Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2020, 10:11 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you reverse mount that 28mm lens on your 50mm lens, you'll have a sweet little 1.78:1 macro setup.

Coupling lenses for extreme macro

08-13-2020, 10:38 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
If you reverse mount that 28mm lens on your 50mm lens, you'll have a sweet little 1.78:1 macro setup.

Coupling lenses for extreme macro

Oh wow! Thank you for that tip, David! Please see attached. Several things to come to mind:
1. The 50mm on the camera has a 49mm filter dia and the Vivitar has a 52mm, so I couldn't actually connect them with a ring (don't have one yet). So I held them together with one hand.
2. I removed the broken iris on the Vivitar (tried to remove just the bent blade, but then everything went kaput, so I removed them all). So the "objective" lens is wide open (35mm F2.8). The Pentax was stepped up (down?) to 2.8.
3. Wow, one needs super steady hands to manually focus in this configuration.
4. What's with the very narrow in-focus area? The sweet spot's like a thin strip across the lens.
5. Quite a bit of vignetting.

Any tips on how to hold the camera steady? I'm quite ecstatic even with these initial results. Am buying an adapter ring right away!

Thanks again! I now have a use for that Vivitar.

Last edited by zeebanker; 09-12-2020 at 08:03 PM.
08-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zeebanker Quote
Any tips on how to hold the camera steady?
Practice practice practice, and a lot of luck. Or, a tripod, ha! Depends on what your chasing. Pennies tend to stay put, Bugs like to jump around.

Check out Thomas Shahan. He's a Pentax guy and shot reverse macro for a long time. Along with amazing photos, he gives good advice on patience.

Thomas Shahan - YouTube