Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2020, 08:15 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Pentax M 50 f4 Macro seems nice but I've never used one. The rendering of images with it is what turns me on.

07-03-2020, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
I love the DFA 50 Macro and its ability to do catch-in focus. Only real problem is that you need to be at only be a few centimeters from the front element for 1:1 macro (risk of shadowing the subject with the lens itself).
I don't think the Catch in Focus is an option on my K1, but perhaps this is a function that's only available if certain criteria are present. I'll have to check this again. Thanks for the reminder.

---------- Post added 07-03-20 at 09:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The Pentax M 50 f4 Macro seems nice but I've never used one. The rendering of images with it is what turns me on.
Interesting option... Inexpensive and versatile. I'll go see if I can find one in the market place. Thanks!

---------- Post added 07-03-20 at 09:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bratzmahn Quote
Maybe you'll try the IRIX 150mm f2.8 macro?
It is very sharp, a fun to focus with and solid built - also weatherproof!
And the price is not that much...
Irix 150mm F2.8 Macro 1:1 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Here are two examples of the results you can get...
Beautiful shots and very tempting. I've been eyeing this baby since it came out. Thanks for sharing the images.

---------- Post added 07-03-20 at 09:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I agree with @pepperberry farm that because there are many options, and you already have an excellent DFA Pentax 100mm Macro WR, you need to show us macro images that you'd like to do but haven't been able to with your lens.

I would argue that if your macro is essentially doing what you need in terms of magnification, speed, and distance, then I'd recommend getting a ring flash for macro shots. This Metz Mecablitz 15 MS-1 Macro Ringlight Digital Flash Kit can be attached to the front of your lens and because of the increased light, will give you more depth of field and eliminate motion blur.

Metz Mecablitz 15 MS-1 Macro Ringlight Digital Flash Kit MZ
You know, you are right, perhaps I don't mean that I'm looking for a better lens but something a bit different. The 100mm is awesome and I don't expect I'd see much better lens, so I think the term that I should have said was 'different'.... I'm going to look around for a Pentax M 50 f4 Macro, its inexpensive and gives me a different perspective.

Also, You bring up an excellent point. I have my Sigma ring flash which I should take out and give it another try. I thought my last set of images looked a bit flat, maybe my shooting was off. I'll pull that back out and see what I can do with it.

There's always the $600 IRIX 150mm that I've been eyeing, but like others have said, the 100mm is pretty amazing. Would the 150mm replace it or simply give me a different experience.

Thanks!
07-03-2020, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lazarustx Quote
Hey folks,
I have and love my Pentax D FA Macro 100mm WR. This lens is on my KiMkii most of the time, and I find no fault with it..

I don't shoot bugs or critters so I'm not too worried about reach nor how close I do have to get...

But I do wonder if there are other macro lens that I might want to consider shooting with. I love this lens, but it might be fun to pick up a new lens and give it a try.

Suggestions welcome.

Regards,
Rodney
Just a quick response, i am shooting a K-70 with a couple of different lenses, one being the HD DA 35 Macro

Another is the Irix 150 Macro which is a FF lens used on a crop sensor, samples here on Flickr!
Search: Pentax | Flickr

Cheers!
07-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think the Catch in Focus is an option on my K1, but perhaps this is a function that's only available if certain criteria are present. I'll have to check this again. Thanks for the reminder.
Manual focus lens + camera on AF-S focus-priority.

Steve

07-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Catch-in focus is doable with any manual focus lens and with autofocus with either af/mf button on lens or clamp (M 100 macro will work, DFA 50 Macro will work, DFA 100 macro non-wr will work). You will need a longer focal length (15mm macro won't do) for it to be reliable though and will need to set a special setting in your camera to enable it.
07-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 100mm is awesome and I don't expect I'd see much better lens, so I think the term that I should have said was 'different'.... I'm going to look around for a Pentax M 50 f4 Macro, its inexpensive and gives me a different perspective.

Also, You bring up an excellent point. I have my Sigma ring flash which I should take out and give it another try. I thought my last set of images looked a bit flat, maybe my shooting was off.
There's always the $600 IRIX 150mm that I've been eyeing, but like others have said, the 100mm is pretty amazing. Would the 150mm replace it or simply give me a different experience.
The ring flash will certainly make your images more flat as it will essentially fill and eliminate most shadows. So if when shooting macro you have nice ambient backlighting or spot lighting then really no need for that flash. But in situations like a dark forest or interiors where the light is forcing you to use a high ISO, the flash will give you a vivid and crisp image albeit with a compromise you mentioned.

In terms of a different macro lens relative to your WR DFA 100mm macro, this is the order of what you can most expect in differences:

a) Focal length. Generally the longer the focal length the better because it allows you to be further from the subject which is helpful for live critters and/or to not worry about casting your own shadow in the frame. The trade off is size. Thus with a 150mm you can crop less in editing for 'spiders and snakes' and shoot at a safer distance. Or it's not an issue with casting your own shadow, but creating a reflection of yourself or the lens/camera. Wearing a colorful jacket or shirt will also cast more of that color onto the subject when you're closer.

b) Speed. Manual focusing an f/4 will be harder than an f/2.8 that also has the option for AF.

c) WR. Light rain, tide pools, cave grotto, dusty day? Problematic without WR. Or simply going from an air conditioned car out into a hot humid day.

IF you don't already have a 50mm prime, then I can see the appeal of getting a 50mm macro for a FF sensor. For example, the DA 35mm Macro Limited is a sharp jewel for APS-C street shooters. My personal experience is that with less than 60mm on a FF film or sensor, my lens hood or front element is just too close for many macro subjects where I'm focused on coping with my proximity instead of the shot itself.
07-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Pentax 50 macro, the Sigma 24 macro, the Sigma 70 macro, the Tamron 90 macro and the Pentax 100 macro. We use the Pentax 100 and Tamron 90 with the Pentax 1.4, F 1.7x AF adapter and Tamron 2x 7 element TC.

The 100 macro is my choice, because my wife chose the Tamron 90, because it's the lightest of the lot, because it's the only dust sealed water resident of the lot and it's by far the smallest in the camera bag. It works great with all the TCs if you want more magnification or reach. I'd look at the F 1.7x AF adapter before I'd look at a different lens were I in your position. But I find you can never have too many macros. Looking or a second to my 100 macro, (realizing my wife is going to be upset if I take the Tamron 90) I'd probably take the Sigma 70 macro next. wouldn't even look at MF lenses. There's just too much of what I do that they don't.

Basically, I've never heard of a poor macro. Lens manufacturers tend to put some effort into their design. After the 100, which I'd buy for all the reasons listed, I'd just buy the focal length I'm interested in working with.

07-04-2020, 05:23 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A caveat is making sure a lens that says Macro on it is a true Macro. I've got an Albinar 28mm f2.8 "Macro" that is really just a close-focusing 28mm with not very good image quality. Macro labeling used to be applied to a lot of lenses that would focus closely but not offer much magnification. Thankfully those days seem mostly behind us.