Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2020, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's a skill to take pride in the same way burning toast is.
AHhaha

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Fortunately, I didn't see the deleted posts, but I can report back from the Pentaxians Facebook group that they seem to have found the negativity almost traumatizing. Various members saying they once joined here but now don't bother coming or won't take part in discussions. It's embarrassing.
I think its just a 'Forum' vs 'Social Media' thing. It's not just Pentax Forums vs FB/Pentaxian group, I see it a lot in different non photography stuff as well. FB has a chilled out vibe whereby if someone is mean then folk just tend to pile up and rip them to pieces, whereas here there's a bit more PCness which results in some quite nasty passive aggressiveness that folk can't be bothered with. I don't worry about the differences that much but it is an interesting social experiment. I mean I can't swear here at all, yet I let it rip more on FB groups and no one cares

06-23-2020, 11:01 PM - 4 Likes   #62
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can report back from the Pentaxians Facebook group that they seem to have found the negativity almost traumatizing. Various members saying they once joined here but now don't bother coming or won't take part in discussions. It's embarrassing.
That is embarrassing, and concerning. It might be time for fewer warnings and more infractions.

Consider that a warning
06-23-2020, 11:15 PM - 2 Likes   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
That is embarrassing, and concerning. It might be time for fewer warnings and more infractions.

Consider that a warning
Yeah I honestly don't know how to go about cultivating a better atmosphere where we have a more chilled out atmosphere and less passive aggressiveness. I do find it interesting that my jovial jocking attitude seems to be better understood over there than here, I dunno... like people 'get me' more in that realm. Possibly because the rules are more relaxed, a swear word can fly etc. <shrugs>. Sometimes I wonder if anyone here really understands the Bruce/Eddy thing, it's not like I haven't been here for a few years now!
06-24-2020, 12:40 AM - 6 Likes   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Consider that a warning
Certainly, the OP, Stephen, was bemused. He's a good bloke, owns his own advertising agency in Germany, great photographer himself, and the heart and soul of the Pentaxians Yearbook, a labour of love for which he can never be properly compensated. He simply posted pics he'd taken personally almost as a favour to members here who wanted to see samples other than the official ones released.

I can't see in this thread now anything negative towards his efforts, but I guess a cleanup was done that was as good as Harvey Keitel's in Pulp Fiction.

We have less outright trolls than ever before, as far as I can tell, but there's still a few of the Pentax is Doomed set who always have me thinking, it's not worth coming to this forum anymore.

06-24-2020, 12:43 AM - 8 Likes   #65
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess a cleanup was done that was as good as Harvey Keitel's in Pulp Fiction.
Just call me Mr Wolfe
06-24-2020, 12:58 AM - 3 Likes   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Certainly, the OP, Stephen, was bemused. He's a good bloke, owns his own advertising agency in Germany, great photographer himself, and the heart and soul of the Pentaxians Yearbook, a labour of love for which he can never be properly compensated. He simply posted pics he'd taken personally almost as a favour to members here who wanted to see samples other than the official ones released.

I can't see in this thread now anything negative towards his efforts, but I guess a cleanup was done that was as good as Harvey Keitel's in Pulp Fiction.

We have less outright trolls than ever before, as far as I can tell, but there's still a few of the Pentax is Doomed set who always have me thinking, it's not worth coming to this forum anymore.
Clackers is here to support me, it's like his community service to Australia.
06-24-2020, 02:15 AM - 6 Likes   #67

Original Poster

Oh Ian -These are very kind words - thank you - and I like the Pulp Fiction picture you are drawing. I used a Tarantino image too in a FB thread about the 85 - The 85 is a surgery knife and the 77 is the Hattori Hanzo sword :-)

06-24-2020, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenObermeier Quote
The 77 is the Hattori Hanzo sword :-)
It makes the photographer a painter - where the only colour is red?
06-24-2020, 02:37 AM - 4 Likes   #69

Original Poster
It makes the photographer a painter - where the only colour is red?
More a very sharp weapon with it's own character and uniqueness - If the Result is red - good enough for me, I got a faible for that color (btw. pic was shot with the 77 on a K1)
Attached Images

06-24-2020, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

I agree that the Pentaxian Facebook group seems to be a more pleasant place these days.

It is true, PF is edging to DPR type vibe these days and this is sad.
06-24-2020, 05:42 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure PF has changed much in the years I've been a member. Occasionally a thread winds some folk up while most of us probably just watch it blow about like tumble weed in an old western knowing the moderators will deal with it and we can move on. Trolls are generally obvious enough to be ignored. Perhaps a few please and thank yous might help. Also, being prepared to change ones mind might be helpful as I doubt nobody here is always right ...
06-24-2020, 06:15 AM   #72
Pentaxian

I can live with pleasant....
06-24-2020, 06:30 AM - 2 Likes   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

Fortunately, I didn't see the deleted posts, but I can report back from the Pentaxians Facebook group that they seem to have found the negativity almost traumatizing. Various members saying they once joined here but now don't bother coming or won't take part in discussions. It's embarrassing.
They would have real problems with the DPR forums.
Heck, I’m nowhere near as nice in real life as I am here.
Being critical of the brand is important for discussion. That criticism needs to be constructive though. Being critical of ideas is part of discussion, but should not turn into personal attacks.

---------- Post added Jun 24th, 2020 at 07:37 AM ----------

This thread is going way off topic.

I discovered the ignore function a while back. If I sense a person is trolling, or is simply arguing for the sake of scoring internet points, that person gets the honour of being put on my ignore list.
For me it’s self defence. I don’t suffer fools in silence, with the consequence I tend to get more vacations than I want.

Let’s go back to what the thread is supposed to be about.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 06-24-2020 at 06:39 AM.
06-24-2020, 06:44 AM - 4 Likes   #74
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Being critical of the brand is important for discussion. That criticism needs to be constructive though. Being critical of ideas is part of discussion, but should not turn into personal.
Exactly right.
Heck, I’m nowhere near as nice in real life as I am here.
That's a bit disturbing.
06-24-2020, 06:58 AM - 2 Likes   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Exactly right.
That's a bit disturbing.
Only a bit?