Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So this is very interesting to me because I never noticed the dual electrical contacts on my 24mm super-wide II until just now. Mine looks just like Just1MoreDave's I didn't realize that Sigma (and now I see some other 3rd party brands) did that. This is one of the things that I find the Forums to be indispensable.

Optical Illusion, I wouldn't worry about removing this version of the pin as I have used my copy on my K10D for a long time without any issues whatsoever. Heck, I didn't even realize the lens had the pin! Not all versions of the Ricoh pin stick on the screw drive mechanism, and this appears to be one of those examples.

I'd check out this thread for more info: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/83417-help-kpr-mount.html

01-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I ended up taking the lens apart since I was too worried about it getting stuck... Turns out it isn't the "long" pin shown in the usual tutorial link about "ricoh pin fix". It's a shorter pin that I actually couldn't remove without even further disassembly, which I was not willing to do...

So, I ended up bending the spring a bit, which recessed the pin into it's hole, so it is still there but it does not protrude. I suspect that it wouldn't have even been a problem had I tried to mount it, but it wasn't too big of a deal just to take it apart and see...

Now that I've tried the lens, I'm not sure that it's all that "macro"... which was kind of my main reason for getting one... I compared it to the 18-55mm kit lens and it doesn't seem to have too much of an advantage over that one... That's just my initial impression.
01-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Optical Illusion Quote
Now that I've tried the lens, I'm not sure that it's all that "macro"... which was kind of my main reason for getting one... I compared it to the 18-55mm kit lens and it doesn't seem to have too much of an advantage over that one... That's just my initial impression.
Glad to hear that you found a "fix" for the potential problem. My experience with the 24mm is that it's really just a close-focus, 1:4 "macro" like most of the lenses that claim macro capability. FWIW, I don't recall ever seeing a true macro 28mm, but others might.

Still, I think you'll find that it's a fantastic lens that holds its own with the Pentaxes and Vivitar Close Focuses, although a bit more susceptible to flare when shooting into a strong light source--so I strongly recommend using a hood. I often choose my Super-Wide II precisely for the pleasing flare it produces, in fact. I've long thought seriously about picking up a copy of your 28mm, but never have for whatever reason.