Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2020, 05:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA 18-135 mm lens won't focus

I went out for a hike today and tried to take a photo with my DA 18-135 lens attached to my K70. The lens would not focus in either the auto or manual mode. It was working yesterday and I can't figure out what the problem is. I took off the lens and polished the electrical contacts on both the lens and camera body but it did not solve the problem. I went home and checked the settings on the camera but to no avail. I though the camera was broken even though it had not been heavily used. As an afterthought I put my DA12-24 on the camera and it worked perfectly. It was the 18-135mm that was busted. I was surprised since I always believed that lenses almost never fail - it's always the camera. What advice can you give me, learned Pentaxians?

08-31-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So by saying it is not working in MF or AF, what do you mean - are you saying you can't achieve focus even when turn the focus ring manually? If so that sounds mechanical unfortunately.
Also if you rake the zoom to different focal lengths does it make any difference - I ask that because my 18-135 sometimes stops focusing wide angles but then works after zooming in then back out a couple of times (probably something mechanical but not worth having it repaired as it works most of the time).
08-31-2020, 07:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
So by saying it is not working in MF or AF, what do you mean - are you saying you can't achieve focus even when turn the focus ring manually? If so that sounds mechanical unfortunately.
Also if you rake the zoom to different focal lengths does it make any difference - I ask that because my 18-135 sometimes stops focusing wide angles but then works after zooming in then back out a couple of times (probably something mechanical but not worth having it repaired as it works most of the time).
Hi Kiwi. I tried focussing at different focal lengths. In auto focus, there is no response when I point the camera at a subject. In manual, I can spin the focus ring and again nothing happens. It seems that the lens is not sensing anything when I try to focus and hold the shutter button halfway down at the same time. It's a mystery.. There must be an electrical short circuit somewhere in the lens.
08-31-2020, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
Hi Kiwi. I tried focussing at different focal lengths. In auto focus, there is no response when I point the camera at a subject. In manual, I can spin the focus ring and again nothing happens. It seems that the lens is not sensing anything when I try to focus and hold the shutter button halfway down at the same time. It's a mystery.. There must be an electrical short circuit somewhere in the lens.
So if you look at a subject using live view (ideally with with magnification) and turn the manual focus ring, you don't see focus change at all? If so that sounds like a mechanical problem in the lens.

08-31-2020, 10:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 18-135 did exactly the same thing but was repaired under the 3 year extended warranty (the warranty was almost ended). Now, again, 3 years later it has done the same thing again. I'm shopping for a new/ near new lens. Evidently some of these lenses just are bad.
09-01-2020, 12:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyL Quote
My 18-135 did exactly the same thing but was repaired under the 3 year extended warranty (the warranty was almost ended). Now, again, 3 years later it has done the same thing again. I'm shopping for a new/ near new lens. Evidently some of these lenses just are bad.
Yes, apparently there are a few lemons out there. But in general it is rare to come across a failure complaint involving this particular lens. In fact, it has been among the most dependable. Like anything else, it is possible there was a bad batch manufactured at some point.
09-01-2020, 05:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
So if you look at a subject using live view (ideally with with magnification) and turn the manual focus ring, you don't see focus change at all? If so that sounds like a mechanical problem in the lens.
Hi Kiwi, the lens focussing problem occurred when I was using the viewfinder, I seldom use Liveview because in bright conditions it is difficult to see the picture. I tried using Liveview as you suggested and I still had the same problem. However, when I tried to focus I detected the camera give a double shake as if it was trying to focus, but nothing happened. I have concluded that the lens has an electro-mechanical problem and I am trying to decide if it's worth repairing. I own a Tamron 28-300mm lens and a Pentax 18-250mm lens. A comparison showed that they are just as sharp as the 18-135. Maybe I'll use one of these as my standard lens. They are a bit heavier but that's OK.

09-01-2020, 07:38 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if out of warranty and you want to investigate cost of repair, here are the options:

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)

Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

click on link to get active links

I have used Phototronics here in Topeka, he fixed a broken 150-450mm zoom for me

https://phototronic.biz/
09-01-2020, 09:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Slyfox, I was just about to ask if anybody could recommend a lens repair shop. I could probably buy a used lens for about $300. Could a repair cost close to this?
09-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Slyfox, I was just about to ask if anybody could recommend a lens repair shop. I could probably buy a used lens for about $300. Could a repair cost close to this?
no idea
09-03-2020, 04:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Today, I sent the lens to Eric. On his website it states that he will email me an estimate for repairs. I'll take it from there.
09-08-2020, 02:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I sent my lens to Erric for repair and just got an email from him. He can't repair my lens because he can't get parts from Ricoh. I went online to Precision Camera, the authorized repair shop for Pentax, and it states that this kens can be repaired for about $200 plus taxes. Seems reasonable I think I'll call them to see if they have parts for the job.
09-08-2020, 10:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had this same problem with an F lens, The front element had rotated loose a half turn, probably from removing a filter. That it wouldn't focus in Manual suggested it was a mechanical problem.
09-20-2020, 05:54 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I decided not to repair my lens because the cost (at least $200 from Precision) is greater than the cost of buying a used lens in excellent condition. I checked on Ebay and made a bid on a replacement lens. I was told that I was the highest bidder with my offer of $150. Shipping was about $30 and with tax I would have paid about $200 total. I later checked to find that the lens was no longer available and I assume that somebody else had overbid me. I was surprised that I had not been warned that I was no longer the highest bidder and that I should rebid. I then decided make an offer on a second lens, again about $150, and contacted the seller with a private message. I got no answer and later found that the seller was "offline". Why bother to sell some thing if you are going to be offline? Finally I bought a lens from Japan that was offered at a set price. The lens was stated to be in excellent condition and it cost me $180 including taxes. Shipping was free. I've always gotten excellent service from Japanese sellers. They communicate well and keep you informed about the status of shipping. Can't wait to meet my new lens.
09-20-2020, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

it cost me $180 including taxes.
I was going to say that I have seen several for sale here and on the FB Pentaxians group for under 200 dollars. Glad you found a replacement.