Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2020, 06:07 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 70-200

Hi, I've recently picked up a used Sigma 70-200APO DGhsm to use on my K3ii. I love this lens! A couple of questions, it has image stabilisation, should I use the lens or the camera for this? Has anyone used the 1.4 convertor with this lens, I seemed to be having problems catching focus with it on.

Thanks.

Last edited by tuggie76; 02-05-2021 at 11:10 AM.
08-09-2020, 06:28 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
. . . it has image stabilisation, should I use the lens or the camera for this? . . .

Thanks.
QuoteQuote:
Image Stabilization
Every lens on the list except the older Tamron and the Pentax offer image stabilization, with varying modes for panning and normal use. Pentax bodies all feature internal SR (Shake Reduction) so in-lens IS is not needed.

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Review - Vs. Other 70-200mm Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I believe you use the camera's image stabilization system

Sigma Lenses for Pentax: Legacy Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-09-2020 at 06:33 AM.
08-09-2020, 06:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I had the HSM OS II model and always used the in camera stabilization to save battery. But if doing panning with fast side to side motion, mode 1 on the lens and off in camera may work better. Some folks like a stabilized viewfinder but I found it to not help. Also a lot of zooms do not play well with TCs. There are a few exceptions but based on my attempts and the comments from others here, a TC is not a good idea unless you have time to frame carefully, and if needed use manual focus. What focus settings are you using? AFA or AFC? 9 point or spot? All of these have an effect also. More information might help the folks who have had success direct you to the best way to use your TC. I personally only try with primes like my DA*300.
Good luck.
08-09-2020, 07:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I had the HSM OS II model and always used the in camera stabilization to save battery. But if doing panning with fast side to side motion, mode 1 on the lens and off in camera may work better. Some folks like a stabilized viewfinder but I found it to not help. Also a lot of zooms do not play well with TCs. There are a few exceptions but based on my attempts and the comments from others here, a TC is not a good idea unless you have time to frame carefully, and if needed use manual focus. What focus settings are you using? AFA or AFC? 9 point or spot? All of these have an effect also. More information might help the folks who have had success direct you to the best way to use your TC. I personally only try with primes like my DA*300.
Good luck.
Thanks, as I was shooting aircraft I was using 9 point AF-C, then switched to SEL, SEL seemed to work marginally better but gave intermittent results. If it doesn't work it's not a problem, I just wondered if there was something I'm doing wrong.

08-09-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks, as I was shooting aircraft I was using 9 point AF-C, then switched to SEL, SEL seemed to work marginally better but gave intermittent results. If it doesn't work it's not a problem, I just wondered if there was something I'm doing wrong.
They say that spot rather than select creates a smaller focus point. Based on what I have attempted to learn here, a strong contrasting line under the desired selected point is optimal for auto focus to work properly via the OVF. On my long lenses that is pretty much all I use, but I need to set a mode with 9 points for birds in flight. Your image of the pilot is good, especially looking at all the hard lines crossing though the center of the image. It is like all the branches in front of a bird being the focus point.
08-09-2020, 07:38 AM   #6
Unregistered User

Well you have a choice, you can opt for the in camera stabilization or that of the Sigma. My experience is that the OS of the Sigma gave way better results than Pentax SR. Read carefully the manual on how and when to use the Sigma OS especially the setting of 1 and 2. The in body IS is not capable to offer the right stabilization, the lens OS does. Sometimes with Pentax SR you can get lucky, but the Sigma OS nearly always hits the mark. I used it on the K-3 II by the way.
According to Sigma you cannot use a converter other than a Sigma one. Using the Pentax may damage your Sigma 70-200.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 08-09-2020 at 08:27 AM. Reason: additonal information added
08-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, I've recently picked up a used Sigma 70-200APO DGhsm to use on my K3ii. I love this lens! A couple of questions, it has image stabilisation, should I use the lens or the camera for this? Has anyone used the 1.4 convertor with this lens, I seemed to be having problems catching focus with it on.

Thanks.

I have the Sigma HSM II without image stabilization with the latest firmware for KP and K1, and this lens does NOT work with the 1.4 converter

08-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
They say that spot rather than select creates a smaller focus point. Based on what I have attempted to learn here, a strong contrasting line under the desired selected point is optimal for auto focus to work properly via the OVF. On my long lenses that is pretty much all I use, but I need to set a mode with 9 points for birds in flight. Your image of the pilot is good, especially looking at all the hard lines crossing though the center of the image. It is like all the branches in front of a bird being the focus point.
Thanks GGG, that was more or less my thought process with the picture, combined with the low depth of field made it a lovely portraitte.
I've never been into bird photos but may take them up as there are no air shows at the moment.

---------- Post added 08-09-20 at 07:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Well you have a choice, you can opt for the in camera stabilization or that of the Sigma. My experience is that the OS of the Sigma gave way better results than Pentax SR. Read carefully the manual on how and when to use the Sigma OS especially the setting of 1 and 2. The in body IS is not capable to offer the right stabilization, the lens OS does. Sometimes with Pentax SR you can get lucky, but the Sigma OS nearly always hits the mark. I used it on the K-3 II by the way.
According to Sigma you cannot use a converter other than a Sigma one. Using the Pentax may damage your Sigma 70-200.
Ok, thanks for that! I'm pretty sure it didn't damage it, but thanks for the heads up! I'll have to do some reading up on the is.

---------- Post added 08-09-20 at 07:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
I have the Sigma HSM II without image stabilization with the latest firmware for KP and K1, and this lens does NOT work with the 1.4 converter
Thanks crooski, I won't try that again!

Last edited by tuggie76; 08-09-2020 at 04:34 PM.