Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2020, 03:38 AM - 7 Likes   #1

A comparison between DFA 85, FA 85 and A 85

Hi all,

Just find a post from Taiwan compared captioned 85 focal lengths legend, of course it is not hard to guess the result.

HD Pentax DFA?85mm f/1.4 ED SDM AW ????-PFC-Pentax Fans Club -

07-14-2020, 04:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice comparison, with encouraging results for the new kid on the block.

Next week I hope....
07-14-2020, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A nicely done comparison, and a lot more photo examples than I'd seen elsewhere. The differences are fairly subtle in some of them IMO but they are there. In my own personal view and based solely on the link I'd put the A* second to the DFA, with the FA in third, but honestly they're all so close and in different venues A* and FA* might trade spots. That DFA is picking up some detail, especially in the shadows, that I don't know the other two can quite match.

So my big question I'm left pondering:

Where the heck did they find new A* and FA*85's, new boxes and all.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-14-2020 at 08:23 AM.
07-14-2020, 07:11 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
In my own personal view and based solely on the link I'd put the A* second to the DFA and the FA in third, but honestly they're all so close and in different venues A*and FA* might trade spots. That DFA is picking up some detail, especially in the shadows, that I don't know the other two can quite match.
My thoughts have been that the historic lenses may be the stiffest competition to the new kid in regards to existing Pentax shooters.

Steve

(...not even close to my league price-wise, but fun to dream...)

07-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kinkindoll Quote
Hi all,

Just find a post from Taiwan compared captioned 85 focal lengths legend, of course it is not hard to guess the result.

HD Pentax DFA?85mm f/1.4 ED SDM AW ????-PFC-Pentax Fans Club -
Excellent comparison.

I like the street artist photos and the wonderfully soft background bokeh.
07-14-2020, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Where the heck did they find new A* and FA*85's, new boxes and all.
Well it's not mine... my Sweetheart Pentax-A*85mm F1.4 is still here in the Harem and her outer wrappings are in still the wardrobe.
07-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Casting aside any preferences, favouritism or biasedness (i.e. Sweetheart).

The imagery from all three lens offerings... looks pretty damned good to me, folk should happy enough to own any of them IMHO.

07-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
The imagery from all three lens offerings... looks pretty damned good to me, folk should happy enough to own any of them IMHO.
Agreed, though saying so does not help sales of the new lens nor the prices of the older versions to come down.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-14-2020 at 09:39 AM.
07-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Agreed, though saying so does not help sales of the new lens nor the prices of the older versions to come down.

Steve
My apologies and there was I thinking it was all about the final image.
07-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Given the price of the DFA, the FA which I've been stalling on for ages looks really good. Same as my DA*55 vs DFA 50 comparison. The difference when you care are there, but for an amateur, less than compelling. If I was shooting in studio, the 85 was an every day lens, the differences would be enough to push me to the DFA. But I don't get paid, and I can't see the extra IQ meaning much to me.

What an excellent post. With great images.
07-14-2020, 09:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

must... resist... don't... shoot... enough... portraits...
07-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
must... resist... don't... shoot... enough... portraits...
My wife uses her Tamron 90 as a walk around lens, I've started using my 100 macro as a walk around lens.). The images posted (and my wife's behaviour) would suggest this is much more than a portrait lens. We love the macros for their sharpness, and portability. This lens has the sharpness and smoother bokeh, and silent AF but it loses for portability and cost, for a total +1.

I don't think it will be widely adopted, but those who do buy it will love it. For younger guys than me, it could easily still be paying for itself 20 years from now.
07-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't think it will be widely adopted, but those who do buy it will love it. For younger guys than me, it could easily still be paying for itself 20 years from now.
Yep!

Steve
07-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
My apologies and there was I thinking it was all about the final image.
I just added a smiley...

Steve

(...would love to have any of the three...)
07-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My wife uses her Tamron 90 as a walk around lens, I've started using my 100 macro as a walk around lens.). The images posted (and my wife's behaviour) would suggest this is much more than a portrait lens. We love the macros for their sharpness, and portability. This lens has the sharpness and smoother bokeh, and silent AF but it loses for portability and cost, for a total +1.

You're not helping Norm! I'm trying to resist a 2k purchase that my wife will not appreciate lol.

I got my Tamron 90 macro, and Tamron 70-200 that doesn't see much use because I don't shoot a lot of portraits and it's too heavy to carry on hikes.

Getting a third "portrait" lens, especially of that grade, seems like a unwise (but very tempting) proposition.