Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2020, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #31
Forum Member

ephotozine ... I guess you mean the online magazine, where no lens is rated with less than four, most with four and a half of five stars?

Last edited by Austro-Diesel; 07-19-2020 at 12:24 AM.
07-19-2020, 12:38 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Austro-Diesel Quote
ephotozine ... I guess you mean the online magazine, where no lens is rated with less than four, most with four and a half of five stars?
I think you have completely missed the point.
07-19-2020, 03:25 PM - 2 Likes   #33

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks all for the input. I ended up finding a Tamron 17-50 for a great price. If it ends up being a dodgy copy, I think I will sell it on and stretch for a Pentax 21mm.
07-19-2020, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And now everyone hits me!
That's because you always miss out three very important words

In.....My......Opinion

07-24-2020, 07:20 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kman42 Quote
Thanks all for the input. I ended up finding a Tamron 17-50 for a great price. If it ends up being a dodgy copy, I think I will sell it on and stretch for a Pentax 21mm.
I hope you get a good copy. Did you get it already? I almost bought one recently but ended up going for a DA*16-50mm f/2.8 as I was offered one for a great price. It's been converted to screw drive and the AF still hunts more than I would desire, but I can't fault it's image quality when stopped down, and also close to wide open as long as I don't use 16mm.

But I'd also like to get a DA 21mm again... I think there's times when you want to go out with a zoom, and times when you just want to put on a small prime... there's room for both in my cupboard...

I pay attention to your comments as you have experience with printing, which is to me what matters in terms of photography. But regarding this last comment, I think it was a bit unfortunately to basically scoff when presented with data... Sure, ephotozine had a period when they made some mistakes in their testing, but then what about photozone/opticallimits? How about the fact that the PC Mag review of the DA 21 says it's sharp edge to edge from f/5.6? (It does say it's soft wide open, meaning the borders are pretty soft).

It's ok to say you don't like the lens (and I didn't get along with it the first time I had it), but I think the data shows it's a sharp lens.
07-26-2020, 03:35 AM   #36
Unregistered User

Irix 15mm "firefly" - same optics as more expensive "blackstone" but with a plastic body that is not as weather-resistant as the metal bodied "blackstone". Manual focus only, but since almost everything is in focus at that focal length anyway, it won't matter. It's a great lens, especially for the price. Look at the "lens finder tool" under "resources" on this website's "home" page and compare it with any other lens.

To me, that's cheap (a relative term, of course), it's not just decent, it's a great rectilinear lens; and if that's not wide enough for you, there's the 11mm version.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 07-27-2020 at 08:00 AM.
07-27-2020, 04:17 AM   #37

"Cheap, Decent Wide Angle Lens"
+++++

Now we all want one of those but - there are 2 difficult variables here
1. "Cheap"
2. "Decent"

So lets start with "decent" - to me that means no visible "unpleasant" chromatic aberration or uncorrectable barrel distortion on an HD monitor or 10x8 print - and sufficient resolution for those images as well. So that covers near every prime 28mm made at F8; most at F5.6 and some at F2.8. For zooms, there are always compromises and a read of all the reviews here suggests that most zooms have a "good" and a "bad" end of the range.

Then how about "cheap" - for indeed even in 2020 there are fabulous wideangle lenses with native PK mounts to be had for the price of a pizza dinner for 2: so while 15 / $20 may not get you an SMC pentax, it can often get you a great quality "no name" lens that, with a bit of help from the pages here in Pentax Forums, turns out to be the same as a costly "branded" lens that is praised in the forum.

For wideangles, I don't see AF as of any help. Furthermore, because of the wide field of view, even the best programmed auto-exposure can fail - needing adjustements to compenstae for highlights or dark backgrounds or modifying flash output - so that means prime lenses carry a lesser penalty for rapid shooting compared with telephotos or standards.

For a "cheap" wideangle, I rate highly the Tokina 28mm F2.8 and the Cosina 24mm F2.8 - but so do many; now the detective skill is to realise that these same lenses were sold under different brand names, often with a "brand name" specific to a dealership in just one country.......so now turn to the Pentax forums review pages and happy hunting !

Best wishes to you all - Paul C
07-27-2020, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulC Quote
"Cheap, Decent Wide Angle Lens"
+++++

Now we all want one of those but - there are 2 difficult variables here
1. "Cheap"
2. "Decent"

So lets start with "decent" - to me that means no visible "unpleasant" chromatic aberration or uncorrectable barrel distortion on an HD monitor or 10x8 print - and sufficient resolution for those images as well. So that covers near every prime 28mm made at F8; most at F5.6 and some at F2.8. For zooms, there are always compromises and a read of all the reviews here suggests that most zooms have a "good" and a "bad" end of the range.

Then how about "cheap" - for indeed even in 2020 there are fabulous wideangle lenses with native PK mounts to be had for the price of a pizza dinner for 2: so while 15 / $20 may not get you an SMC pentax, it can often get you a great quality "no name" lens that, with a bit of help from the pages here in Pentax Forums, turns out to be the same as a costly "branded" lens that is praised in the forum.

For wideangles, I don't see AF as of any help. Furthermore, because of the wide field of view, even the best programmed auto-exposure can fail - needing adjustements to compenstae for highlights or dark backgrounds or modifying flash output - so that means prime lenses carry a lesser penalty for rapid shooting compared with telephotos or standards.

For a "cheap" wideangle, I rate highly the Tokina 28mm F2.8 and the Cosina 24mm F2.8 - but so do many; now the detective skill is to realise that these same lenses were sold under different brand names, often with a "brand name" specific to a dealership in just one country.......so now turn to the Pentax forums review pages and happy hunting !

Best wishes to you all - Paul C
YES YESSSS YESSSS exactly what I was saying before the classic lens police chipped in! the cosina is also sold as a Miranda and the RMC Tokina is all metal and lovely. Add to that the tapering (very important) chinon 28mm f2.8