Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Why do I stay with Pentax?

Because it p!sses you lot off.

Seriously though, yesterday I had to shoot the head and shoulders portrait for a new photographer at the studio.
She actually asked me to use one of the Nikons because my Pentax lenses are too good.
I happened to have the A50/1.2 on the K20, so I smiled and told her this isn't one of my best lenses (true enough).
I set the lights up, a very simple set-up where I blasted the white muslin with a 600watt monolight, and used a single head behind me and to my left, and a reflector hung beside the background light for fill.
No tricks here, just very straighforward lighting.
The studio owner walked by as we were shooting and chuckled a little at my lighting, but carried on.
When we opened the files in Lightroom his jaw literally dropped. He told me that if he had used that lighting set-up with his Nikkor lenses, the images would have been ruined by veiling flare.
I've shot Pentax for so long now, I've forgotten what veiling flare is.

That's all.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 11-04-2008 at 08:15 AM.
11-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Banned

this made me smile from ear to ear.
11-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for that. Now I gotta clean coffee off my monitor....
11-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, it isn't like we all just accidentally ended up shooting with Pentax equipment. Though more Camry autos and Ford Trucks are sold than any other, that doesn't mean Lamborghini or Porche are not worth choosing. Similar metaphor with Pentax. So what if more "me too's" choose the same old canon and nikon stuff? So what if Ford, canon and nikon have more accessory choices than Porche or Pentax? So what if they offer more models to choose from? If Pentax or Porche offers the model you want to run with, then all those other choices really don't matter do they?
Like you Wheatfield, I really like the way my Pentax stuff works and I like the images that result. Some people jump brands all the time and not just with photo equipment...some don't.
I kindof like it when I'm standing with 50 photographers shooting at a moose in Denali and I'm the only one shooting Pentax...or standing with 100 in Yellowstone shooting an elk and I'm the only one with a big silver lens. Great conversation starter...We could have chosen to spend 5x the money for Leica equipment and had even less accessory and model choices and been a part of an even smaller market niche.
If everyone is wearing Nike shoes, I'm likely to wear hiking boots. Remember when Calvin Klein jeans were such a big deal (dating myself here)? Bet Wheatfield didn't wear them either!
Enjoy your Pentax gear Wheatfield!

11-04-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
Forum Member

Ha, that's a good one!
Go Pentax!
11-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

"veiling flare"...I had to look that up in the Photographer's Dictionary
11-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got an email warning me that Wheatfield isn't really a Pentax fan. Yeah, yeah, I've seen all the posts, but reading between the lines, it's the results that still keep Wheatfield and plenty of others playing the Pentax game.
Sure, he looks at other bodies, but keeps the Pentax. I look at other women's bodies but have no plans of trading in my wife for a newer model. So no I won't get a Klondike Bar (U.S. advert)...

11-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Me? Not a Pentax fan?

Really?

I suppose it's unlikely that I'd own this much Pentax gear if I didn't have a fairly strong brand preference....

Perhaps because I am also a fairly acerbic individual who doesn't suffer the fools who are fanboys.....

And Calvin Kleins always made my ass look too big.
11-04-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I spy the mythical FA200 macro! But where's the lens hood for it?

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Me? Not a Pentax fan?

Really?

I suppose it's unlikely that I'd own this much Pentax gear if I didn't have a fairly strong brand preference....

Perhaps because I am also a fairly acerbic individual who doesn't suffer the fools who are fanboys.....

And Calvin Kleins always made my ass look too big.
11-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
I spy the mythical FA200 macro! But where's the lens hood for it?
Off to the left, along with a pile of lens caps.
That was an interesting acquisition. The lens came recommended to me by a couple of fellows, so I set about to find one. Pentax Canada told me it was discontinued, but somehow the rep found one in someones kit (I believe in the USA). Anyway, PCI imported it, refurbished it for me and sold it to me for ~1/3 of new price.
So I took the money I "saved" and put it towards the near mythical A600/5.6.
That was a very good month to be me.
11-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If wheatfield ever decides to dump Pentax, us vultures are going to have a field day :-)
11-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I've only ever seen the 600mm in the Pentax Gallery in Tokyo; that thing was massive and let me check out peeps across the street who never had the faintest clue they were being watched...

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
So I took the money I "saved" and put it towards the near mythical A600/5.6.
11-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Yeah, it isn't like we all just accidentally ended up shooting with Pentax equipment. Though more Camry autos and Ford Trucks are sold than any other, that doesn't mean Lamborghini or Porche are not worth choosing. Similar metaphor with Pentax. So what if more "me too's" choose the same old canon and nikon stuff? So what if Ford, canon and nikon have more accessory choices than Porche or Pentax? So what if they offer more models to choose from? If Pentax or Porche offers the model you want to run with, then all those other choices really don't matter do they?
Like you Wheatfield, I really like the way my Pentax stuff works and I like the images that result. Some people jump brands all the time and not just with photo equipment...some don't.
I kindof like it when I'm standing with 50 photographers shooting at a moose in Denali and I'm the only one shooting Pentax...or standing with 100 in Yellowstone shooting an elk and I'm the only one with a big silver lens. Great conversation starter...We could have chosen to spend 5x the money for Leica equipment and had even less accessory and model choices and been a part of an even smaller market niche.
If everyone is wearing Nike shoes, I'm likely to wear hiking boots. Remember when Calvin Klein jeans were such a big deal (dating myself here)? Bet Wheatfield didn't wear them either!
Enjoy your Pentax gear Wheatfield!
you need a better metaphore.

while it is true that if you look at the ratios od fords and camry's sold, against Lamborghini or Porche might truely represent the ratio of sales of Nikon and Canon vs Pentax, somehow, the price ratio is backwards, the equivelent performance pentax lens and body is usually less than canon or nikon, not 10 times more (considering the price of the Lamborghini or Porche )

Although I's sure someone will comment about speed and performance and say that pentax does not have the comparitive performance of Lamborghini or Porche compared to ford and camry.
11-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
If wheatfield ever decides to dump Pentax, us vultures are going to have a field day :-)
The line forms to the left, behind me. I've already staked first dibs on Wheatfield's Pentax gear.
11-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #15

Hehe, that's really nice to hear!

Hmm, there was one more thing.. hmm.. yeah, right, when are you going to send over some of that gear to me? : )

Cheers