Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2020, 03:50 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
On that basis, a refresh of the 60-250 should be easier than what they’re doing with the 16-50 (new body, new AF drive, new glass?).
I expect they would need to do something similar wit the 60-250. A new style SDM motor would require a very different housing from the old Sudden Death Motor.

06-27-2020, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The anti-Pentax vitriol is astounding.

No thread is too benign to avoid infection with anti-Pentax bile.

I'm completely tired of constantly having to deal with this anti-Pentax negativity.

I can live with Pentax. DA*60-250 is a fantastic lens and has been a great performer for me. This endless bashing is exactly what turns people off of this site.
It's certainly turned me off.

See y'all when I see ya I guess. I'll return when I've managed to wash the bad taste out of my mouth, if I don't find anything better. Better photographers than me avoid this place.
06-27-2020, 06:58 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The anti-Pentax vitriol is astounding.

No thread is too benign to avoid infection with anti-Pentax bile.

I'm completely tired of constantly having to deal with this anti-Pentax negativity.

I can live with Pentax. DA*60-250 is a fantastic lens and has been a great performer for me. This endless bashing is exactly what turns people off of this site.
It's certainly turned me off.

See y'all when I see ya I guess. I'll return when I've managed to wash the bad taste out of my mouth, if I don't find anything better. Better photographers than me avoid this place.
I had the same thoughts last night.
06-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sad..

06-27-2020, 04:29 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Having a difference of opinion about the relative merits of one Pentax lens or another is hardly Pentax-bashing, or did I miss something here? Why would people who are choosing to spend their savings on new Pentax gear have an interest in debasing the brand? Baffling, rather than sad, I think.
06-28-2020, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well Amazon shows it in stock again. Although it says "low stock". So maybe it was just a temporary supply chain issue.

As to the merits of the DA*60-250 I agree with @Wheatfield I absolutely love this lens but its dated and is badly in need of a refresh. That's just my opinion and not Pentax bashing (just so we are clear). Optically its excellent and the focal range fits my style very well. I sincerely hope Pentax does the 16-50 thing on the 60-250.
06-28-2020, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Well Amazon shows it in stock again. Although it says "low stock". So maybe it was just a temporary supply chain issue.

As to the merits of the DA*60-250 I agree with @Wheatfield I absolutely love this lens but its dated and is badly in need of a refresh. That's just my opinion and not Pentax bashing (just so we are clear). Optically its excellent and the focal range fits my style very well. I sincerely hope Pentax does the 16-50 thing on the 60-250.
HD Pentax-DA* -/- ED DC AW
  • 11~18/2.8
  • 16~50/2.8
  • 50~135/2.8
  • 60~250/4
  • plus K-new
would be a stellar APSc system.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-28-2020 at 09:44 AM.
06-28-2020, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

Supply chains are broken worldwide. I would be more concerned if all the lenses were NOT sold out or in low supply. That would mean nobody wants them. Go try and buy a bicycle. There aren't any and most are backordered 6 weeks. A lot of manufacturing has shut down or working with skeleton crews. All it would take is one little part unavailable and a whole assembly line shuts down.
06-28-2020, 01:11 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Supply chains are broken worldwide.
True for sure but I would not expect the DA*60-250 to be a current production item. I've always assumed lenses (and cameras) were made in batches and then inventoried. Which is why I was surprised to see it out of stock in several places. I guess my underlying hope was that inventory was running low which might cause Pentax to to redevelop it as they did (or are doing) with the 16-50. Anyway it appears to be back in stock now. Maybe there was a run of sales that depleted local inventory.
06-28-2020, 02:43 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

True for sure but I would not expect the DA*60-250 to be a current production item. I've always assumed lenses (and cameras) were made in batches and then inventoried. Which is why I was surprised to see it out of stock in several places. I guess my underlying hope was that inventory was running low which might cause Pentax to to redevelop it as they did (or are doing) with the 16-50. Anyway it appears to be back in stock now. Maybe there was a run of sales that depleted local inventory.
They’re in stock at the Ricoh Webstore. (I Know the link says 16-50 but it takes you to the order page for the 60-250. I copied the link from the Webstore.
smc PENTAX-DA? 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL[IF] SDM - Ricoh

Maybe they’re out of stock at the Ricoh warehouse which I think is in New Jersey,

Last edited by monochrome; 06-28-2020 at 02:48 PM.
06-29-2020, 06:25 AM   #56
Pentaxian

We probably won't know. These are trying times. A lot of people have been laid off from work and have time to pursue their hobbies. There may have been a run on some lenses or, maybe the last batch was selling out and supply chain delays caused the backorders. I kind of have concerns for all the camera manufacturers right now. People for the most part aren't spending money on things they don't need and lockdowns aren't good for photographers, whether they are hobbyists or pros. I take a lot of photos at motorcycle events and some of them have been taking place. A lot of my shots go to a regional magazine. But this year has been a "no photos" year as nobody wants to be identified as being out and about and organizers don't want problems if some busy body counts 51 people when there is a 50 person limit for events.
07-02-2020, 07:51 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its not just production that is affected. Both sea and air freight are disrupted. We are all likely aware that the lack of international flights has disrupted air freight. Not so well known is that sea borne container freight is disrupted. Ship lines are cancelling sailings at limited notice to avoid losses on lightly loaded ships so freight forwarders suddenly have to scramble to find alternative sailings for their containers to travel on, and throwing stock replenishment ETA's out.
07-02-2020, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

Pentax decided that the baffle is required in the 60-250 and they will have a good reason to do so, even if some people don’t (want) to see a difference on FF. Pentax decided that a 70-210 is needed for full frame. Keep on dreaming that they follow any of your ideas to sacrifice image quality one or kill sales of a another brand new lens.
07-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #59
Veteran Member

If you like zooms...

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
HD Pentax-DA* -/- ED DC AW
  • 11~18/2.8
  • 16~50/2.8
  • 50~135/2.8
  • 60~250/4
  • plus K-new
would be a stellar APSc system.
Zoom-schmoom! Zoom with your feet, except near cliffs/traffic/nasty animals.

Lovely lenses, but I'm a Limited snob.

Where's our DA 133.14159... F3.14156 Limited, Ricoh?

Cheers,
Cameron
07-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've always assumed lenses (and cameras) were made in batches and then inventoried.
I certainly hope they do not work that way. That's the reverse of Lean manufacturing. Inventory takes up space, costs money, and brings no income until it sells.