Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Yeap, it is pretty damn sweet lens, but I don't shoot macro as much as I thought I would, and it overlaps my DA*50-135mm so at this point its expendable.
Yeah, given you have the DA* zoom and the DA35 Limited I can see it might be redundant. I only like carrying one heavier lens plus one or two light ones (eg. Limiteds).

There are so many good lenses; not everyone needs all of them.

11-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #17
Forum Member

Having spent years trying to capture insects - or bugs which many wish to call them - given the choice, it would have to be one around 100 mm. I have a Sigma 105 and also the Vivitar 105 that rparmar refers to and they are both excellent. With the 1.5 cropping, they are the equivalent of around 160 mm in 35 mm terms and get you a reasonable distance away from insects that are likely to be spooked! However, the addition of a 1.5 convertor sometimes helps! But it all depends on what you want to photograph!

John
11-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.5 macro

It rocks. Even when not used for macro.

Indeed it does, taken this afternoon.
Didnt have time to get out my Sigma 135-400mm DG APO so had to use what was on the body at the time, Vivitar 100mm f2.8 (Kiron) macro. Apparently this lens is the 105mm f2.5 before its facelift to a series 1.

11-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #19
Site Supporter

You may want to consider longer macros? Used Sigma 180 or something. Not only are the longer macros better for critters, they are better (or at least easier) to apply flash with the extra working distance. I got lucky and bought an FA*200 Macro new for a fraction of the current going rate. Can't imagine trying to use my 100 Macro for these type of subjects.

Attached Images

11-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Can't imagine trying to use my 100 Macro for these type of subjects.
Cant see a problem using a 100mm macro myself.

11-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

me too

Pentax K20D ,Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 SL Macro APO-Lanthar
1/80s f/6.3 at 120.0mm iso200

11-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Wow, some great shots there!
11-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #23
Site Supporter

You are far better with flash at close distance than I am. Longer macro lets flash-dolts like me have a chance.

11-06-2008, 07:24 AM   #24
ViS
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow some fantastic shots there!

So F2.8 seems to be the best lens for macro?

Would an F1.4 or F1.7 do a better or worse job than an F2.8 with insects (as a general rule)?

Thanks for the help so far. I'm slowly taking it all in . Lots of info to take in for a DSLR newbie
11-06-2008, 07:49 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ViS Quote
Wow some fantastic shots there!

So F2.8 seems to be the best lens for macro?

Would an F1.4 or F1.7 do a better or worse job than an F2.8 with insects (as a general rule)?

Thanks for the help so far. I'm slowly taking it all in . Lots of info to take in for a DSLR newbie
There are a lot of different technical issues with considering a macro.

first of all, maximum apature,

for true "macro" work you never shoot at maximum apature due to the very limited DOF, therefore F2.8 may not be an advantage for image, BUT F2.8 makes a brighter image which helps focusing, expecially since light falls off when you increase magnification. Also, atristically some people might want very narrow DOF, therefore F2.8 can help in that area, at the trade off of weight and cost.

Focal length.

As noted previously, focal length impacts working distance, outside, longer is perhaps better, inside shorter might be better for copy purposes

Minimum apature and shooting apature

many macro lenses go down to F32, to allow the maximum DOF, BUT note that the absolute sharpest shots might be at F11-F16, because the issue of defraction around the edges of the apature rapidly begins to dominate the image at smaller apatures. Again here a longer lens has an advantage, because ant F stop is a bigger hole on a longer lens (remember apature = focal length / opening)
11-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #26
Site Supporter

For a macro lens, you wouldn't go wrong with a Tamron Adaptall 2 SP 90mm macro F2.5 especially if you could find the paired adaptor that takes it to 1:1. With the adaptor it is a 180mm lens, good for bugs I would guess. I haven't tried the combo yet, but the 90mm lens iteslf is great for people pics, and gets down to 1:2. Either KEH or Adorama has one used for about $110, that is lthe lens alone.

Reversal rigns, extension tubes and bellows are all ways of making your current lenses into macro ones, and usually even cheaper. But that is a while different discussion.
11-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have an SMC-M 100F4. It is a nice little lens, except that to go 1:1 needs extension tubes (no big deal). I would truely love to have a 200mm Macro, but not at the cost.

for me, it is all about working distance, the longer the better in that respect.

Keep in mind however, that is for field applications. for inside work, especially on a copy stand, longer is not always better.
I can second Lowell's vote for the M 100/4 Macro. But, if you are not prepared to use manual exposure, forget the M. Autofocus is not a necessity for macro work - it won't work when you get too close anyway. Snap-in-focus is very nice, and comes with every M lens at no extra charge.

If I had the funds, however, I would get the FA 100/2.8 macro. I would not be real keen on the D-FA because there is no focus range limiter. When the D-FA autofocuses, it goes all the way to both ends, and that is a very far distance on a macro lens. The FA has a focus limiter. If I win the lottery, I'll buy that 200.
11-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I have to agree with Lowell and Albert about the quality of Pentax M 100 f4.0 macro.

Before I went Pentax digital, I had a Canon 35mm system, and the macro I used for many years was the Canon FD 100mm f4.0 macro. What a good lens that was.

The Pentax M 100 Macro reminds me very much of the Canon in feel (love that damped manual lens feel ) and performance.

I use my Macros mainly to copy old photos, of which I have many, as my father was a shutterbug since he went into the service in World War II.

Here are two examples I copied today:

My Mom & Dad shortly before my Dad shipped out to England in 1943.

My Dad standing in front of a B-17 bomber. Not sure of the year.

The first photo was an 8x10, while the second was a tiny 2.25" square photo. (6x6 cm.) I could have gotten closer on the second photo, but I wanted to get as much of the original in the frame, even if it meant showing the edges.

Both exposures were f11, camera on a tripod.

I like this lens.

Mike