Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2020, 04:55 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Both the plastic 35 and 50 work on full frame. If my only fast 50 was the DA 50 1.8 and I had an autofocusing camera to use it on, I would keep it. I don't love the plastic 35 nor do I love the 35mm focal length so that one is your call. But you've got some glass that works well on full frame.

If you like the FA 43 more than the 50 for optical quality, though, I would sell the 50 and just use the 43. The field of view is close enough to each other. It would be interesting to do a serious comparison of both of these lenses on a camera like the KP or the K-1. Optically the FA 43 never excited me that much from samples I've seen here. It's a decent lens but it's not, you know, something I'd brag about as an attraction to the Pentax system like I have the DA 15.

08-20-2020, 05:25 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I also have the HD DA 1:2.8 40 mm limited. This one was expensive, and still kinda is new, and even used.
I've used the DA40 in full frame crop mode for a good while on the K-1, until I got the 43. The corners are not the sharpest, but they are perfectly usable, and the colours, contrast and bokeh are just the same.

I would certainly keep it. The focal length is VERY comfortable on full frame.
08-20-2020, 06:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you. I've been really busy with work and also our travel season. I'm going to keep the pancake and put other stuff for sale individually. I'm still thinking on that to do with the plastic fantastics. Not worth much individually, but I can say for what they are they take great pics.
08-20-2020, 07:16 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you. I've been really busy with work and also our travel season. I'm going to keep the pancake and put other stuff for sale individually. I'm still thinking on that to do with the plastic fantastics. Not worth much individually, but I can say for what they are they take great pics.
I have the 35mm f/2.4. It's a fine lens but I almost never use it because the 40mm LTD is better and about the size of a body cap. I haven't sold it because it'll only go for $50 or so, and the hassle and shipping is probably worth that much.

08-20-2020, 07:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is my dilemma. A quick look at ebay says $250 for the HD DA 40 limited. My favorite and most used lens of all time. So call it priced to sell on this site as $200. Minus bubble wrap, shipping, insurance, and paypal fee. That's $150 to me. I bought it new and I think it was over $400. $150 does not make that much difference in my life. The pancake, $100 on ebay. Even with the economy box you can get I'm looking at $75 to me, for the lens that has the most cool factor ever.

Similar thinking for the fa 50 1.4.

It is what it is and that is why I wanted to bundle. Now, it just looks like I will keep. Maybe bundle the 50.
08-20-2020, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bundles sell poorly on PF. But I would start that way and see. You can always change it up.
08-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is my dilemma. A quick look at ebay says $250 for the HD DA 40 limited. My favorite and most used lens of all time. So call it priced to sell on this site as $200. Minus bubble wrap, shipping, insurance, and paypal fee. That's $150 to me. I bought it new and I think it was over $400. $150 does not make that much difference in my life. The pancake, $100 on ebay. Even with the economy box you can get I'm looking at $75 to me, for the lens that has the most cool factor ever.

Similar thinking for the fa 50 1.4.

It is what it is and that is why I wanted to bundle. Now, it just looks like I will keep. Maybe bundle the 50.
Used prices have seemed to be down the last couple of years, I don't know if it's a result of people going to mirrorless, or an overall good economy meant more people were buying new. I would expect the K-3 to take a hit too, with so many people ready to dump them as soon as the K-new is out. I would get that K-3 out there soon. I sold some tripods and related gear recently, and I wanted to sell it fast, some sat on ebay so I withdrew it and listed on Mercari where it sold fast. The biggest problem with Mercari is that they buy your shipping, it might be USPA, UPS, or FedEx, so I had to do some drop offs at a UPS store. Just be careful buying there, many of the sellers don't know a thing about what they are selling. I had to return a "like new" M 28 because it was full of fungus.

I'm not sure how you are shipping, but the USPS can give you priority mail boxes for free, it doesn't include bubble wrap or tape, but the boxes are nice. I order them online and they deliver them, or sometimes the post offices will have them. They come in packs of 10+, if you don't want them all the local PO will take them. Priority Mail is the best way I've found to ship items, usually the cheapest rate, insured up to $50 free, 2-3 day delivery.

08-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems I recall a couple of years ago seeing a post where someone shooting a model or wedding (can't remember which) was getting color fringing in the clothing of the subject with the FA 43 but not with the HD DA 40. I also have both the FA 77mm (for years and which I love!) and the HD DA 70mm which I also really love, and rather a similar scenario between the two regarding even smaller size, edge-to-edge performance at all apertures, as well as color fringing.

When I'm out and about and the extra reach will be an asset (also great for candids) as well as its faster aperture for low light onset as a factor, I will take the FA 77 (great bokeh too when that will be a factor). But when the strengths of the HD DA 70 will be an asset (and its bokeh is darn good too) then it will be my choice. But of course, regarding the DA 70mm, I am referring to APS-C use.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-20-2020 at 01:21 PM.
08-20-2020, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So on the marketplace I saw a super low priced K-3ii. Like half ebay low (I don't mean the stupid priced ebay where it is basically MSRP new, you know those jokers, not sure why they do that???).

Low enough I will keep or just gift it.

Speaking of which I have solved the problem of 5 APS-C lenses including the plastic fantastics. Several years ago my neighbor quit his high paying computer
management job to start a church in a very rough, underserved, area of Baltimore (think riots - helecopter searchlights in his yard from way back). His Nikon
kit camera had been stolen by his drug addicted brother in law. I gifted him a nice K200D. Now, his daughter, a couple years older than mine but they were

friends, has shown an interest in photography. So I gifted her my K-5ii, with Katzeye screen and cup, 5 lenses, battery grip, flash, and a bucket of stuff.

If I can't get 80 percent of the lowest ebay offer (which Amazon was about 15 percent more, used, good condition), I'll give it away.
Body MIGHT have less than 1000 clicks on it.

"I'm not giving it away, but, I might just give it away."
08-20-2020, 07:20 PM - 4 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

If you give your gear away to someone deserving then you get full value for it.
08-20-2020, 07:25 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So on the marketplace I saw a super low priced K-3ii. Like half ebay low (I don't mean the stupid priced ebay where it is basically MSRP new, you know those jokers, not sure why they do that???).

Speaking of which I have solved the problem of 5 APS-C lenses including the plastic fantastics. Several years ago my neighbor quit his high paying computer
management job to start a church in a very rough, underserved, area of Baltimore (think riots - helecopter searchlights in his yard from way back). His Nikon
kit camera had been stolen by his drug addicted brother in law. I gifted him a nice K200D. Now, his daughter, a couple years older than mine but they were

friends, has shown an interest in photography. So I gifted her my K-5ii, with Katzeye screen and cup, 5 lenses, battery grip, flash, and a bucket of stuff.

If I can't get 80 percent of the lowest ebay offer (which Amazon was about 15 percent more, used, good condition), I'll give it away.
Body MIGHT have less than 1000 clicks on it.

Paying it forward is always satisfying.
08-20-2020, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you give your gear away to someone deserving then you get full value for it.

I will remember this until the day I die.
08-21-2020, 07:26 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the k-3 is the one I know about it is shutter count related. The same seller (if we are talking about the same k-3) had a lower count k-3 sold for about $150 more than they are asking for the one with 120,000 clicks on it. So the price isn't indicative of the normal k-3 sale, but it's a great bargain if someone needs a backup our just wants to try the k-3.

However your plan of finding a worthy person to donate the camera to is probably the most satisfying option.
08-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #29
Veteran Member

The DA 40 works well in FF mode with a K-1. keep at least the HD. I love the 40 on my K-1.
08-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, so, I need my computer to be able to get the clicks. I'm not actually sure how to hook it up to the computer. I mean for my K-3ii. I did make an offer to a member but did not hear back. I did not think it was unreasonable. What is a good number for an almost unused K-3ii, kit lens, and extended grip? 1000 clicks. I actually can't post it right now I'm waiting on new batteries, the nice super large manual from ebay (I misplaced the original), a replacement eyecup (I think the original had a factory defect, but it is not perfect so I got aftermarket), and as long as I was at it a round eyecup (almost as cheap to get 2, with shipping, and I will send one to the little girl in Baltimore).

Speaking of which, I gifted her the pancake. I do not need two crop sensor 40mm lenses. I hope she is able to stay with it. It's a good boost up I hope.
I started with the *ist and kit lens. Then upgraded to the K200D and the 35 and 50 plastics. Then, the pancake 40.

I won't upgrade from the K-1. Well never, say never. But certainly not before my baby is grown and on her own. There will be time for bugs, and flowers, and the Milky Way, later on.
For now, I just want us to keep living life.