Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2021, 09:35 AM   #31

I'm going to give this a go with my lenses which includes a DFA 2.8 Macro100mm that I use mainly for macro. So question is: will it be better to calibrate it in macro mode or leave at 100mm?

07-08-2021, 11:58 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pegasus53 Quote
I'm going to give this a go with my lenses which includes a DFA 2.8 Macro100mm that I use mainly for macro. So question is: will it be better to calibrate it in macro mode or leave at 100mm?
I don't use mine often, but I don't think there is something switchable on it. Macro lenses can be used as a standard lens, with the added benefit of focusing extra close. I'd either do the adjustment as explained and then double check at your regular up close distance, or vice versa. If there's a difference in accuracy, I'd calibrate based on the macro use distances since the DoF is so shallow. Using it at distance gives some margin of error, especially when you stop down.
07-11-2021, 11:01 AM   #33
Pentaxian

It would be better for the body to offer multiple calibrations for focal lengths (on zooms) and distance ranges and different apertures. And it would be much better (and also dramatically easier for Pentax to implement) for the body to allow a reasonable adjustment range. "Reasonable" is defined obviously as at least the amount of adjustment my personal copies of the lenses I happen to own require, not the ridiculously tiny +/- 10 adjustment that the bodies provide. Has this been fixed on any of the newer bodies?

Shouldn't it be possible to have the body calibrate each lens automatically for PDAF using the body's own CDAF capability...?

Last edited by tibbitts; 07-11-2021 at 12:32 PM.
07-12-2021, 05:28 AM   #34
Pentaxian

So question is: will it be better to calibrate it in macro mode or leave at 100mm?
It doesn't "switch" but always remain a 100mm lens. It can simply achieve focus closer.

To answer the idea behind your question, it's better to calibrate your lens in the conditions that you will use it. If you truly only use it for macro, then calibrate for that.

07-12-2021, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
I'd be surprised if this method would change focus confirmation for manual lenses?

It's funny, I was playing around with it just yesterday, annoyed by having to look at the display all the time when shooting. (one thing that made me enjoy film more recently)
Messing around with it seemed to improve the confirmation somewhat but I put that down to placebo/a wide range of what the camera thinks is "in focus" and luck with getting the sharper end of it a few times in a row.
Nearly started a topic but thought better of it last night!
But I may not entirely understand how it works with MF lenses to be honest!
I’ve performed focus confirmation calibration for some of my M series lenses which has improved my results with manual lenses. Firstly, as there is a range where the focus confirmation light will come on, I consistently focus my manual lenses from a setting short of what will be the correct distance out to the distance where the confirmation light comes on. This eliminates the variation that comes from alternating which direction I approach the focus point from. I then fine tune the focus confirmation using the Apply All sub menu, as Apply One only works with chipped lenses (F and later). Apply One (where set for an autofocus lens) I believe overrides the Apply All setting so this method doesn’t upset your autofocus lenses calibrations. I don’t think it matters what method you use for calibration - whatever you are comfortable with/find quickest.

Why do manual focus lenses need focus adjustment? Firstly the relationship between the distance from flange to focus sensor and flange to the imaging sensor needs to very precise (I would presume equal?). Bearing in mind the path to the focus sensor passes thru the main mirror and bounces off a secondary mirror behind that, it’s not hard to see where some camera to camera variation will come from. Presumably some calibration is done in factory, but where the mirror settles on its stops after some use might take a while to become consistent and that in itself influences the distance to the focus sensor. That would be in addition to any manufacturing tolerance variability of which there will always be some. Secondly, aberrations of wide open lenses seem to impact focus confirmation accuracy/reliability (not all colours will be focussed at the same point) so you are also attempting to account for this. And we know most older manual focus lenses have a fair few colour aberrations wide open.

I’ve only check a few of my short tele M lens this way and the same Apply All setting seems close enough for those settings. Once done I was much more successful focussing my M lenses with consistent results at wide apertures.

---------- Post added 13th Jul 2021 at 12:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kinkindoll Quote
My method to do the AF adjustment is setting up a tripod, use liveview to take a picture first, then go back to OVF to take several pics with different AF adjustment, then use LR to compare the sharpness and accurate vs the pics from liveview. All use center point focus.
That’s the way I’ve undertaken focus fine tuning also, but it can be slow to do, needing sometimes to go back to the target and retest and re-review. The dot method allows all the tuning to be done just using the camera and target, and by its nature requires repetitive focussing activity which will tend to average away the little bit of variability between each focus attempt (greatly lowering the sampling noise). That slight inconsistency from focus attempt to focus attempt can sometimes make the ‘take it back to the computer’ approach a bit annoying slow if you only take one or two shots at each adjustment as you may not catch the shot to shot variability on the first attempt.

You won’t notice this variability between focus attempts while shooting the target with a newer lens without a focus scale but if you have an older lens with a distance scale and mark the live view focus point with a pen on masking tape applied to the moving focus ring, the variability between each focus attempt becomes quite apparent.

The dot approach by its nature leads to dozens of focus lock attempts (done quite quickly) and that higher number of samples will improve the signal to noise (statistically speaking) of the testing process and improve confidence in the result. I quite like it’s approach for that reason and will try it out on my DFA 28-105 as I’m currently torn between +3 and +4 for that lens. My testing suggested +4 but in the field I lean towards +3. The dot method is a different approach and I will be interested to see what that suggests is the optimal adjustment. It’s also a very quick way to assess the adjustment at different focal lengths.
07-13-2021, 11:47 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a FA100/f2.8 Macro being delivered this week. I was thinking that I’d dot-tune it at the farther end of the focus range because in macro, I’d be more likely to be fine-tuning the focus manually using live view, which is what YouTube videos on macro tend to suggest works best - is this reasonable?
07-14-2021, 06:20 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I have a FA100/f2.8 Macro being delivered this week. I was thinking that I’d dot-tune it at the farther end of the focus range because in macro, I’d be more likely to be fine-tuning the focus manually using live view, which is what YouTube videos on macro tend to suggest works best - is this reasonable?
If I were heavily into macro, which seems to require a lot of steady work, I think I'd do it that way with live view as well, if for no other reason than not risk bumping the camera looking through the OVF and the ability to zoom the preview to perfect focus. That's with or without calibration. Would be interesting to see what actual macro shooters say.

07-14-2021, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 50-200mm that went from OK to stellar, so now I calibrate every one
07-14-2021, 09:55 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
The dot method allows all the tuning to be done just using the camera and target, and by its nature requires repetitive focussing activity which will tend to average away the little bit of variability between each focus attempt
If you mean the "dot tune" method, it does not require multiple focusing attempts, just one. Using a high contrast target, you autofocus with live view, then switch to view finder, set the focus to manual to disable auto focus and don't touch it. Using the fine adjustment settings, find the range at which the camera thinks focus is acceptable and use the midpoint of that range for your adjustment.

---------- Post added 07-14-21 at 12:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
I’m currently torn between +3 and +4 for that lens. My testing suggested +4 but in the field I lean towards +3.
FWIW, I've never seen a situation where +/- 1 would make a noticeable difference. AKA specious accuracy