Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2020, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #16

Ricoh Pin fix

I was gifted a Rikenon P 50mm 1.7 lens some years ago and had intended to use it on my Program A - until somebody mentioned the 'dreaded Ricoh pin'. It's not a problem on film cameras, of course, but I did (at that time) consider purchasing a digital camera so I thought the knowledge may come in handy at some point. I had found this article and, bearing in mind that I wasn't the most natural "let's take it apart and see how it works" person, had a go and......it works for me!!...........still haven't bought that digital but the K-new sounds interesting.

theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix

Take care,
Mike

09-14-2020, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Ricoh Pin is a problem for AF Pentax film cameras as well besides the ME-F which is rare enough that I don't think we need to really worry about it.

My Albinar 28mm lens had a Ricoh pin. I removed it by taking the mount flange off of the lens, taking the pin out of the lens body, and putting the flange back on. I feel safe in assuming that this manner of mod works for every single lens with a Ricoh pin. Easy solution.
09-15-2020, 12:40 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
According to a the interwebs CPC (Combined Product Corp.) was a rebadger of Japanese lenses, mainly those made by Cosmicar. This in turn was a subsidiary of Asahi Precision Co. Ltd that made closed circuit television (CCTV) lenses before branching out into camera lenses as well. Kinda ironic that something in effect made by Pentax would later cause trouble with Pentax cameras. The Pentax KAF team really should have noticed this during the design process, but for some reason they didn't and the rest is history.

It looks like an easy mod, but I will need to go and buy a decent screwdriver first. Is that a side effect of GAS?
09-19-2020, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The damage done to the adapter when I applied some gentle force to unmount the lens.

09-19-2020, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The damage done to the adapter when I applied some gentle force to unmount the lens.
Not too bad as it sounds like you will never sell the adapter. From looking I would just say you were lucky that there are nice rounded shoulders in the hole the pin was stuck inside.