Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2020, 07:32 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax lens names in Flickr

Some photo uploads to Flickr, for example with my Fujifilm cameras, seem to show the full name of the lens used. Uploads from my Pentax cameras (K3 & K200D) do not, just showing the aperture, focal length etc. It can be a bit annoying when I'm trying to work out which lens was used,

Is the lens name hidden away somewhere in a non-standard-format field of the exif or is it not recorded at all?

I've seen some uploads from Pentax cameras that do show the lens name, but perhaps they're being added manually by the photographer before uploading.

Many thanks

07-16-2020, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for me, a majority of my lenses are not coded into the EXIF data, so I usually leave a tag for the lens info....
07-16-2020, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Name That Lens
07-16-2020, 07:53 AM - 2 Likes   #4

The lens information is in the EXIF data, just not in the right place for Flickr. I use ExifToolGui to copy it from the custom "LensType" into "LensModel" and that takes care of it.

07-16-2020, 08:05 AM - 5 Likes   #5

I was procrastinating so I made this guide if you want to do it using ExifToolGui. See attached pics below.

1. Open ExifToolGui and select the file you need to edit.
2. Click the "custom" button in the upper right.
3. You'll see multiple identical fields with the lens name under "LensType". Right click on one and then hit "Copy Value to Clipboard".
4. Click on the "workspace" button in the upper right.
5. Select "LensModel" field and then click into the bottom box. Paste the lens data in replacing the dash that is there.
6. Hit "Save" in the lower right. You will get an error message about duplicate fields: it doesn't matter.
7. Upload to Flickr. You should now see your lens listed.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

07-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I shoot raw, process in Lightroom and upload to Flickr directly from LR. My posts on Flickr all list the complete names of the lens.

Example:

07-16-2020, 12:29 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Some photo uploads to Flickr, for example with my Fujifilm cameras, seem to show the full name of the lens used. Uploads from my Pentax cameras (K3 & K200D) do not, just showing the aperture, focal length etc. It can be a bit annoying when I'm trying to work out which lens was used
If you use software to process the picture which is not up to date and does not have the latest lens ID then you will see this. I recently bought the D-FA* 85mm 1.4, The version of Silkypix DS Pro that I use ( 7) is no longer supported. So I simply add the lens name to the first "developed" photo and it gets added to the exif.

07-16-2020, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some photo uploads to Flickr, for example with my Fujifilm cameras, seem to show the full name of the lens used. Uploads from my Pentax cameras (K3 & K200D) do not, just showing the aperture, focal length etc. It can be a bit annoying when I'm trying to work out which lens was used,

Is the lens name hidden away somewhere in a non-standard-format field of the exif or is it not recorded at all?

I've seen some uploads from Pentax cameras that do show the lens name, but perhaps they're being added manually by the photographer before uploading.

Many thanks
What software are you using to process your photos? If you are using an older version make sure you do any updated as new lenses have to be added. I use Lightroom and have no problem, but if I directly upload a jpg from the KP, the lens does not show up. So I just did an unscientific experiment right now with a photo captured using RAW+jpg. I took a photo that I uploaded this afternoon to Flickr, that did not run through Lightroom, I had only viewed it though Digital Camera Utility 5. So I went back in to DCU5, saved the jpg photo to another folder, imported to Lightroom, and exported with no changes, and uploaded to Flickr, and it shows the lens. So it looks as though Lightroom is possibly "standardizing" the EXIF, much like selfnoise is doing, although automated. Just to note, the LR jpg was smaller than the Pentax jpg, so it is recompressing the file.
07-17-2020, 02:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I shoot RAW plus jpeg but these days I very rarely PP outside of the camera and everything gets wifi-ed to my phone and uploaded from there. It's much, much faster than going through a computer.

I don't suppose updating my K3 to the latest firmware would resolve this? I don't have it up-to-date as recent updates have been only to aid compatibility with new, expensive * lenses that I'll never use.
07-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In win 10, If you right click a jpeg file, and select properties / details it displays the exif data this can be edited directly in windows without the need for other software. what's more if you select a batch of photos and right click then select properties / details, the exif data that is common to all files selected is displayed and can be edited, and is applied across the whole group, this is great for adding name & copywrite info. or any other info common to the selected group.
07-17-2020, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many thanks
This used to drive me crazy too but using ExifTool and ExifGui allow you to write the info to the area Flickr reads for the lens info

Maker Note usually contains your lens name data in the LensType Field, Flickr doesn't have access to Maker Note data. You can use ExifTool in conjunction with ExifTool Gui to write the Maker Note lens name to the Exif LensModel field and Flickr will use that to identify your lens. No hoops to jump through just download a current copy of ExifTool and a copy of ExifTool Gui, make sure you follow the installation instructions for installing both programs.

View through a Galaxie Mirror
by Larry Mc, on Flickr This is a recent shot with my DA*11-18 I think the lens info shown what you are referring to. Click on the image to open the image in Flickr.
07-17-2020, 07:57 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
I was procrastinating so I made this guide if you want to do it using ExifToolGui. See attached pics below.

1. Open ExifToolGui and select the file you need to edit.
2. Click the "custom" button in the upper right.
3. You'll see multiple identical fields with the lens name under "LensType". Right click on one and then hit "Copy Value to Clipboard".
4. Click on the "workspace" button in the upper right.
5. Select "LensModel" field and then click into the bottom box. Paste the lens data in replacing the dash that is there.
6. Hit "Save" in the lower right. You will get an error message about duplicate fields: it doesn't matter.
7. Upload to Flickr. You should now see your lens listed.

Hope this helps!
You don't need to do all the cutting and pasting to add lens data to the Exif data. Just use the modify menu to add the Lens data. Simple process of highlighting each image by the standard windows technique of holding down the shift key and clicking on the image(s) you want to write to and click on modify then Exif: LensInfo from Makernotes... its done.
07-18-2020, 07:03 PM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
You don't need to do all the cutting and pasting to add lens data to the Exif data. Just use the modify menu to add the Lens data. Simple process of highlighting each image by the standard windows technique of holding down the shift key and clicking on the image(s) you want to write to and click on modify then Exif: LensInfo from Makernotes... its done.
Thanks for this Larry. It works a treat where the Maker notes have the lens name. Do you know if there is a way to edit the lens name in the Maker notes? (My Sigma 400mm f5.6 tele macro is just recorded as "Sigma".)
07-19-2020, 05:49 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Wow, thanks! And to think I've been going to all that trouble.
07-20-2020, 08:28 AM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
In win 10, If you right click a jpeg file, and select properties / details it displays the exif data this can be edited directly in windows without the need for other software. what's more if you select a batch of photos and right click then select properties / details, the exif data that is common to all files selected is displayed and can be edited, and is applied across the whole group, this is great for adding name & copywrite info. or any other info common to the selected group.
Cheers, thanks for the tip!