Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-07-2020, 01:02 PM   #1

Hi from Cape Town

Hi there, new on the site. Just bought a Takumar f2.8 105 lenses at a swap meet. This one has two black aperture rings on the top. Its been many years since I've worked with these. What was the purpose of having the two rings?
Thx!

09-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by petboy Quote
Hi there, new on the site. Just bought a Takumar f2.8 105 lenses at a swap meet. This one has two black aperture rings on the top. Its been many years since I've worked with these. What was the purpose of having the two rings?
Thx!
I would imagine it is so you can set one ring to the aperture you wish to use for the shot. This does not actually change the aperture. You can then focus the shot and frame using the benefit of wide open aperture, before closing the aperture (with the second ring) to what you require without having to remove your eye from the viewfinder.
09-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thx!
Welcome to the forum!
I'm from Cape Town too.
09-07-2020, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Takumar 105mm F2.8 (model 2) - preset aperture

Welcome!

Is this the lens? Takumar 105mm F2.8 (model 2)

The lens has aperture and preset aperture rings. Here's a good description of how to use a preset aperture, including the Takumar.
Preset Aperture Lenses – How They Work And Why You Need At Least One
Takumar 105mm F2.8 (model 2) Takumar 105mm F2.8 (model 2)

09-07-2020, 09:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Thx!
Hi Petboy, Welcome to the forum. You may find this of interest! Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/Super-Takumar/Takumar 105mm F2.8 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
09-08-2020, 11:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome here. I am from Pretoria myself.

That Takumar is an amazing find. Have fun with it.