Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2020, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

D-FA* 85mm 1.4 youtube review by Andrey Posonskyi

Review is either in Russian or Ukrainian (not sure); seems like a pretty good source of professional-quality samples.

09-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He is form Ukraine, but speaks here in Russian. One of points is that to work with 1.4 there is need to use neutral density filter: shutter speed 1/8000 is not enough to provide proper exposure. Overall he is very happy with this lens.
09-16-2020, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
One of points is that to work with 1.4 there is need to use neutral density filter: shutter speed 1/8000 is not enough to provide proper exposure
He is wrong.
09-16-2020, 10:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
He is wrong.
he is not wrong, in sunny day 1/8000 can be too long exposure if you use f1.4. I can confirm that from practice. Same with all f1.4 or brighter lenses.

09-16-2020, 11:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that what Peter is trying to point out is that shooting at f/1.4 is perfectly possible without a ND filter, just not in bright daylight.

So Andrey is right for one specific situation, but wrong for many others
09-17-2020, 12:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
he is not wrong, in sunny day 1/8000 can be too long exposure if you use f1.4. I can confirm that from practice. Same with all f1.4 or brighter lenses.
Perhaps the translation provided by jumbleview was not entirely correct. The translation as stated, without qualification as to the lighting conditions, is not correct for this lens or any f 1.4 (or even f1.2) lens.
09-17-2020, 06:22 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps the translation provided by jumbleview was not entirely correct. The translation as stated, without qualification as to the lighting conditions, is not correct for this lens or any f 1.4 (or even f1.2) lens.
At 4:47 his explicit words: "I myself is out of shutter speed. One has to go out to shop for a grey density filter". But after that he shows some image made with 1.4 and 1/8000 which is OK. I believe statement is kind of exaggeration to show his admiration of the fact how good the lens is.
09-17-2020, 07:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I think that what Peter is trying to point out is that shooting at f/1.4 is perfectly possible without a ND filter, just not in bright daylight.

So Andrey is right for one specific situation, but wrong for many others
According to Fred:
Ultimate Exposure Computer

EV16, which is about as bright as a person will run into in nature, works out to 1/30000 sec at f/1.4. So yes, if you want to work with f/1.4 on a sunny day at high noon in the Gobi Desert or a Saskatchewan wheat field on Christmas Day, a 2 or more stop ND filter will be a necessity.
At f/1.4 we run out of headroom at EV14 with a 1/8000 second exposure time, so there will be a number of situations where an ND filter will be needed to shoot at f/1.4. Cameras that go down to ISO 25 won't have this problem.

09-17-2020, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just couple more translations. At 5:40. "Do not tell me that the same picture you can get with 70-200. You cannot... You have to use grey density filter, if you would like work with open aperture. Otherwise you will be out of shutter speed (1/8000). Of course if you want to work with open aperture. But why buy high-aperture portrait lens and work with close aperture. What the sens? Here you can isolate your subject by using short DOF which lens can provide."
And the last one at 6:40. "Here is little girl story shot on fresh air (Not everybody shoot in studio) ...Images made with new Pentax 85mm lens with wide opened apertures. Lens converts image to the art by allowing you to concentrate on the subject and catch emotions... Auto focus is fast enough even with children as a subject".
09-17-2020, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fast lenses are primarily made to make it possible/practical to shoot in low light. Portraits at 1.4 are rarely successful as only the eyes are in focus (but you can always stop it down). I don't know a single professional portrait photographer who use an 85/1.4 lens. Great for concert and other events though, and general low light photography. Ultra thin DOF in blazing sunlight is a rare style of photography....
09-17-2020, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Just couple more translations. At 5:40. "Do not tell me that the same picture you can get with 70-200. You cannot... You have to use grey density filter, if you would like work with open aperture. Otherwise you will be out of shutter speed (1/8000). Of course if you want to work with open aperture. But why buy high-aperture portrait lens and work with close aperture. What the sens? Here you can isolate your subject by using short DOF which lens can provide."
Thank you for your translation. But his comments make no sense.

The 70-200 is a f2.8 lens. 2 stops slower. Sure you can get the same image (exposure) if you stop down the 85mm to f2.8. The 70-200 cannot go faster than 2.8 so what is the point in comparing them wide open ?

In very bright light, such as his image of the girl in the yellow dress (reflected light), he is correct that he cannot get an exposure using 1/8000 and f1.4 (unless he uses a camera with a lower ISO setting than 100 or a ND filter.

But that observation is true for every f1.4 lens ever produced, why does he mention it in a review of this particular lens ?

---------- Post added 09-17-20 at 08:43 PM ----------

Here is an image taken with the D-FA 85mm 1.4 at 1.4 and 1/350. No ND filter needed

09-17-2020, 02:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But that observation is true for every f1.4 lens ever produced, why does he mention it in a review of this particular lens ?
Exactly. Using it as a criticism of this particular lens strikes me as a little disingenuous.
09-17-2020, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Exactly. Using it as a criticism of this particular lens strikes me as a little disingenuous.
He does not use it as a criticism. At least it does not sound like that in the original language. It more like telling that if you would like to take best out of sporty car you better to use premium gas. The same here: if you have high quality wide aperture lens and would like to use it at extremity you may need to have a filter. And in this review he mostly compare it to 70-200 2.8. He believes that his viewers are familiar with 70-200 and the new one may require special attention: like having the filter. But eventually it will reward you with exceptional images.
09-19-2020, 08:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
According to Fred:
Ultimate Exposure Computer

EV16, which is about as bright as a person will run into in nature, works out to 1/30000 sec at f/1.4. So yes, if you want to work with f/1.4 on a sunny day at high noon in the Gobi Desert or a Saskatchewan wheat field on Christmas Day, a 2 or more stop ND filter will be a necessity.
At f/1.4 we run out of headroom at EV14 with a 1/8000 second exposure time, so there will be a number of situations where an ND filter will be needed to shoot at f/1.4. Cameras that go down to ISO 25 won't have this problem.
I had the same problem recently with my MX, ISO 200 film and M1.7/50@f/1.7 and no ND filter at hand. In addition the MX‘ shortest exposure time is 1/1000s!
09-19-2020, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Thank you for your translation. But his comments make no sense.

Some people make these discoveries later in life than others do.