Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2020, 07:52 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Polarizing filters and the D FA* 85/1.4

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have been using Breakthrough Photography X4 filters of late as they seem to be quality matched to the new * prime lenses. I was doing some casual random stuff in my yard with the 82mm X4 circular polarizer mounted tonight and had quite a time getting it off when I was done. The X4 filter has a very thin mount, and due to the design of the 85mm lens, it is virtually impossible to grip the mounting ring.
I will be sacrificing an old filter for it's ring to allow me to use the X4 filter.

08-10-2020, 06:44 AM   #2
Unregistered User

I find that aluminum rings get bound up far more easily than brass; the aluminum is more difficult to machine to a smooth surface, especially in the threads. It has problems with galling and pitting. I always buy brass components nowadays. Also, I find that a very, very thin coat of vaseline on the threads is a big help. I use a toothpick to apply an amount that would be too small to measure in mililiters to the male threads on the filter and smear it around the threads, keeping only to the threads, all the way around, then screw it in and unscrew it a few times to distribute the grease evenly. Then I wipe out the threads on the lens to make sure there won't be any on the glass, relying on the thin coat still on the filter threads for lubrication. By the way, this increases the need for cleaning, as stuff will stick to the grease (dirt, cat hair, dust, etc.).
08-10-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah. Removing the glass out of an old or cheap (if possible in 82mm) is the way to go.
08-12-2020, 09:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Yeah. Removing the glass out of an old or cheap (if possible in 82mm) is the way to go.
I found an old Nikon 82mm UV filter in a box of stuff in the basement. There didn't appear to be an especially easy way to remove the retaining ring, there were no threads leading to it, so I wrapped it in a paper towel and whacked it with a tack hammer. The glass came out with little fuss.
I put the filter onto that ring, and it immediately jammed......
The Breakthrough ring is brass, but the Nikon one is aluminium. If it ever comes off, it's a small bonus. Right now I'm not too worried, unless the Nikon ring jams on the lens. I've never had this sort of problem before with filters. Normally they behave very nicely for me.

---------- Post added Aug 12th, 2020 at 10:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I find that aluminum rings get bound up far more easily than brass; the aluminum is more difficult to machine to a smooth surface, especially in the threads. It has problems with galling and pitting. I always buy brass components nowadays. Also, I find that a very, very thin coat of vaseline on the threads is a big help. I use a toothpick to apply an amount that would be too small to measure in mililiters to the male threads on the filter and smear it around the threads, keeping only to the threads, all the way around, then screw it in and unscrew it a few times to distribute the grease evenly. Then I wipe out the threads on the lens to make sure there won't be any on the glass, relying on the thin coat still on the filter threads for lubrication. By the way, this increases the need for cleaning, as stuff will stick to the grease (dirt, cat hair, dust, etc.).
Thanks for the tip. I will probably do this with the 85. It seems to like filters sticking on it a bit too much for my taste. The Breakthrough X4 filter rings are brass, but the ring is very shallow and get's lost in the lens.

08-13-2020, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You could look into the new Revoring by H&Y. It's a new product, I've had the chance to test an early prototype and it really works well on the 85mm (and the 60-250 )

REVORING: A Variable Step Ring for your Camera Lens Filters by H&Y ? Kickstarter
08-13-2020, 07:53 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
You could look into the new Revoring by H&Y. It's a new product, I've had the chance to test an early prototype and it really works well on the 85mm (and the 60-250 )

REVORING: A Variable Step Ring for your Camera Lens Filters by H&Y ? Kickstarter
I put a drop of Tri-Flow onto a cotton swab and went around the threads of the polarizer and sacrificial ring which solved the freezing to each other problem. The filter was very stiff and hard to turn so I ended up using a very small amount of Tri-Flow on the interface between the fixed ring and floating ring and letting that work itself into the filter. It's all good now.
That variable step up ring looks like a very expensive solution to a very inexpensive problem, and isn't what is required to solve the issue I was having. I am concerned with how parallel it will keep the filter to the lens. It looks like something that could be misaligned very easily.
The good quality brass Breakthrough Photography rings are relatively inexpensive and have no moving parts.
08-13-2020, 07:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Instead of vaseline, I use graphite - a 2B or 3B pencil lead run round the lens and external filter threads provides dry lubrication, and does not attract foreign matter.

08-13-2020, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Instead of vaseline, I use graphite - a 2B or 3B pencil lead run round the lens and external filter threads provides dry lubrication, and does not attract foreign matter.
That is what I like about Tri-Flow. The carrier is a very volatile light oil that evaporates quickly after coating the moving parts. After it evaporates, all that us left is PTFE (Teflon).
08-13-2020, 11:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That variable step up ring looks like a very expensive solution to a very inexpensive problem, and isn't what is required to solve the issue I was having.
The advantage is that while it holds securely, it's much easier to remove than other types of screw-on filters. I do understand what you mean however.

I am concerned with how parallel it will keep the filter to the lens. It looks like something that could be misaligned very easily.
I have not observed any such occurences when using the prototypes. It depends on the technique you use to mount it, I guess. A small tilt would not impact measurable the images, I think.

The good quality brass Breakthrough Photography rings are relatively inexpensive and have no moving parts.
I have no experience with them but they seem reputable. The Revoring's main advantage relates to the fact that you can use a single ring on several lenses with various diameters. It scales up quickly if you're in this situation.
08-15-2020, 05:26 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for posting this thread, I recently bought a Breakthrough X2 CPL and also found it somewhat stiff to rotate, plus hard to get off. Which of the various Tri-Flow lubricants do you use? I went to their website and promptly got confused.
08-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Thanks for posting this thread, I recently bought a Breakthrough X2 CPL and also found it somewhat stiff to rotate, plus hard to get off. Which of the various Tri-Flow lubricants do you use? I went to their website and promptly got confused.
This is the stuff. I originally bought it as it was a recommended product for lubricating the motors on my drone.
Use it very sparingly.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003L9K9HQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_RiaoFbFKN84YS
08-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the info - I just ordered some. I have a latch that I’ve been periodically using an aerosol lube with PTFE on (originally bought for yet another application), but a liquid would work better than the spray I think. I never knew there was one made.
08-18-2020, 01:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Are there any filter manufacturers other than KolariVision who use teflon-threads on their filters? Because, those filters are next level compared to anything else I have used before. No self unscrewing and absolutely zero sticking the other way.
08-19-2020, 06:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I will look for that Tri-Flow.

HIJACK!
I have a funny story. I'm not sure if it conveys by the typing fingers. My sister always gets not leading edge, or cutting edge, but sabre edge stuff, on everything.
I'm more of a value-added person.

She says to me I should get X filter (forget) to protect my lenses. I perscribe to the Tony Northrup theory: field yourself, with a lens hood the chance you scratch a lens is minimal, and microscopic, that it affects the pics. Even if you ruin a lens, you gained so much fielding yourself at the right space and right time, it is a win.

I say to her, it makes no sense for me to have this fantastic lens (to us, the FA77, she is a Nikonist) and then put a $10 piece of glass in front of it.

She looks at me blankly. I look back blankly.

I realized much much later that she was not putting a $10 lens filter on her $13,000 lens. LMAO!
08-22-2020, 09:25 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the stuff. I originally bought it as it was a recommended product for lubricating the motors on my drone.
Use it very sparingly.

Tri-Flow TF0021060 Superior Lubricant, 6-Ounce Drip Bottle: Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors
Thanks for the suggestion! I got some yesterday and tried it first on the latch, to get a feel for it (and because the latch was getting sticky again). My latch is much happier now.

This morning I very gingerly put some on the threads of the filter, then even more gingerly and sparingly put a bit on the edges of the rotating part. My filter is new and the action of the polarizer is very smooth but stiff. I didn’t think the tiny bit I used made much of a difference on the action of the polarizer when I was rotating it in my hand, but noticed a difference once I put the filter on the lens. It’s not a huge difference (don’t want it too easily rotated anyway), but enough that any thought of a replacement has been put on hold.