Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2020, 06:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

The bundle/worth keeping question

I have the K-1ii. I see no reason to upgrade again. I wanted FF for the light gathering, and to use the fantastic, and expensive, lenses that I was using on crop sensors, to their fullest.

I would like to bundle, or sell, but I think bundle is a great idea (think American Pickers, both buyer and seller wins).

For sale will be the K-3ii. I don't see a reason to keep the 3 plastic fantastics.
35, 50, and 55-300. Of course, I will include the 18-135 kit lens.

I have a manual focus 50 and 55 of the radioactive thorium nature. But I did not get all the yellow out yet.
So, I will keep those.

That leaves me with the DA 1:2.8 40mm xs, the "pancake." New, these are over $200 (can't remember how much I paid, but
I am sure it was used).

I also have the HD DA 1:2.8 40 mm limited. This one was expensive, and still kinda is new, and even used.

The latter was my walk around lens for a long time. Back to when I treated my K-5ii as a walk around point and shoot
(daughter was VERY young, I just wanted pics, in rapid fire).

I love the look and feel of the pancake.
But honestly, that HD, the pics, are phenominal (at least shooting on auto).

Is either worth keeping for a K-1.

---------- Post added 08-19-20 at 09:24 PM ----------

I forgot about the FA 50mm 1.4. It's FF but I don't see it getting much use, unless I did not have the 40mm HD.
The color on the 40 is phenominal. But hey, it is not FF, eh.

08-19-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Pentax' website and the PF lens compatibility checker advise against using your 40mm lenses with full frame. This other thread, though, shows vignetting is not bad K-1 and DA 40 Limited - PentaxForums.com

Keep one if you have need for a very compact lens. It's a good companion for something like the 150-450 if you expect to shoot telephoto all day. Keep the 40mm with you just in case you get an unexpected photo opportunity.
08-19-2020, 06:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just found the Takumar 28-80. The colors really popped on this version.

---------- Post added 08-19-20 at 09:52 PM ----------

Thank you, I will actually read those articles. Here is the thing (I have had a TBI), I got the FA 43 limited, last. Way after the 31 and 77. I only took a couple test shots with it. Even our birthday portraits for my daughter when having the 43, I only used the 31 and 77 (as I did the exact photos in previous years). I forgot I had it.

Size wise the 43 is not much more than the 40 limited. I'm inclined to sell the 40 limited (again, I LOVE it, but, it was the best time of my life with my baby).

The pancake I might keep just because I can't get jack re-selling it.

Last edited by condor27596; 08-19-2020 at 06:53 PM.
08-19-2020, 07:05 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
Is either worth keeping for a K-1.
Shoot in crop mode and you have performance similar to your K5II.

Steve

08-19-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have the crop mode turned on. I've tested them all. Except the 43 which I forgot about. Wonderful pics.

But I want to raise revenue outside my household budget for something I really want.

While of course, keeping the 3 Amigos.
08-19-2020, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In my opinion you'll get more revenue selling individual than bundle. Most buyers won't want all of that unless they are getting a tremendous deal.
08-19-2020, 07:52 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep the DA 21mm and DA 40mm XS, I use both on my K-1 in cropped and uncropped modes, and they deliver so much quality in suuch a compact form, irrplaceable, IMO.

08-19-2020, 08:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can't sell the plastic fantastics outside a bundle. To do so, I lose money, after box (possible free), bubble wrap, insurance, and shipping. Then, the paypal fees.

Same for the K-3 grip. That can't be sold individually.

The others, maybe, and your point well taken.

When I get it all together I will post the I want it out of the house by Friday price.
08-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

...I also have the HD DA 1:2.8 40 mm limited. This one was expensive, and still kinda is new, and even used.

The latter was my walk around lens for a long time. Back to when I treated my K-5ii as a walk around point and shoot
(daughter was VERY young, I just wanted pics, in rapid fire).

I love the look and feel of the pancake.
But honestly, that HD, the pics, are phenominal (at least shooting on auto)...

The color on the 40 is phenominal...
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
...Keep one if you have need for a very compact lens. It's a good companion for something like the 150-450 if you expect to shoot telephoto all day. Keep the 40mm with you just in case you get an unexpected photo opportunity.
Speaking only to this issue, I've found you dont need a camera bag with the 40 Ltd. It easily fits into a felt bag that will fit into a pants pocket or even a shirt pocket.
08-19-2020, 08:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Love the DA 40 on my K1. And not in crop mode. I think the XS version is the same optical formula but lacks the metal build.
08-19-2020, 08:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I appreciate all input. The more I think on it the more the thing I want really bad, and not only the above mentioned, I am willing to sell some Nice Stuff, to get.

I hold that close to the vest for now. But there would be another Unboxing Video!
08-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes the "3 Amigos" are wonderful. But I would advise keeping your HD DA 40mm LTD too. From what I've seen by lab testing, user reports, etc. it is fully usable on a FF body. It is not as fast aperture wise as the FA 43mm (also a beautiful lens), but there can be times when its particular virtues will make it the preference. Like the HD coatings, its SUPER compact and lightweight design, and when you'll want edge-to-edge sharp performance through its aperture range.

I have both, the FA 43mm for many years.
08-19-2020, 09:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
WOW That makes me a fence sitter on it. As mentioned before, I got more use out of that lens than all others combined.
Simply put, it kicked a$$. The sharpness and colors unparalelled from what I had (mostly, not good stuff).

It was one of the first expensive lenses I got. The others, not so much, and not so good.

I only need one upvote to keep that thing. Will use tomorrow.

I paid new, full price for it.
08-20-2020, 04:09 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the SMC models of the DA Limiteds along with " the best lens of its class [ of one ] " the 40mm XS and two of the three FA Limiteds - 43mm and 77mm

I would not sell the 40mm Limited nor the 43mm Limited because of the quality of the lens

the XS:

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The SMC Pentax DA 40mm XS is based on the optical design of the SMC Pentax DA 40mm Limited, but its exterior is designed by Marc Newson so as to match the design of the K-01 mirrorless camera. The lens will work with Pentax DSLRs as well as with the K-01.

It is smaller being only 9.2 mm thick. The aperture blades are rounded which produces a smooth bokeh. The front element has SP coating which repels dust, water and grease and which makes it easier to wipe the front element clean.
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/smc-pentax-da-40mm-f2.8-xs.html#ixzz6VejLV6Wb

I would not sell because I wouldn't receive its value

just my thoughts

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-20-2020 at 05:01 AM.
08-20-2020, 04:41 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't sell the plastic fantastics outside a bundle. To do so, I lose money, after box (possible free), bubble wrap, insurance, and shipping. Then, the paypal fees.

Same for the K-3 grip. That can't be sold individually.

The others, maybe, and your point well taken.

When I get it all together I will post the I want it out of the house by Friday price.
If you sell most of it individually your potential market is everyone who needs one of those pieces. If you sell it all as a bundle your market is people who need an entire camera kit, but happen to be on Pentax Forums already. So it would usually be a 2nd or 3rd system or a gift. Your aperture will be 80 or 90% narrower. You might make more money and have less effort, but be prepared to wait a while and perhaps not sell it at all.