Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2020, 04:56 AM   #1

Viewfinder Auto Focus Problem in K-70

My 2 week old K-70 has just started having intermittent auto focus problems using the viewfinder. Liveview works fine - the problem is only through the viewfinder. Conditions are such that it should be having no problems finding focus but it keeps searching back and forth without finding focus. I have it on AF.S and tried 11 point, 5 point and center with the same problem. I have taken about 600 shots without a problem, but it just started yesterday evening. It does this on both lenses I have tried - my older SMC 100 mm 2.8 Macro and my new DA 4.5-6.3 55-300 ED PLM WR RE.

The frustrating part is that it is intermittent. It usually works well when I first turn on the camera and then after a few successful focus attempts it starts searching again. I read a post about a similar problem with a K-70 from about 3 years ago and I tried cleaning the contacts.

Is this a known problem with the K-70? Does it sound like something in the electronics has gone bad or some kind of cleaning problem?

08-13-2020, 06:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This sounds a bit like you have trash on the autofocus module lens. This is common, my K-3 has this problem occasionally. if you have a Rocket Blower set your K-70 for mirror up with the lens removed and turn the lens mount opening face down then blow into the area of the mirror box where the autofocus module is located, its at the bottom of the mirror box. Try not to touch anything, give it several shots from the Rocket Blower. Then turn the camera off and let the mirror drop and while still holding the camera face down blow around the inside of the mirror box and hopefully what ever trash is in there will be dislodged.

Last edited by Larrymc; 08-13-2020 at 06:06 AM. Reason: clarity
08-13-2020, 08:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
Well now I have tried cleaning it and it is no longer intermittent - it does not work at all. So maybe I have moved the trash to a worse place? Live view still works but the view finder will not focus - just keeps searching.
08-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #4

Since something changed I would try repeating cleanings a couple more time.

08-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

will concur with the rocket blower.....have that occur with the k-3ii and K-1.......freaked me out the first couple of times but after rocket blowing back up and running......