Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #1

Lens Recommendations For K-10D

Picked up a K-10D not long ago to give the CCD sensor a try. While I’m loving the camera, I’m not enjoying the Tamron 28-80 that came with it.

I was hoping the keepers of Pentax knowledge could recommend some out of production lenses to use with the K-10D.

Why out of production? Because hunting them down is fun in and of itself.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

09-06-2020, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best lens for color that I've used is the Voigtlander 75mm f2.5 lens. Put it's incredible color producing capability on the K-10's CCD sensor and you'll have a color rendering combination "made in heaven".

This is a rare lens, especially in the K mount, but I do believe that one is currently offered here in the for sale section of the Pentax Forums.
09-06-2020, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the OP might want to check out what has been posted here:

The K10D Club! - Page 416 - PentaxForums.com

and see what lenses were used
09-06-2020, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Absurdious Quote
Picked up a K-10D not long ago to give the CCD sensor a try. While I’m loving the camera, I’m not enjoying the Tamron 28-80 that came with it.

I was hoping the keepers of Pentax knowledge could recommend some out of production lenses to use with the K-10D.

Why out of production? Because hunting them down is fun in and of itself.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.
It might help if we knew what kind of shooting you lean toward, landscape, street, portrait, etc. that being said, do you want autofocus or manual focus lenses? Out of production autofocus lenses would be the F series, and a lot of the FA series. Two F lenses I would recommend are the F 50/1.7, and the F 35-70 zoom, both are very good in my opinion. There are thousands of manual focus primes that are worthy. The K10D is going to be harder to focus that the more modern cameras but many users are very good at it. Have fun !

09-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love using my DA18-135 for general-purpose shooting on my K10D. A great all-rounder. Sharp and colorful with very nice rendering.
As @aslyfox mentioned, a visit to the K10D Club might be helpful.
09-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #6
Forum Member

A plastic fantastic 35 / 2.4 could be a good, cheap place to start.
09-06-2020, 12:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My used K10D came with a Pentax 18-55 kit lens. Soon after I got a used Sigma 17-70mm DC Macro lens. MAJOR upgrade in IQ. I used it for several of these shots:
Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-K10D - PentaxForums.com

09-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the feedback!!
09-06-2020, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I always found that the K10D and DA 16-45mm made a superb pair.
09-06-2020, 06:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sigma 28mm EX DG f1.8 is a very good performer. The 24mm sister to this lens is supposed to be excellent as well.

DA 70 SMC maybe as well.
09-06-2020, 08:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I still use my K10 as well as my K5.

Lenses that, for me, have given best results from my bag are as follows:
Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5
Pentax M50 1.8
Pentax-FA 100-300mm F4.7-5.8
Pentax-F 28-80mm F3.5-4.5
09-06-2020, 09:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Older discontinued lenses? I would get an old 24mm f2.8 for the wide end. Cosina/Tokina/Sigma made good ones. The SMC Pentax versions will cost a bit more.
Then an SMC-M 50mm f1.7 will be totally awesome - and it's cheap. Best deal in photography I think.
For telephoto, an SMC-A 70-210mm f4 Macro is great, but an SMC-M 100mm f2.8 and SMC-A 200mm f4 would be slightly better.
If budget is no objection, an SMC-A 50mm f1.2 and SMC-M* 135mm f1.8 could also be considered...
09-07-2020, 01:52 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Absurdious Quote
. . . Why out of production? Because hunting them down is fun in and of itself. . . .

if one is looking for out of production Pentax, it might be wise to know what works with the camera and the differences in the various Pentax lenses. Perhaps these might help the OP:

QuoteQuote:
Check Lens Compatibility with your Pentax Camera
Most Pentax lenses are compatible with most Pentax cameras. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, including limitations with certain lenses. It's always a good idea to check before buying a lens.

This tool lets you check the compatibility of your Pentax digital camera with any Pentax lens or any current third-party lens. Type a partial name to see suggestions. See also: Lens Search | Camera Database

Check Compatibility

Camera:

Lens:
Read more at: Check Lens Compatibility with Your Pentax Camera

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell
There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.
The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2020 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA".
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts unless they are singled out in the table below. So for compatibility of a DA* lens which is not singled out, look under DA lenses, etc.
Exceptions:
FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

Check this page out for more on the Pentax lens nomenclature: Pentax lens series explained.
The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
09-07-2020, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #14
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
It might help if we knew what kind of shooting you lean toward, landscape, street, portrait, etc. that being said, do you want autofocus or manual focus lenses? Out of production autofocus lenses would be the F series, and a lot of the FA series. Two F lenses I would recommend are the F 50/1.7, and the F 35-70 zoom, both are very good in my opinion. There are thousands of manual focus primes that are worthy. The K10D is going to be harder to focus that the more modern cameras but many users are very good at it. Have fun !
I second the 35-70 F. The macro mode on it is quite good.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
09-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Then an SMC-M 50mm f1.7 will be totally awesome - and it's cheap. Best deal in photography I think.
I second this recommendation. Very fine quality manual lens at bargain prices. Slightly telephoto on an APS-c camera like the K10D (35mm focal length gives 'normal' field of view).