Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Which lens would be best?

Next weekend they are having a street painting show in Panama City Beach Fl. at the new Pier Park and I was wondering which lens would be best for this type of shooting. Would the Tamron SP 17-50 f2.8 LD Di be the best or a longer zoom? Or maybe the DA 40mm limited. I may take all 3 of my cameras
The Guest Artist is Tracy Lee Stum ( tracy lee stum | FINE ART : Street Painting Chalk Art ) among other Pros and Amateur artist.

Thanks
Jack

11-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Forum Member

I'd say it depends on your personal style and how crowded it is (i.e. how close can you actually get?). One of the lenses you mentioned is a pancake so you can easily take it in addition to whatever else you take...really, I'd lean the same way and take it all.
11-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Jack, for that kind - literally - of street photography there is no substitute for being as near to the action as possible. So your 17-50 would be fine. Iwould use something even wider and surely not a tele.

Ben
11-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
17-50mm is hard to beat as much as I prefer to use fixed focals.

11-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Zoom !

For street shooting, I like the 40mm pancake - as long as the street is empty.

For fairs, markets, etc., I prefer my 17-70mm. I can get a bit of telephoto when I need it, but usually have to use the shorter lengths.

If you have to stand back from the scene to get it all, someone will inevitably walk in front of you, then stand and admire the art/crafts/vegetables/whatever.

Pack the pancake for good measure but I'll bet the 17-50mm will get the vast majority of the shots.

Let us know!