Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2020, 05:29 AM   #1
Harbaror

Can anyway help me understanding which lens those are??

Hi,

I am new to this forum and also more or less new to photography.
I just bought a Pentax K1000 and now looking for a lens.
I live in Japan and found a coupe lenses I am interested in. Though I have already received a lot of help from many on this forum about lens, I just cant seem to understand which lens are the ones I am looking at.

So here are the three lenses I am looking at all smc 50mm f1.4 but the look is different and so is the price. Even between two lenses which seems to me to be identical, have a price difference of almost x3.

So, which lens am I actually looking at? And will the fit my K1000 Thank you

???? - SMC TAKUMAR 50mm f/1.4??????????PENTAX ????(???)? (¥11,800) ??????????

and the two identical lenses.

???? - Super Multi Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4 ????(???)? (¥11,800) ??????????

???? - ????????Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 ????(???)? (¥35,880) ??????????

09-08-2020, 05:39 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
your K-1000 has a k-mount

all of the lenses listed are M42 mount and work on that body only if you have the correct adapter...
09-08-2020, 05:42 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just want to be sure you are aware that these lenses do not fit your k1000 without an m42 adapter.

09-08-2020, 05:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
None that you have listed is a direct fit to the K1000. Those are M42 screw mount, not the Bayonet mount, Known as the 'K' mount. You will need a m42 to K adapter to mount to the camera. Go to the lens data base on this site, scroll down to the film era lens section and look under the K, M, and A prime lens sections. All 3 of those sections have lenses that will fit your camera.Then use their Proper name to search online.
Prices vary because of age, coatings, and condition. Good luck.
09-08-2020, 06:13 AM   #6
Harbaror

Thank you for pointing that out. I would have made a mistake.

I’ll look for it now.

About those letters, K M A, what do they actually mean?

Thank you
09-08-2020, 06:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Comprehensive Pentax Lens Guide - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

The forums have a wonderful search feature.

09-08-2020, 06:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The simple version: K series is the first K-mount, The M series was redesigned to generally be smaller and lighter, and the A series introduced automatic aperture control.
09-08-2020, 06:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Harbaror Quote
Thank you for pointing that out. I would have made a mistake.

I’ll look for it now.

About those letters, K M A, what do they actually mean?

Thank you
You can also check here, it is the web site run by the Pentaxforums.com Administrator, Adam. The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Cheers
09-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #10
Harbaror

Thank you very much.

I’ve been to that site and now i understand well.

One thing though, the A lenses, automatic aperture control, will that work on my pentax k1000?
09-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

not in A mode, you must set the aperture manually

this chart shows how various Pentax camera bodies work with different Pentax lens series:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2020 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA".
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts unless they are singled out in the table below. So for compatibility of a DA* lens which is not singled out, look under DA lenses, etc.
Exceptions:
FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.
The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

look at the last line of the chart for the K 1000

QuoteQuote:
Exposure Modes-

M Manual exposure, you set shutter speed and aperture. Camera's exposure meter will indicate when the exposure setting is correct

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The iconic Pentax K1000 was Pentax's classic intro level film SLR, which gained a very high popularity among photography students due to its rugged build and low price.

The original K1000 was basically a KM without depth of field preview and self-timer. The K1000 became very successful and was produced from 1976 to 1997. The top and bottom plates were changed from metal to plastic in the final production run. In 1997, the ZX-M replaced the K1000 as Pentax's intro-level manual offering.

The main variants are the K1000 (black leather, microprism focusing aid) and the later K1000 SE (black or brown leather and with a split image focusing screen or a combination microprism/split image screen).

Read more at: Pentax K1000 - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-08-2020 at 02:52 PM.
09-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #12
Harbaror

Wonderful.
Now it is all very very clear.

I think i will be able to choose the right lens with all this info.

My appreciated
09-08-2020, 03:30 PM   #13
Pentaxian

This one will fit the K1000 without an adapter: ???? - ?????? SMC PENTAX 50mm f1.4 ????(???)? (¥5,880) ??????????

And so will this one: https://www.mercari.com/jp/items/m36747683029/
09-08-2020, 04:39 PM   #14
Harbaror

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
WOW, that is really perfect! Do you live in Japan too?
Anyway, thank you so much.
I can see that one of them is the M 50mm, but the other one doesnt say anything whether it is M A K, I assume it is the K 50mm?!

thank you again.

---------- Post added 09-08-20 at 04:55 PM ----------

this one say smc Pentax M 50mm f1.4 on the title but on the lens the M isnt there. Is this lens a M or a K?
???? - PENTAX SMC PENTAX-M 50mm F1.4 ??????? ????(???)? (¥9,480) ??????????
09-08-2020, 06:24 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Harbaror Quote
WOW, that is really perfect! Do you live in Japan too?
Anyway, thank you so much.
I can see that one of them is the M 50mm, but the other one doesnt say anything whether it is M A K, I assume it is the K 50mm?!

thank you again.

---------- Post added 09-08-20 at 04:55 PM ----------

this one say smc Pentax M 50mm f1.4 on the title but on the lens the M isnt there. Is this lens a M or a K?
???? - PENTAX SMC PENTAX-M 50mm F1.4 ??????? ????(???)? (¥9,480) ??????????
The first K-mount lenses just say "SMC PENTAX". All of the series that followed have a letter designation: -M, -A or whatever. We often call the first series Pentax-K just to specify the first series, but the official name has no letter.

The first-series SMC PENTAX lenses are slightly larger, generally built extremely well and all built in Japan. Usually they sell for more. The Pentax-M lenses are more compact with different coatings and optical formulas. They did some cost-cutting, but very few lenses have failed even 40 years later by themselves. The bad lenses fail by being dropped or some other bad event.

For all the lenses after the M series, you might be paying extra for features that the K1000 can't use. Quality diverges too. The A series has some cheap ordinary lenses and some ultimate quality lenses.