He is...

06-23-2020, 08:18 AM - 3 Likes   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I love my FA77, but the bokeh from this lens is quite different, and from what I have seen, even nicer. I have no doubt it will be sharper wide open (and right across the frame), and a scalpel by f/2.0

I can't wait to do my own comparisons with the 77 and the FA*85. I suspect the latter will be up for sale fairly soon.
I JUST got mine, then the DFA images start posting. AND my wife, after seeing the horse and rider images, says buying the new DFA85 is OK with her, but wait for the price to discount. THAT'S a surprise!
06-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I JUST got mine, then the DFA images start posting. AND my wife, after seeing the horse and rider images, says buying the new DFA85 is OK with her, but wait for the price to discount. THAT'S a surprise!
My wife gave me permission to sell my body to get it.
I just don't think that's going to work for a 71 year old guy living in a town of 400 people..

Our suspicion is that most of the issues we have with purple fringing and CA in the 90-105 range would be handled nicely by this lens. And while our 90 macro and 100 macro are nice, the out of focus areas are better with the new 85.

Last edited by normhead; 06-23-2020 at 09:36 AM.
06-23-2020, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenObermeier Quote
The two lenses are not really comparable - I love the 77, 43 and 31 and I do about 90% of my paid work with those three lenses but the 85 cuts everything the old ltd lenses stand for - the unique look and let's call it character - The 85 is a surgery knife and is much less forgiving because of it's resolving ability. But it adds something to the kit I was always looking for - I want a 85 that simply delivers incredible IQ without any character or pixie dust or whatever all the pentaxians are looking for. I will get one for studio work - but I doubt it will be my walk-around lens, because with this thing mounted you are everything but not agile. It will be interesting to see what the astro community has to say about this glas - I would love to take some shots, but I have not really the abilities to do this in a way that the results would ok to judge.
Yes. I ordered the 85 because it is a reference lens, but I might not keep it if it is too clinical, like the DFA*50/1.4. I’ll never let go of my FA Limiteds.

06-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I just don't think that's going to work for a 71 year old guy living in a town of 400 people..

Our suspicion is that most of the issues we have with purple fringing and CA in the 90-105 range would be handled nicely by this lens. And while our 90 macro and 100 macro are nice, the out of focus areas are better with the new 85.
LOL! A 66-year old body like mine can't be that much more valuable
06-23-2020, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread is fast derailing into a potential train wreck. Please refrain from nastiness and pettiness and concentrate on the subject of the thread.

At this stage I have just deleted the excess baggage, but infractions and/or thread bans will ensue if this nonsense continues.
Maybe I have a suggestion to keep this on the rails.

Move the thread to the sample archive, as so far there are only the 85/1.4 images posted, and it will focus the discussion on the images people take with the lens

If you move it I will add it to the index

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 06-23-2020 at 01:08 PM.
06-23-2020, 02:06 PM - 2 Likes   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread is fast derailing into a potential train wreck. Please refrain from nastiness and pettiness and concentrate on the subject of the thread.

At this stage I have just deleted the excess baggage, but infractions and/or thread bans will ensue if this nonsense continues.
Wow! I missed all this?! To think this thread derailed so quickly without my assistance?! Guys... I'm impressed!

This is a heavy gun - coming from the 77 it feels like you have 3 times the weight in the hand. The camera with grip and lens is about 2770 grams. But the weight still feels well distributed.

---------- Post added 06-23-20 at 12:07 AM ----------

About the focusing - due to the shallow DOF I wished the K1 center AF point would be half the size or eye AF which is in dreamland - to focus on the iris for example is hard.
Yeah I was kinda worried about this, which is why I will be a patient good boy and wait for K-2 to come along where I think it will make the actual process of using this lens so much less frustrating. 'With great power comes great responsibility' are the words that come to my mind about this lens. Getting 1.4 shots perfectly right on an 85 is no easy task and right now it's not the lens that's the issue, it's what it's attached to. It's not the IQ or 36mp that comes from the K-1, just the other stuff that I am sure Pentax is working on and improving (and we should see some of those improvements soon, the K-new... a preview of what's coming for the K-2). Exciting times.

Thanks for the share boss.

I love my FA77, but the bokeh from this lens is quite different, and from what I have seen, even nicer. I have no doubt it will be sharper wide open (and right across the frame), and a scalpel by f/2.0

I can't wait to do my own comparisons with the 77 and the FA*85. I suspect the latter will be up for sale fairly soon.

06-23-2020, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #53

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Maybe I have a suggestion to keep this on the rails.

Move the thread to the sample archive, as so far there are only the 85/1.4 images posted, and it will focus the discussion on the images people take with the lens

If you move it I will add it to the index
This is not a final production lens so please don't do that.

---------- Post added 06-23-20 at 02:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Wow! I missed all this?! To think this thread derailed so quickly without my assistance?! Guys... I'm impressed!

Yeah I was kinda worried about this, which is why I will be a patient good boy and wait for K-2 to come along where I think it will make the actual process of using this lens so much less frustrating. 'With great power comes great responsibility' are the words that come to my mind about this lens. Getting 1.4 shots perfectly right on an 85 is no easy task and right now it's not the lens that's the issue, it's what it's attached to. It's not the IQ or 36mp that comes from the K-1, just the other stuff that I am sure Pentax is working on and improving (and we should see some of those improvements soon, the K-new... a preview of what's coming for the K-2). Exciting times.

Thanks for the share boss.

Eddy you are welcome - oops - I u covered your real name - we should go over to Facebook - there it is much easier to start a proper GIF war. I'm on the phone and it is a bit annoying doing that her in the mobile browser.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 06-23-2020 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Linguistic hygiene
06-23-2020, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eddy you are welcome - oops - I u covered your real name - we should go over to Facebook - there it is much easier to start a proper GIF war. I'm on the phone and it is a bit annoying doing that her in the mobile browser.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 06-23-2020 at 06:09 PM. Reason: linguistic hygiene
06-23-2020, 04:43 PM - 2 Likes   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
It's a skill to take pride in the same way burning toast is.
06-23-2020, 04:50 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben-G Quote
Yes, i know it...
Precisely smc fa 31mm Limited was an update design of Mr. Ito, Takayuki (伊藤 孝之) and Mr. Murata, Masayuki (村田 將之) on originally designed FA31/2.4 of HIRAKAWA, based itself on the optical formula of the old SMC 30mm F2.8

Jun Hirakawa has designed too the FA☆85mm f1.4 :

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/6d/72/ab/b20d043420abbb/US5172274.pdf
Having owned both the A* 85 and the FA 77 I can safely say they have similar DNA. Jun really hit the marks with those. I wish we had been able to see what the FA 31 f2.4 would have been like even though I love my FA 31 - the size of the f2.4 version might have been worth it - and who knows what other interesting tricks it may have had.
06-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You just need to be creative Norm, sell your mind.

I'm reminded of the Monty Python sketch where a guy pays to have an argument with someone else. Are you up to it?
06-23-2020, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

The last set of photo are absolutly marveleous. The popy are mystical
06-23-2020, 07:23 PM - 7 Likes   #59
Loyal Site Supporter

Not Happy after watching this post and checking out the high res shots I was impressed, then the poppies arrived and I was decided that I would purchase one when the next specials were on offer locally, damn email arrived from the local distributor for end of year sale 15% off. Order submitted and I blame the sneaky marketing department at Pentax for letting Stephen out with a copy to tempt the believers.......
Who says Pentax doesn't know how to market a lens
06-23-2020, 10:20 PM - 3 Likes   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fortunately, I didn't see the deleted posts, but I can report back from the Pentaxians Facebook group that they seem to have found the negativity almost traumatizing. Various members saying they once joined here but now don't bother coming or won't take part in discussions. It's embarrassing.