Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2020, 02:42 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
manual focus terms.
damped refers to the friction as you turn the focus ring, you want it easy to move but not loose so when you have it where you want it it doesn't move.
Focus throw refers to how much you turn the lens to change focus. a short throw could mean you turn the focus a hair and everything is out of focus. A long throw means you can achieve extreme focus but not very fast.

09-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #17
Harbaror

Thank you sooo much, this really is some great help. I truly appreciate all the advice everyone is kindly giving me.
I want to shoot a lot of darker photos, and this is very my style is taking me, and I think maybe a larger aperture would be more fitting like the f/1.4.
Now I guess this is something I will need to experience with...

---------- Post added 09-07-20 at 05:25 PM ----------

By the way, as far as 35mm prime lenses go, is there only one 35mm lens with aperture f/1.4 (Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC ) which can fit the Pentax K1000? Everywhere I see, I only find f/2.

Regards[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 09-07-20 at 05:27 PM ----------

Last edited by Harbaror; 09-07-2020 at 05:28 PM.
09-07-2020, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is the nearly mythological M 35/1.4. A few copies were rumored to have been made, but no one outside of Japan seems to have ever seen one. IIRC the closest thing to a sighting was the dedicated lens hood...

SMC Pentax-M 35mm F1.4 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
09-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #19
Harbaror

good thing I live in Japan ;-)
But really no where to be found here either.

09-07-2020, 06:07 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe just get a 50mm f1.8 or faster and see what that's like on your K1000 and go from there? An M 50 f1.7 in good condition is, what, $75 in the USA? A K 35 f2 is twice that much money and more than twice as large and heavy. M 35 f2 is about the same situation really.

This is assuming you don't already have a lens like a fast 50. I have a hunch.
09-07-2020, 06:14 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to the "Pentax SLR Lens Discussion" forum
09-07-2020, 07:00 PM   #22
Pentaxian

If you want a fast 35mm F1.4 K mount lens with a mechanical aperture for a film camera, then the Samyang is your only option I know of. That's also why I own one, and it doesn't disappoint. Honestly F2 is still pretty bright and adequate for a 35mm though so I wouldn't rule it out. Is there a reason you specifically want 35mm? It is still rather wide on full frame/film, in fact 50mm can be alot more natural field of view and fast manual 50mm lenses are plentiful and inexpensive.

09-07-2020, 07:15 PM   #23
Harbaror

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
If you want a fast 35mm F1.4 K mount lens with a mechanical aperture for a film camera, then the Samyang is your only option I know of. That's also why I own one, and it doesn't disappoint. Honestly F2 is still pretty bright and adequate for a 35mm though so I wouldn't rule it out. Is there a reason you specifically want 35mm? It is still rather wide on full frame/film, in fact 50mm can be alot more natural field of view and fast manual 50mm lenses are plentiful and inexpensive.
Thank you for that comment.
I wan to shoot people indoor, often in small spaces, and the 50mm might not be wide enough.
There are times I might get close to the subject, but I do want to have some surrounding in the frame too.
Does this make some kind of sense?!

Regards
09-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A 35 makes sense from what you're explaining. A K or M series 35mm f2 would be good options as well as the Samyang. The Samyang is going to attract more attention than the Pentax lenses due to being so large. But it's probably the lens you really want.
09-07-2020, 07:43 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Harbaror Quote
Thank you for that comment.
I wan to shoot people indoor, often in small spaces, and the 50mm might not be wide enough.
There are times I might get close to the subject, but I do want to have some surrounding in the frame too.
Does this make some kind of sense?!

Regards
That does make sense, but I think the best advice I can offer is to start with a 50mm F1.4, any of the film era Pentax models will do and they are plentiful and affordable. 50mm isn't a tight portait style lens on film, it still offers some room for surroundings while not causing noticable distortion if you do want to get in close. I often feel my 35mm is too wide for this, unless you are shooting groups of people. This is of course all subjective and your tastes may differ, but a 50mm is a really good place to start and learn, and you can add a 35mm once you get a bit of experience. You will get to know what films you want to use, what speeds you need, and therefore how critical that large aperture is. Maybe you really need F1.4 but maybe you don't, and 50mm lets you learn that for less money up front, and you really should have a 50mm anyway so it's not a waste either.
09-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #26
Harbaror

That does make sense, but I think the best advice I can offer is to start with a 50mm F1.4, any of the film era Pentax models will do and they are plentiful and affordable. 50mm isn't a tight portait style lens on film, it still offers some room for surroundings while not causing noticable distortion if you do want to get in close. I often feel my 35mm is too wide for this, unless you are shooting groups of people. This is of course all subjective and your tastes may differ, but a 50mm is a really good place to start and learn, and you can add a 35mm once you get a bit of experience. You will get to know what films you want to use, what speeds you need, and therefore how critical that large aperture is. Maybe you really need F1.4 but maybe you don't, and 50mm lets you learn that for less money up front, and you really should have a 50mm anyway so it's not a waste either.
Thank you so much for the wonderful advice.
This is really teaching me a lot of valuable information.
And this is what I intend to do.
I will look for a good 50mm f/1.4 lens which I am sure I can find for a good price here in Japan.

Thank you again so much
09-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
A 35 makes sense from what you're explaining. A K or M series 35mm f2 would be good options as well as the Samyang. The Samyang is going to attract more attention than the Pentax lenses due to being so large. But it's probably the lens you really want.
Haha, see we both replied with different opinions, and that is why this is a fun an interesting hobby. Styles and preferences matter so much and only you know exactly what you like and are looking for. None of the choices you can make here are wrong, they are just options that yield slightly different results.
09-07-2020, 08:53 PM   #28
Harbaror

Yes, everything is subjective of each persons perspective in take photos. So it truly makes this hobby a wide and limitless possibilities.
I will start with a good 50mm lens and work my way from there.

Regards
09-08-2020, 03:26 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Don't forget the small M28/2.8 or the M40/2.8 !!!
Seb
09-08-2020, 03:27 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haha, see we both replied with different opinions, and that is why this is a fun an interesting hobby. Styles and preferences matter so much and only you know exactly what you like and are looking for. None of the choices you can make here are wrong, they are just options that yield slightly different results.
He's already got a Pentax 50 f2, which isn't a great lens, but it will show how that focal length fits in with what he's wanting to do.

If I'm honest the focal length I would want if I were him is a 40, but fast 40's are limited in general, and especially in SLR's. So the next stop is 35's.