Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #61
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Well Amazon shows it in stock again. Although it says "low stock". So maybe it was just a temporary supply chain issue.

As to the merits of the DA*60-250 I agree with @Wheatfield I absolutely love this lens but its dated and is badly in need of a refresh. That's just my opinion and not Pentax bashing (just so we are clear). Optically its excellent and the focal range fits my style very well. I sincerely hope Pentax does the 16-50 thing on the 60-250.
Yay!

It is good to see that product is still trickling across the Pacific.

A few weeks ago, I attempted to source the generally-readily-available 387S button cell and was shocked to find that silver oxide button cells were generally unavailable. One could buy alkaline versions by no Ag2O for you!

Amazingly, that is not longer the case (relief) and whatever was disrupting the supply has been resolved.

Steve

07-02-2020, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I certainly hope they do not work that way. That's the reverse of Lean manufacturing. Inventory takes up space, costs money, and brings no income until it sells.
I think that’s pretty much the way it works. It costs time and money to set up lens grinding and polishing machines, coating evaporators and whatever extrusion molds and CNC tools for barrels, etc.. Financially, a fairly long run of these tools - and any components purchased - is required to justify the expense.

Ergo, batch manufacturing and large initial inventories. The alternative is significantly higher unit prices.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-03-2020 at 04:44 AM.
07-03-2020, 05:08 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think that’s pretty much the way it works. It costs time and money to set up lens grinding and polishing machines, coating evaporators and whatever extrusion molds and CNC tools for barrels, etc.. Financially, a fairly long run of these tools - and any components purchased - is required to justify the expense.

Ergo, batch manufacturing and large initial inventories. The alternative is significantly higher unit prices.
Small batches, granted. A batch being the number of parts which can enter in a coating chamber. That would constitute a production "unit" as far as Lean manufacturing is concerned. As for the setup time and costs, applying SMED (single minute exchange of dye) strategies are the way to go.

These processes were invented by the japanese and improved after the second world war. It's sometimes called the "Toyota method" and its productivity and cost benefits have been tested over and over
07-03-2020, 05:37 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Small batches, granted. A batch being the number of parts which can enter in a coating chamber. That would constitute a production "unit" as far as Lean manufacturing is concerned. As for the setup time and costs, applying SMED (single minute exchange of dye) strategies are the way to go.

These processes were invented by the japanese and improved after the second world war. It's sometimes called the "Toyota method" and its productivity and cost benefits have been tested over and over ;)
Sure - for large-scale, complex manufacturing. That all assumes capabilities and flexibility of machines (capital allocation decision) and high-level production process decisions (run-time cost decision). We can debate modern production theory all day long, but we don’t know the current effects and handcuffs from prior decisions that may limit Ricoh”s production process engineers even today*.

* Recall the D FA*50/1.4 pre-order production delays. PM Mistral75 about this. Apparently their legacy machines could not produce an acceptably large percentage of to-spec lenses when running at production speed. Too many lenses were sent back for manual adjustment prior to sale.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-04-2020 at 09:08 AM.
07-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Well Amazon shows it in stock again. Although it says "low stock". So maybe it was just a temporary supply chain issue.

As to the merits of the DA*60-250 I agree with @Wheatfield I absolutely love this lens but its dated and is badly in need of a refresh. That's just my opinion and not Pentax bashing (just so we are clear). Optically its excellent and the focal range fits my style very well. I sincerely hope Pentax does the 16-50 thing on the 60-250.
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Zoom-schmoom! Zoom with your feet, except near cliffs/traffic/nasty animals.

Lovely lenses, but I'm a Limited snob.

Where's our DA 133.14159... F3.14156 Limited, Ricoh?

Cheers,
Cameron
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Having a difference of opinion about the relative merits of one Pentax lens or another is hardly Pentax-bashing, or did I miss something here? Why would people who are choosing to spend their savings on new Pentax gear have an interest in debasing the brand? Baffling, rather than sad, I think.
I have no problem with people chirping in with their myopic anti-Pentax opinions when called for. It wasn't called for in tis thread.

When I see someone actually looking for a lens, a usually assume they are aware of SDM issues, have some sense of it's reliability and are making an informed choice.

There is no lens made that never fails and has never had issues out of the box. Unless you know that there's better out there, information claiming yours failed doesn't tell you anything. We have reported failures on DFA* lenses, that ahve only been out a few years. The DA* 60-250 has been out close to 10 years. Of course there will have been some failures. But, IMHO the lens is still worth the money today. And part of that is because I have 10 years of images taken with it.

SO my complaint is not with a difference of opinion, it's with misinformation from people basing thier opinion on too small a sample.

But, this thread is not about that.
And we scrtainly don't need people chirping in about how they didn't stick with it and get good copy, every time the lens is brought up.

Before I bought my DA* 60-250 I returned 2 copies of the Sigma 120-400. My a AD*60-250. wasn't lens a failure problem, it was a lens failure solution. With the HD DA 1.4 TC, it was a lens failure solution. And with what mine has been through, I doubt there's another lens on the planet that would have held up. 5 serious drops, one from 5.5 feet off the top of a tripod, and 2 repairs. It did get a little stiff to work the zoom, but it never stopped working, and continued to work until I felt I could send it in for repair. This lens isn't a reliability failure, this lens is a reliability hero. Especially since I saw a roughly equivalent Canon fall of a 12 inch log and break in half.

Do you really think we need to hear about how easily you give up on a lens over and over in every thread where the lens is mentioned?

But again. What does this have to do with the topic at hand?

The topic is where can I get a DA*60-250, not do you want one, and not were you a failure at getting a good copy.

Last edited by normhead; 07-03-2020 at 03:33 PM.