Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2020, 01:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Revuenon 55 1.2 worth it?

Hello dear Pentaxians,

I have the opportunity to buy a Revuenon 55 F1.2 lens (PK Mount) in like new condition for $370. Is it worth it?

There is only 12 reviews on it
Revuenon 55mm F1.2 MC Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

This could be my first 1.2 lens.

Please advice...

Kind regards.

J.

08-22-2020, 03:59 AM   #2

The Revuenon is said to be much better than the Porst lens of same vintage/specifications. It was made by Cosina and also sold under that name, and probably others, too. So you can read five more reviews of the Cosina, too.

It looks like it's a great lens, but In Germany it can frequently be found for €200, so $370 isn't exactly a bargain. But depending on where you live, it might be the only price available.

---------- Post added Aug 22nd, 2020 at 04:06 ----------

It looks like Cosina also made the Porst version of the lens that's optically much weaker than the Revuenon. Key distinguishing features are the black anodised lens mount for the Porst and the overall shape of the lenses.

It looks like both Vivitar and Ricoh rebadged the Cosina/Revuenon lens.
08-22-2020, 04:09 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jome Quote
Hello dear Pentaxians,

I have the opportunity to buy a Revuenon 55 F1.2 lens (PK Mount) in like new condition for $370. Is it worth it?

There is only 12 reviews on it
Revuenon 55mm F1.2 MC Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

This could be my first 1.2 lens.

Please advice...

Kind regards.

J.

I have three 55/1.2 lenses and the Cosina (supposedly the same as the Rev) is the easiest of the three to shoot/work with - you have to decide if it is worth it, however....

I'm a cheap bastard and like hunting for the best price when I am looking for a particular lens, so if that price is low enough to be comfortable for you then do it...
08-22-2020, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Revuenon is the only 1.2 I have so I can't compare it to others. But I have done this comparative thread here that includes the Revuenon 1.2. Scrolling back through it now I feel if anything I had been a little hard on the Revuenon. What do you think?
Bokeh comparisons with different focal lengths - PentaxForums.com
The price is the driver really - in reality it is hard to justify that extra half stop isn't it. The thing is if you get one at the contemporary price then it is only going to go up in value in the future. No depreciation like a new lens.

08-22-2020, 05:17 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's half the usual going price for a Pentax A50/1.2

I've seen lots of shots with the Revuenon/Cosina from @pepperberry farm and they look pretty darn good.

I'd say go for it if you are already tempted.
08-22-2020, 06:04 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

I've seen lots of shots with the Revuenon/Cosina from @pepperberry farm and they look pretty darn good.

thank you - I'm trying to get this Nikkor 55/1.2 to come along peacefully, too...
08-22-2020, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
The Revuenon is said to be much better than the Porst lens of same vintage/specifications. It was made by Cosina and also sold under that name, and probably others, too. So you can read five more reviews of the Cosina, too.

It looks like it's a great lens, but In Germany it can frequently be found for €200, so $370 isn't exactly a bargain. But depending on where you live, it might be the only price available.

---------- Post added Aug 22nd, 2020 at 04:06 ----------

It looks like Cosina also made the Porst version of the lens that's optically much weaker than the Revuenon. Key distinguishing features are the black anodised lens mount for the Porst and the overall shape of the lenses.

It looks like both Vivitar and Ricoh rebadged the Cosina/Revuenon lens.
Thanks Antipattern,
It was the first time I saw an 1.2 lens that was under 400$ in my country and in such a good state.
I am aware that it is not a bargain, I cannot win all the time or do I?
In the country where I live, the evil bay is taking a lot of charges + the worst possible currency change + we have very zealous customs (with taxes) + Deutsche Post (DHL) is not known to be efficient at deliveries from other countries to the one I live in (and they also charge some unnecessary extra).
I will have to travel to Germany more often (after the Covid crisis).
Kind regards.
J.

08-22-2020, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I have three 55/1.2 lenses and the Cosina (supposedly the same as the Rev) is the easiest of the three to shoot/work with - you have to decide if it is worth it, however....

I'm a cheap bastard and like hunting for the best price when I am looking for a particular lens, so if that price is low enough to be comfortable for you then do it...
Thanks Pepperberry farm,

I try also to be that kind of bastard (it helps somehow to manage LBA and WAF). It is more an opportunity than a research (for that lens).
Kind regards.
J.
08-22-2020, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
The Revuenon is the only 1.2 I have so I can't compare it to others. But I have done this comparative thread here that includes the Revuenon 1.2. Scrolling back through it now I feel if anything I had been a little hard on the Revuenon. What do you think?
Bokeh comparisons with different focal lengths - PentaxForums.com
The price is the driver really - in reality it is hard to justify that extra half stop isn't it. The thing is if you get one at the contemporary price then it is only going to go up in value in the future. No depreciation like a new lens.
Thanks Gub,
I have seen that You were definitely not in love with the Bokeh rendering of your Revuenon
The half stop is totally unjustifiable
It will be my first 1.2 Lens (I have also seen someone added a pin to it in order to make it behave like an A-lens).
For the price, the only way to find an old lens in a good shape will drive it (except if I find another one a lot cheaper on a flea market that is in good shape - then I will be able to limit the expense by reselling it)
Kind regards.
J.
08-22-2020, 08:32 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

Thanks Sandy,

Where are those pictures?
Anyway pepperbery farm is able to do gorgeous pictures with any lenses...
And yes, I am very tempted.
Kind regards.
J.
08-22-2020, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #11
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Sandy,

Where are those pictures?
Anyway pepperbery farm is able to do gorgeous pictures with any lenses...
And yes, I am very tempted.
Kind regards.
J.

thank you - I swear it is all in the glass...

anyways, for comparison purposes, if it helps:

Cosina 55mm f1.2

Cosina 55mm f1.2 | Flickr

Porst 55mm f1.2

Porst Color Reflex MC Auto 55mm f1.2 | Flickr

and the Nikkor 55mm f1.2

Nikkor-SC 55mm f1.2 (F-mount) | Flickr
08-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I really liked it, I used it a fair bit on APSC and liked the results, but haven't tried it much on K-1.

The Bokeh is well known for being a little distinctive. It's certainly not unpleasant, I like it. I would honestly say I do like the lens for its colours as well as the wide-open performance and handling. Nice for portraiture on APSC and I really like it for botanical subjects and food and drink shots. Partly owing to the colours I think!

I have A50 1.2 as well and I actually find the Revuenon a little easier shoot somehow, depite the fact it isn't an A lens. Just feels a little easier to nail focus to me. Perhaps my expectations of A50 1.2 are too high, but I like the revuenon results more (wide open). Stopped down... the A50 is amazing.

I paid £200 ($260) for mine ten years ago, it was badly wrapped and damaged in the post and so I got a part refund of £50 to offset the pain. A lot less than I paid for A50 1.2 (roughly half), but not really a bargain given the condition.

I wouldn't buy this lens for an investment piece, but if you want to do some wide open manual focus shots it's a great choice and a lot better value than A50 1.2.For $280 today I would want nice condition and to feel like I would use it a fair bit I think?

John
08-24-2020, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
thank you - I swear it is all in the glass...

anyways, for comparison purposes, if it helps:

Cosina 55mm f1.2

Cosina 55mm f1.2 | Flickr

Porst 55mm f1.2

Porst Color Reflex MC Auto 55mm f1.2 | Flickr

and the Nikkor 55mm f1.2

Nikkor-SC 55mm f1.2 (F-mount) | Flickr
Thanks pepperbery farm,

That cosina seems very sharp full open, the porst seems to have some little more busy Bokeh (but only a feeling) and The Nikkor seems particularly good and crisp.

It is strange that there is not that high amount of review of these Cosina/Revuenon, etc.

I saw also that it could be radioactive or was it just the m42 version?

Anyway, despite a good breakfast, I am now hungry with all your pictures...

Take care.

J.
08-24-2020, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
I really liked it, I used it a fair bit on APSC and liked the results, but haven't tried it much on K-1.

The Bokeh is well known for being a little distinctive. It's certainly not unpleasant, I like it. I would honestly say I do like the lens for its colours as well as the wide-open performance and handling. Nice for portraiture on APSC and I really like it for botanical subjects and food and drink shots. Partly owing to the colours I think!

I have A50 1.2 as well and I actually find the Revuenon a little easier shoot somehow, depite the fact it isn't an A lens. Just feels a little easier to nail focus to me. Perhaps my expectations of A50 1.2 are too high, but I like the revuenon results more (wide open). Stopped down... the A50 is amazing.

I paid £200 ($260) for mine ten years ago, it was badly wrapped and damaged in the post and so I got a part refund of £50 to offset the pain. A lot less than I paid for A50 1.2 (roughly half), but not really a bargain given the condition.

I wouldn't buy this lens for an investment piece, but if you want to do some wide open manual focus shots it's a great choice and a lot better value than A50 1.2.For $280 today I would want nice condition and to feel like I would use it a fair bit I think?

John
Thanks John,

Are You still using it?

Kind regards.

J.
08-24-2020, 02:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks John,

Are You still using it?

Kind regards.

J.
Not much, but this thread has made me think I should give it a try again. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I have lots of other options around this FL and try to do some rotation!

Looking back in lightroom, I have personally always got better shots from this than the A50 1.2 for some reason. I am not a regular portrait shooter but l got really nice ones (well, ones that pleased me!) on APSC with this lens. The lens size is really unobtrusive and that helps the subjects relax.

The bokeh is really unusual on this lens, under 'normal' conditions it is really 'dreamy'. However, under the conditions of circular OOF highlights, the discs have unusual bright edges that may or may not be desirable. Technically, with modern lenses you can find better/sharper of course but this lens gives a lovely vintage look at a reasonable price.

I am embarassed to say I never tried it on FF - I need to fix that! On FF, I do like using fast primes like this with extension tubes for garden macros, a nice way to explore the lovely bokeh of these lenses, so may try that soon!

John

Last edited by johnc; 08-24-2020 at 02:50 AM.