Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

FA31 or FA43 which is the most preferred

I am at a crossroads as to decide on buying another FA prime.

I have held off buying anything for a couple of months as I have been satisfied with what I have kit wise and with the results achieved with my DA 16-50 that covers the range of both these desirable primes, but I do long for a prime especially an FA limited... Maybe its just LBA biting after all this time but I can both afford the lens and also put a new FA Limited to use as I do with all lenses in my kit.

I feel at this stage the benefits of a prime in this range outweigh my thoughts that I have it well coverd with the above mentioned DA... maybe it sounds like I double talk here

I also have the DA 50-135, but pull out often my FA 77 when I feel it best suited to the occasion

Seeing that most of my shots taken with my DA 16-50 are at around 16-35 range I am not quite sure if I should lean towards the FA 31.... maybe both

For those of you that have the 2 primes and maybe a zoom that covers the range of both can give me some kind advice.

I have read up on both lenses and I am pleased with the results shown in this forum with both... especially of late with the FA 43

Neil

11-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote

I have held off buying anything for a couple of months as I have been satisfied with what I have kit wise and with the results achieved with my DA 16-50 that covers the range of both these desirable primes, but I do long for a prime especially an FA limited... Maybe its just LBA biting after all this time but I can both afford the lens and also put a new FA Limited to use as I do with all lenses in my kit.

I feel at this stage the benefits of a prime in this range outweigh my thoughts that I have it well coverd with the above mentioned DA... maybe it sounds like I double talk here

I also have the DA 50-135, but pull out often my FA 77 when I feel it best suited to the occasion

Seeing that most of my shots taken with my DA 16-50 are at around 16-35 range I am not quite sure if I should lean towards the FA 31.... maybe both

For those of you that have the 2 primes and maybe a zoom that covers the range of both can give me some kind advice.

I have read up on both lenses and I am pleased with the results shown in this forum with both... especially of late with the FA 43

Neil
I used to have the 31ltd, now I have the 43. they are so very similar in IQ
(A++, 10, use whatever scale you want.)

You just need to decide on which FL is better for you. Then, consider price -
prodigital2000 can get you a 43ltd for $345 - $375 USD. You can own both
the 43ltd and 35ltd macro for around the cost of the 31ltd. Also, size - the
43ltd is smaller.

But they both are spectacular. The price is the only real reason I didn't hang
on to my 31 - put the $ towards the Tammy 70-200 2.8.
11-07-2008, 01:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jay

thanks for that

I actually asked you this question in one of the FA43 threads as I thought you owned both, then on checking your profile sig I noticed no FA31 which I thought you had LOL... so I deleted the post and started this thread.

I might head down the track of the FA43, as I can alway later get the FA31 even if satisfied with my first choice

Prices in Aus at the moment and the current drop in exchange rate make the FA43 the more favourable after again looking at todays prices.

Neil
11-07-2008, 01:48 AM   #4
TKH
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

You can own both
the 43ltd and 35ltd macro for around the cost of the 31ltd.
Thats the point!

Best,
Rainer

11-07-2008, 01:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Nulla, I have the three limited lens and find that the 31 is bolted to the camera, the 77 is only used for portrait/kids etc and the 43 rarely sees the light of day. Focal length is close between the 31 & 43 that some pre zoom footwork lets the 31 do most jobs. Other frequently used lens are the Sigma 10-20 and Tamron Di 90.

In fact I have to remind myself that I have a perfectly good 43 and should use it more often.

Take Care,

David
11-07-2008, 02:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Rainer

thanks for your kind input

that is a good point I agree, my self control in holding back from buying both FA limiteds in question a couple of months back have cost me due to the current downfall of the Aussie Dollar as I have been purchasing my lenses from the USA.

I have decided that I shall go ahead and get one of the Limiteds and the second one later. I am very keen on the FA limiteds and not into macro so for me the DA35 is not on my want list, though the comparison shown warrants merit

David

thanks for your kind input as well, my mind had been set on the FA31 for some time and as mentioned I am sorry I did not get it a while back... I was trying to control LBA at the time and thought that what I had covered my needs... which it did... but not my desire to have my hands once again on another FA limited.

Some of the current posts in the FA 43 threads are showing wonderful results, then again most have been by Jshermann who in my opinion is one of the finest photographers around these forums in everyday type of shots. (sorry jay if thats term seems offensive.. but no intent on my behalf.. just that most of your shots posted seem to be spontaneous and or home and family shots and brilliant)

Anyway David your post has made me reflect and ponder as some have said the FA31 is the best Pentax lens made

Neil
11-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have both and both are superb. The differences have been highlighted already -- the 43 is smaller and cheaper; the 31 is better wide open. Personally, I prefer the way the 43 renders people when working in a space too tight for the 77. Eventually, you'll likely end up with both and be pleased that you did. Dave
11-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

if you're constantly shooting in low light conditions and corners make a difference, FA31 all the way. the FA43 takes quite a bit of stopping down to be sharp in the corners.

personally, the FA31 of mine is getting less and less use and the FA43 more because of the longer focal length and smaller size.

also check out the FA43 samples in one of the threads floating around in the lens forum.

11-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I have both and both are superb. The differences have been highlighted already -- the 43 is smaller and cheaper; the 31 is better wide open. Personally, I prefer the way the 43 renders people when working in a space too tight for the 77. Eventually, you'll likely end up with both and be pleased that you did. Dave

Thanks Dave

I will most likely end up with both... especially if the Aussie Dollar has a turn around lol Thanks for your comments and mention of preference

QuoteQuote:
if you're constantly shooting in low light conditions and corners make a difference, FA31 all the way. the FA43 takes quite a bit of stopping down to be sharp in the corners.

personally, the FA31 of mine is getting less and less use and the FA43 more because of the longer focal length and smaller size.

also check out the FA43 samples in one of the threads floating around in the lens forum.

Size there is a very good point K100d, and I have taken a look at the samples floating around from the FA43 and agree that they are startling to say the least.

Thanks for your comments

Neil
11-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
Mik

QuoteOriginally posted by davef Quote
I agree with you. I have the 31, 43, and 77 also and also prefer the way the 43 renders people over the 31. The 31 has its uses too as I've gotten some great low-light shots in restaurants with it that wouldn't have been possible with the 43 due to the minimal available working space.

Having all 3 so you can pick the right one for the occasion is the best - it's not like you have to buy them all at once.
11-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
... Seeing that most of my shots taken with my DA 16-50 are at around 16-35 range ...
I guess this would suggest the FA 31 would be best in line with your habits.
Personally, I feel the 31 has a more general use and the 43 a more special use.
When most of your shots are 16-35, the 43 might be too narrow.
11-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again everyone for great advice and input.

Magic forum and community to belong to.

Neil
11-08-2008, 12:42 AM   #13

I own all Limited lenses, DA Limteds an FA Limiteds. Why ? First of all, there is a big difference between both series in their characteristics. The DA Limiteds are trimmed to sharpness (within border an edges) wide open, and less weight / size. Therefor the pictures are a little bit cool. The FA Limiteds are somewhat warmer with more focus on center sharpness and more buttery bokeh.

The difference between FA31 an FA43 ist not only the focal length, its also the reverse bokeh. In Front creamy, in background a little bit harsh ....sometimes......therefore in Germany we call the FA 43 "the priss" :-)

Finally the question is not FA31 oder FA43, its wich to buy first :-)
11-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #14
Site Supporter

When comparing FA limiteds and * zooms, the choice is partly a "feel" thing that may have less to do with logic and pixels and more to do with your mood that day. Not to belittle the differences, but gosh great is great isn't it?
In the OP the question was posed about comparing the limiteds with killer zooms too. Well, every time I want to shelf the 31, 43 and 77 for a few months in favor of the FA*28-70/2.8 zoom, I always break down and find a way to pack the little limiteds into the kit again. And every time I think I can't stand the rotating front element on the zoom, I look at the results again and realize that sometimes I'm locked in situations where I can't zoom by moving forward or back and I need the lens to do the "moving" for me (I'm in the wholesale boat biz, so often shoot in confined situations. And yes, you can laugh at me...wholesale boat biz the past 12 months? I wish...).
Sharpness from the * zooms is strong enough to compete for kit space against the limiteds, but the limiteds have a difficult to define quality that goes beyond just bokeh, contrast, sharpess or color rendition. I know "luminence" almost sounds hokey, but I swear the images from the limited trio have a "glow" about them.
So in the end, all you need is a bunch of limiteds and both current and previous series of * zooms. What the heck, if you can't choose then choose all of the above.
11-09-2008, 12:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Hi Neil. Not sure whether I saw you in safeway petrol station of Forest hill on Friday or not. I did a pause starting into your 4WD. hehe (so quick back from queensland holiday already?)

Without knowing your shooting style, I personally love Fa 43 mm ltd. Just a feeling really.

Fa 31 ltd is superb lens but it renders less colour popping pictures for me... However, I have slowly built up port folio using this lens. I still prefer 43 mm rendering.

Again, I went for an event shoot with Voe today at Federation square. His Da 40mm f2.8 got better colour than all my images. It all has to do with skill I reckon.