Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-08-2020, 10:10 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which lens for motion

Taking a motorcycle trip and my passenger will be taking photos along the way. Obviously changing lens isn’t an option while moving. So outside of burst mode and luck what lens would be recommended on either a K5iis Or possibly K3II.

JJ

08-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are asking which lenses render more pleasing motion blur, my experience has been that they are all about the same. If you want to know what I would prefer to shoot with from the back of a motorcycle on a road trip, the answer would probably be a Ricoh GR III or either dSLR choice mated to a DA 21/3.2 Limited (AF turned off, Av mode, lens set to hyperfocal).

A budget option might be something like the Ricoh WG-70.

Steve
08-08-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If you are asking which lenses render more pleasing motion blur, my experience has been that they are all about the same. If you want to know what I would prefer to shoot with from the back of a motorcycle on a road trip, the answer would probably be a Ricoh GR III or either dSLR choice mated to a DA 21/3.2 Limited (AF turned off, Av mode, lens set to hyperfocal).

A budget option might be something like the Ricoh WG-70.

Steve
Yes I was asking about equipment and now have another reason to pick up the DA21 thank you so much...

JJ
08-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For a DSLR, the DA 18-135 is my choice for road trips, lightweight , compact durable, versatile. It offers enough options between wide landscapes or zoomed in on an interesting roadside attraction. Otherwise, the DA 21 is a great prime for many scenes and subjects

The best motion blur comes from panning, with a shutter speed under 500, no matter what lens you choose.

08-08-2020, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
For a DSLR, the DA 18-135 is my choice for road trips, lightweight , compact durable, versatile. It offers enough options between wide landscapes or zoomed in on an interesting roadside attraction. Otherwise, the DA 21 is a great prime for many scenes and subjects

The best motion blur comes from panning, with a shutter speed under 500, no matter what lens you choose.
To late just ordered the 21 lol, but seriously I have enough time to maybe pick up the 18-135 so many choices so little time....

JJ
08-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took a train trip on the California Zephyr last year and used the DA 18-135 nearly the whole time.

I tried once to take pictures from a moving car with the DA*55. The SDM was too slow to focus.
08-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I took a train trip on the California Zephyr last year and used the DA 18-135 nearly the whole time.

I tried once to take pictures from a moving car with the DA*55. The SDM was too slow to focus.
We have planned stops at a lot of the important photo spots, I’m just trying to make sure we can still capture the surprise shots as we ride...

JJ

08-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I’m just trying to make sure we can still capture the surprise shots as we ride...
The great thing about the DA 21, and the K-5, is you'll have a wide enough FOV to take a lot of the scene in, and enough image/pixel quality to crop out unnecessary elements. You can probably get by with ISO 400 and F8 in most situations .
08-08-2020, 01:57 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
The great thing about the DA 21, and the K-5, is you'll have a wide enough FOV to take a lot of the scene in, and enough image/pixel quality to crop out unnecessary elements. You can probably get by with ISO 400 and F8 in most situations .
I’ll keep that in mind thanks!

JJ
08-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Hate to put a damper on things, but riding a motorcycle with something hung around ones neck might be considered a little risky by some!
You may not intend to have an accident, but other road users may not be so considerate
A lightweight compact combination of lens/body and a wrist strap would be my preferred setup. Don't rely on the strap and/or the D-rings to support the camera full time. They can/will fray or unwind under the continued movement of the bike (been there, done that). Hang on to the camera, with the strap being there just for insurance.

Have a safe trip
08-08-2020, 05:34 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Hate to put a damper on things, but riding a motorcycle with something hung around ones neck might be considered a little risky by some!
You may not intend to have an accident, but other road users may not be so considerate
A lightweight compact combination of lens/body and a wrist strap would be my preferred setup. Don't rely on the strap and/or the D-rings to support the camera full time. They can/will fray or unwind under the continued movement of the bike (been there, done that). Hang on to the camera, with the strap being there just for insurance.

Have a safe trip
It would have a lanyard, but I know what your saying...

JJ