Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all the excellent suggestions. I visit a lot of message boards for my different hobbies and feel this board is hands down the best in terms of knowledge base, congeniality and for helping novices like myself.

I am indeed going to Tetons, Yellowstone as some of the other posters mentioned in their posts. I've come to realize that the super long lenses like the Soligor are too limiting for my use. Too long/heavy. To much of a "one trick pony" - too long for many things. I don't see birding and wildlife photography as a major interest of mine for now, nor is there opportunity to use such a lens much living in the city.

Still not sure I'm willing to put down money (albeit not much) for a mirror lens given their reputation.

I decided that there may be very little opportunity for using a super telephoto, but a lot of opportunity for using a more versatile, shorter lens.

Therefore I think that I'll get Tamron adaptall Sp 60-300. +/- teleconverter. It seems to be a very well thought of lens even by comparison to modern lenses. It's cheap. I think I'll get a lot of use out of the shorter end of it's range too.

I have always been leery of TC, but the Tamron seems to get fair reviews (the 2x "01F") so for the price it may be good to have in case he need arises.
Are there other TC I should be considering? My only reservation is that it'd only be useful on adaptall lenses (which is also a plus in that I wouldn't have to use a separate adapter). I've got a Soligor 2x, but I think it's not considered very good.

Although I also have a Nikon D3100, I think I will try to adapt this lens to my Lumix GH3, as it seems to be a more capable camera and more importantly because I don't think lower end cameras like the D3100 will meter using adapted, older glass.

Thanks so much.

07-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But what were the images like?

I got a Grizzly image where I had a Tamron 18-300 and it was fine. It all depends on circumstances. I use to go through Yellowstone about every 5 years, for a total of 3 trips and never had a chance to use a longer lens, even if I'd had one.
The guy who lent me that lens also told me that I should just use a wide angle lens so I also took a shot at 10mm on my Kr however he could not see the bear. Think he was hinting that I should just get in close and be bear food. Yes I've gotten just as close up shots with a 70-200 of bears in Waterton or Banff.
07-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Thanks so much for all the excellent suggestions. I visit a lot of message boards for my different hobbies and feel this board is hands down the best in terms of knowledge base, congeniality and for helping novices like myself.

I am indeed going to Tetons, Yellowstone as some of the other posters mentioned in their posts. I've come to realize that the super long lenses like the Soligor are too limiting for my use. Too long/heavy. To much of a "one trick pony" - too long for many things. I don't see birding and wildlife photography as a major interest of mine for now, nor is there opportunity to use such a lens much living in the city.

Still not sure I'm willing to put down money (albeit not much) for a mirror lens given their reputation.

I decided that there may be very little opportunity for using a super telephoto, but a lot of opportunity for using a more versatile, shorter lens.

Therefore I think that I'll get Tamron adaptall Sp 60-300. +/- teleconverter. It seems to be a very well thought of lens even by comparison to modern lenses. It's cheap. I think I'll get a lot of use out of the shorter end of it's range too.

I have always been leery of TC, but the Tamron seems to get fair reviews (the 2x "01F") so for the price it may be good to have in case he need arises.
Are there other TC I should be considering? My only reservation is that it'd only be useful on adaptall lenses (which is also a plus in that I wouldn't have to use a separate adapter). I've got a Soligor 2x, but I think it's not considered very good.

Although I also have a Nikon D3100, I think I will try to adapt this lens to my Lumix GH3, as it seems to be a more capable camera and more importantly because I don't think lower end cameras like the D3100 will meter using adapted, older glass.

Thanks so much.
I use a Tamron 2x MC7 with my K-1, I'm not as happy with it on my K-3. But my recommendation would be an F 1.7 x. AF adapter, which might cost you twice as much as the lens, but would provide limited AF. Based on my own experience, I'd look at a 1.4 rather than the 2x.

Last edited by normhead; 07-11-2020 at 01:33 PM.
07-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #34
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try the soligor 2x TC. You never can be sure in advance how well or poorly the lens + TC combo will be.
I have the 1.4x tamron AD-2 TC, and I think you are as likely to have good results w/ a non-AD-2 coupling, and more versatility, as Tamron AD-2 TC only works with AD-2 lens (as you knew).
Also if getting the AD-2 1.4 x make sure it works with AD-2 lens you are getting. As I recall it is not all of them. (Look at the adaptall-2 site.)**
-----
** dme posted on the reviews of the 140F TC and says it works with the lens you are considering. He discusses many of the lens+140F combo's.

Last edited by dms; 07-11-2020 at 03:06 PM.
07-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote

Thanks so much.
I have the Adaptall 60-300mm and a 01F teleconverter. The converter is also great on the Adaptall 90mm macro, in case you are thinking of that in future, and on the 500mm mirror lens, and it is the best converter I have used.

To be honest, I rarely use the 01F on the 60-300mm zoom. The lens is razor-sharp at 300mm, especially if you can stop down to f8 or f11.

With modern high-resolution sensors (above about 13MP), I would rather use the lens at 300mm and then crop the image. That way you do not introduce extra layers of glass and extra weight+length, you do not need to increase ISO to be able to handhold, you can keep in the mid-apertures, and you are less subject to motion effects.
07-11-2020, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since you confirmed you're going to the Tetons and Yellowstone, I'll share my experiences there last fall. I took a K50 and K70 (1.5x crop cameras). The only times I used the DA 300mm w/teleconverter (630mm FF/35mm field of view) were in Yellowstone's Lamar Valley trying to photograph some wolves, bighorn sheep, and bison, and along Hwy 89 in Grand Teton shooting some pronghorn antelope. It was not near long enough. I did run into a professional wildlife photographer in Lamar Valley who said she had been out there for 6 consecutive days and was using a Canon FF with a 600mm lens that had 2 stacked teleconverters attached, and said she wished she had a longer lens. I occasionally used the 55-300mm, and I don't think I ever pulled the 16-45 out of the bag. About 90% of shots I took were with the D FA 28-105mm with most of them in the 40-80mm range. I didn't concern myself too much about not getting the wildlife shots I envisioned because everything else is such an amazing and beautiful site. Enjoy yourself.
07-12-2020, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #37
Forum Member

Rent a very high-quality lens. You will have a wonderful bunch of pictures. Any halfway new body will be very good, It is the lens that is most important. Always buy the best lens you can buy. You are going to have it a long time. You also are going to need money for gas, food, and ..... you can rent a great lens cheep and get clean shots that you will have forever.