Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2007, 03:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can buy FA 100/2.8 macro from SH photo in germany.

SH Photo Pentax Lenses and Accessories

they have 3 of them for 349 Euro.

P.S> I'm not marketing this site, in fact few weeks ago they offer FA* 28-70/2.8 for 500 Euro and I ordered it . Before they send it to me they discovered that it is broken . They return money.

Personally I'm more then happy owner of this lens.

Best of Macro Photo Gallery by Piotr Sobolewski at pbase.com
Flowers Photo Gallery by Piotr Sobolewski at pbase.com

03-07-2007, 04:00 AM   #17

I bought the 100mm A Dental Macro from someone over at the UK forums, and it's a pleasure to use.

Macro seems to work best with manual focus anyway, it's very critical to get the focus just exactly at the spot you want it to be - which may or may not be where a sensor spot is.
03-07-2007, 07:36 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depending on what you already have, there are other options available.

As a carry over from film, I have an SMC-M 100mm F4 which has a 1:2 macro ratio without extension tubes and can go 1:1 with extension tubes. What I do is use it with a 1.7x autofocus adaptor.

Combined with the format of the ASP-C sensor it is just as good as the new lenses, but has one advantage, specifically the distance from subject. This is especially true with the 1.7x adaptor and is good if your subjects don't stay put when you get close.

While the comments regarding auto focus and focus limiters are interesting, this combination is the best of both, you have limited autofocus to get accurate focus within the range of the adaptor and lens, and it is not trying to focus over the entire focusing distance of the lens. You get close manually and let the camera do the rest.

I also have a set of close up lenses for my 28-105 which I can carry if I don't want to pack a lot of other stuff or if I get caught without my macro lens, but the zoom isn't as sharp for macro as a true macro lens.