Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Crud. I just accidentally bought a poor condition 500mm/4.5

I wanted one just to have it, and put the AF 1.7x TC on it and play with it in good light. I let a bunch of them go by on eBay. There was another being sold with crappy photos that I couldn't tell the mount type in (I wanted a K; didn't want to buy M42). I e-mailed the seller and he told me he couldn't tell but would post pictures (that should have scared me away!).

I decided let me put in a low bid to get in it, thinking from the pix it would be K (well, it wasn't). When he did post the pictures, I see there's corrosion towards the mount!!!! The description read "it is clean". I'd hoped to be outbid (I know there's repercussions having your bid withdrawn), but won it just under $400. Then to make matters worse I paid instead of fighting that description read 'it is clean', but with corrosion it is not. I'm quite worried about fungus now too; and have to buy the converter.

I'm my own worst enemy...

11-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, if it's not in satisfactory condition, send it back! How is the seller's feed back rating?

BTW: In the future, ask the seller if the lens has threads on it. Many sellers don't have a clue what a K mount is, but if it has threads they should know.
11-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe I was watching that lens too. Have you received it yet? If when you receive it it is not "clean", ask the seller (kindly) for a partial refund because the item isn't as described. Or maybe just return it if he's willing to that.

I've had the chance to use one of these lenses (in M42 mount) and was surprised at how well it performed. Very little CA or PF given its simple coatings.

Here is an uncropped shot, using a monopod. The little fella was maybe 15m away. Oh, and the lens had a bit of fungus around the edges of one of the interior elements.

Takumar 500mm f/4.5 - K10D f/4.5 1/125s ISO320
11-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
I wanted one just to have it, and put the AF 1.7x TC on it and play with it in good light. I let a bunch of them go by on eBay. There was another being sold with crappy photos that I couldn't tell the mount type in (I wanted a K; didn't want to buy M42). I e-mailed the seller and he told me he couldn't tell but would post pictures (that should have scared me away!).

I decided let me put in a low bid to get in it, thinking from the pix it would be K (well, it wasn't). When he did post the pictures, I see there's corrosion towards the mount!!!! The description read "it is clean". I'd hoped to be outbid (I know there's repercussions having your bid withdrawn), but won it just under $400. Then to make matters worse I paid instead of fighting that description read 'it is clean', but with corrosion it is not. I'm quite worried about fungus now too; and have to buy the converter.

I'm my own worst enemy...

I wouldn't worry about it. Just go ahead and use it. You can always sell it later (with a more accurate description) and I'll bet you'll get your money back. 500mm at f/4.5 isn't easy to come by at that price.

11-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanx all for the encouraging words & example Miserere.

Since I had already got the ball rolling with the seller before posting this and getting your responses, it became something I couldn't stop. Perhaps the glass is clean, but I sure couldn't tell with the pictures that were posted in the listing. The seller got quite insulted by that, but it's the truth. I needed to document my concern thru eBay. He did give me my money back, if in a huff.

Maybe he'll re-list with pix of the glass in-focus, and get an extra $150 for his troubles if it is free of fungus...
11-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

"He did give me my money back, if in a huff."

Well who cares if he huffed and puffed and .... as long as you got your money back if he did indeed misrepresent the product its why you got the money back and he needs to tone down his greed; unless of course he truly made an error. What was his feedback rating.
11-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Thanx all for the encouraging words & example Miserere.

Since I had already got the ball rolling with the seller before posting this and getting your responses, it became something I couldn't stop. Perhaps the glass is clean, but I sure couldn't tell with the pictures that were posted in the listing. The seller got quite insulted by that, but it's the truth. I needed to document my concern thru eBay. He did give me my money back, if in a huff.

Maybe he'll re-list with pix of the glass in-focus, and get an extra $150 for his troubles if it is free of fungus...
Glad you got your money back.

We paid about $500 for a K500/4.5 in pristine condition from KEH. So hopefully you'll find a better copy at about that same price as that corroded eekbay thing!

11-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #8
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
James, it was 100%, under 50 transactions.
Thanx as well Ole. There's been one sitting "in transit" for a while there @ KEH . (that reminds me. I owe you feedback here on this board)
BTW, Miserere, I really like that detail on the nut. Having used my 300/2.8 + 1.4x then 2x TC from about 75 feet (more?) against one of them tree rats working through a nut for 10 minutes on my fence , I can appreciate that. I need to finish converting those and share them one of these days.