Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2020, 03:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

Identifying the mount

Hello everybody

I have just received a Makinon 500 f8. The seller told me it's with a PK mount, so it should fit my K-3ii. However, I couldn't mount it and when compared to my other lenses, it's indeed different. I guess the seller made a mistake. Could you help me identify what is the real mount of this lens please?

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
VOG-L29  Photo 
09-09-2020, 03:59 AM - 2 Likes   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
with the 'NI' printed on the mount, my first guess would be a Nikon F-mount, which is similar to the K-mount bayonet...
09-09-2020, 06:10 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
with the 'NI' printed on the mount, my first guess would be a Nikon F-mount, which is similar to the K-mount bayonet...
Could you please clarify a bit what you mean by similar? Are they exactly the same? Encouraged by this post, I tried again and actually found a way to mount this lens on my K-3ii. It seems to be working, but I would like to be sure that by using this (as you say, Nikon F) lens I would not damage my camera body.
09-09-2020, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

an F-mount lens will fit, but will not turn all the way on the bayonet, maybe a quarter of the expected amount and will not lock on...

09-09-2020, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe 3D-print a plastic PK-flange would do as a fix? Unless it was cheap, return it. There are many alternatives for a 500mm mirror lens...

Seb
09-09-2020, 06:46 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
Maybe 3D-print a plastic PK-flange would do as a fix? Unless it was cheap, return it. There are many alternatives for a 500mm mirror lens...

Seb
Thank you for your contribution. Maybe it could do as a fix, but I did not found such adapter. Maybe it doesn't exist? From what I found out, that is not such an easy task, something to do with the registration distance: Why is there no Nikon-F to K adapter without corrective glass? - PentaxForums.com . I think I paid 55 euros, but I don't see any alternatives for such price at the moment. In any case, if there's a chance I would harm my camera body, I would not like to take the risk with this lens. It's also not very light-weighted, so if it doesn't lock and doesn't turn all the way, maybe this could create potential problems? Though from the first glance, after being mounted, it seems to be working quite fine.
09-09-2020, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #7

To do it "properly" without a corrective lens adapter you should use something like an Adaptist multi-mount. This uses a soft shim to adjust the mount register differences. However since this is a mirror lens there is probably enough "throw" on the focus movement to compensate. Being a fixed aperture lens there are no aperture levers to worry about.

Pentax K+ Multi Mount - Adaptist
Pentax K+ Multi Mount (WR version) - Adaptist

I suppose you could take a K-mount off a cheap teleconverter or extension tubes, adjust for the register difference and replace the mount..

Discussion on the Adaptist mount:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/41035...ion-usage.html

Last edited by Not a Number; 09-09-2020 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Added link
09-09-2020, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiparisas Quote
Thank you for your contribution. Maybe it could do as a fix, but I did not found such adapter. Maybe it doesn't exist? From what I found out, that is not such an easy task, something to do with the registration distance:
No, it does not exist, you would have to unscrew the old Ni-flange, measure it and make a new PK-one 1.4mm shorter. Quite an engineering task.

Seb
09-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
No, it does not exist, you would have to unscrew the old Ni-flange, measure it and make a new PK-one 1.4mm shorter. Quite an engineering task.
You have it backwards. Nikon registration distances are longer than Pentax so if you only swap the mounts you want to ADD length to the mount if you want infinity focus to line up with the lens marker for infinity. If you only swap mounts without adding any distance the lens will focus at infinity and beyond infinity... And the minimum focus distance will be slightly longer than expected.

You can see this by mounting a Nikon lens directly (with the caveats mentioned earlier - the lens will be only partly turned and not locked. ).
09-09-2020, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of time and expense to make a lens work that was sold fraudulently. Return it for a refund and find one that works.
09-09-2020, 10:06 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Lots of time and expense to make a lens work that was sold fraudulently. Return it for a refund and find one that works.
A minor quibble. I don't know that we can assume there original seller fraudulently sold this as this assumes they knew better. I'd expect they were could easily have just been mistaken.
09-09-2020, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
A minor quibble. I don't know that we can assume there original seller fraudulently sold this as this assumes they knew better. I'd expect they were could easily have just been mistaken.
Yes, I agree and believe it's just an honest mistake too. Though it doesn't change the fact that the lens is not a good fit.
09-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #13

Probably a simple mistake. Without aperture levers it is even easier to confuse the two mounts.

Unless you got the lens for next to nothing I would return it for refund. And look for something with a K-mount. In my opinion not worth the time, effort and expense to adapt the mount. I doubt the lens will be a stellar performer - few mirror lens are.
09-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiparisas Quote
Thank you for your contribution. Maybe it could do as a fix, but I did not found such adapter. Maybe it doesn't exist? From what I found out, that is not such an easy task, something to do with the registration distance: Why is there no Nikon-F to K adapter without corrective glass? - PentaxForums.com . I think I paid 55 euros, but I don't see any alternatives for such price at the moment. In any case, if there's a chance I would harm my camera body, I would not like to take the risk with this lens. It's also not very light-weighted, so if it doesn't lock and doesn't turn all the way, maybe this could create potential problems? Though from the first glance, after being mounted, it seems to be working quite fine.
From my searching of the Internet, the 500mm f/8 Makinon lens was made using Minolta's mount {end of article}
Makinon | Legacy Lens
09-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I don't know that we can assume there original seller fraudulently
Fair enough, my use of fraudulent was incorrect. "In Error" might be a better way to phrase. And that is what I meant, that the listing was incorrect not necessarily criminal or deceitful in nature. Many people selling camera gear have no idea what it is they actually have. However, that doesn't change my opinion that fixing the sellers mistake by buying an adapter or otherwise spending more money is not the way to proceed. The lens was sold as something it is not. How that happened is immaterial at this point. Ask the seller for a return and full refund. Don't throw good money after bad. Just my opinion.