Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Ah, then they must not be shipping to Europe (or specifically to Germany), I haven't seen any A-series 400mm in a while.[COLOR="Silver"]

:
They are listed on the German ebay site when you select "worldwide" location

for example: TOP +++!!! Pentax SMC A 400mm f/5.6 K Mount Lens | eBay

07-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was about to get one of those 400/5.6 (I think the RMC II-branded version, not the SD) but it got away. I've been quite happy with the bunch of Tokinas I've used and seen so I was sure I'd get a reasonable performer, but oh well.
Here is the best bird photo I got from the manual focus version. Underexposed but you can see it full sized for sharpness. It's a straight JPG conversion.

So it's not terrible. The SD or AT-X versions should have better fringing performance. It is sharper than my HD 55-300 WR (non-PLM). For me, it's in that gray area of "good, for a price". I'd say for $100, it's great, good for $150, but up at $200 I'd start to wonder if I shouldn't have saved up for something better.

I'll probably use the AT-X version for the upcoming penumbral eclipse.
07-01-2020, 05:46 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Yeah, the PLM was one of the options because it would double as hiking lens with the 28-105 for a more or less "do everything" light kit with more than decent IQ. I just have been hesitant to pull the trigger because I'm coming off of buying the 77
That 70-300 is a nice medium telephoto lens. It might be an interesting investment if you plan on using it the way you mentioned.
07-02-2020, 03:33 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Apart from the aforementioned SMC Pentax A 400mm f/5.6, I also have a Tokina RMC 400mm f/5.6. I haven't had it for long but initial impressions have been good. It's quite a bit smaller and lighter than the Pentax. This is a good thing but actually works against you when hand holding it. Things are a bit wobbly and unstable, especially on crop frame, without the heft of the Pentax that I have grown used to over the years. The Tokina does not have a tripod foot but it does have internal focus. Image quality is pretty good, but contrast isn't quite good enough for it to work with the SMC Pentax F 1.7x AF Converter. If you can find one for the right price i.e. a lot less than a Pentax, grab it. If the prices are similar, I would take the Pentax.

07-03-2020, 03:06 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, there's a lot to take in and decide on .
I've been checking the Noflexar 400 since it looks like the IQ is great, I'm interested in the pistol grip and the 24 blades (!) iris is very cool, but apparently all the T-Noflexar versions are fairly expensive and I would have to get the Pentax adapter separately (Novoflex charges 65€ for a simple double-bayonet metal chunk and I've found no off-brand alternatives ). It's gonna be on my wishlist until I get my hands on one now, though . Ideally with the 240mm and 600mm heads as well...
The 55-300 might be worth getting regardless (either PLM or WR depending on good offers) just because of how much of a cracker it is.
I'm also on the lookout for the Sigma or Tokina 400/5.6 just in case.
...and I almost pulled the trigger yesterday on a 150€ Enna München Tele-Ennalyt 400/4.5 monster, then realized that my travel-friendly Manfrotto Compact wouldn't be up to the task of holding that much weight

So now I'm probably gonna end up spending more than I originally intended, you guys are great

And now I just came across a Tair-3S in what looks like fairly good condition for a hundred, shipped. Agh.

Last edited by Serkevan; 07-03-2020 at 03:16 AM.
07-03-2020, 03:38 AM   #36
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been checking the Noflexar 400 since it looks like the IQ is great, I'm interested in the pistol grip and the 24 blades (!) iris is very cool...
And now I just came across a Tair-3S in what looks like fairly good condition for a hundred, shipped. Agh.
I have three (different era) Tair-3 PhS kits, all with the pistol grip and stock, but I've been reticent to use them in that configuration - because, at a distance, I fear they look rather too much like weapons

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-03-2020 at 03:46 AM.
07-03-2020, 03:56 AM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . you guys are great . . .
well, in my opinion, there are different types of members here

some are eager to convince you on how to spend your money

some of those are quite knowledgeable

while some are a little less knowledgeable [ which would include me ]

I am convinced however that the vast majority of members just want you to have fun with your photography

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-03-2020 at 04:06 AM.
07-03-2020, 06:07 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Novoflex charges 65€ for a simple double-bayonet metal chunk
Note that's for the "B", "C" and "D" novoflexes with novoflex "A" mount, the earliest ones are different. My suggestion of one with a bellows* would be an "A" or "B" and the bellows is different again. You would probably be able to make a t-mount fit (as is the case with the one I have). I wrote the description on the review page, I recommend you browse that, and the links to a PF thread and other web pages.
Note too tripod mounting issues. Later ones have a 3/8" thread in between the hand grips, I managed to make that work with a custom plate. Early ones are a PITA, I have sold several custom diy'ed tripod mount rings for those. "B"'s usually have a TM ring towards the front end.

*There are several listed on ebay from Germany for ~€100-200. Not unreasonable.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 07-03-2020 at 06:22 AM.
07-03-2020, 06:19 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I have three (different era) Tair-3 PhS kits, all with the pistol grip and stock, but I've been reticent to use them in that configuration - because, at a distance, I fear they look rather too much like weapons
Yeah, I'd probably just use that for some specific moments but I wouldn't want to carry it in pistol-grip mode, not only because of the obvious visual cues but also because I prefer using a belt for the camera and it would be grossly incompatible

---------- Post added 07-03-20 at 06:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Note that's for the later "C" and "D" novoflexes with novoflex "A" mount, the earlier ones are different. My suggestion of one with a bellows* would be one of those earlier ones, and you would probably be able to make a t-mount fit (as is the case with the one I have). I wrote the description on the review page, I recommend you browse that, and the links to a PF thread and other web pages.
Note too tripod mounting issues. Later ones have a 3/8" thread in between the hand grips, I managed to make that work with a custom plate. Early ones are a PITA, I have sold several custom diy'ed tripod mount rings for those. "B"'s usually have a TM ring towards the front end.
Aha, I see... that's an unexpected issue, I thought all the bayonets were the same

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
*There are two like this listed on ebay from Germany for ~€200. More than I would pay but not unreasonable.
Yep, on one I got an auto offer from Ebay bringing the price to about ~150€ for the T-noflexar version but it comes without any adapter, so it's probably more hassle than it's worth
07-03-2020, 06:24 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NB corrections
07-10-2020, 01:30 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So today I did the cursory "Pentax 400" search on Ebay, and found a Sigma 400mm f/5.6 in PKA mount (manual focus, though, but no big deal) in "excellent optical and mechanical condition" from a reputable UK seller, listed 3 hours ago. Considering it was ~90€ with delivery and I suddenly got older last week, it's already paid for

I look forward to jumping into the long-telephoto waters with my new beatstick :3
At least I will be able to fend off Bert's black bears
07-10-2020, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The non-apo sigma 400 f5.6 is quite sharp but a bit of a fringing monster! The IF focus is very very light touch.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 07-10-2020 at 06:28 AM.
07-10-2020, 07:22 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I look forward to jumping into the long-telephoto waters with my new beatstick :3
At least I will be able to fend off Bert's black bears
Considering the build quality of the Pentax 400, I feel the bears would come out worse

Now whether the Sigma is up for it, well, you just have to try it and see...

Enjoy your new purchase!
07-10-2020, 07:26 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Considering the build quality of the Pentax 400, I feel the bears would come out worse

Now whether the Sigma is up for it, well, you just have to try it and see...

Enjoy your new purchase!
Well, it's neither a Pentax nor a Tokina, so it's most likely going to be a single use panic button
Now there's just gonna be a week or so of waiting, international mail can take a while.
07-10-2020, 07:32 AM   #45
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . .At least I will be able to fend off Bert's black bears
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Considering the build quality of the Pentax 400, I feel the bears would come out worse . . .
don't make me report you two to the ANAA (Asociacion Nacional Amigos de los Animales) and BC SPCA

[ cruelty to animals is no joke but I couldn't help myself ]