Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PK lenses by Tomioka

Hi!

I am curious to know which PK mount lenses were made by Tomioka. The original Rikenon XR 50mm F/2.0 is supposed to be a Tomioka lens. Are there more (Rikenon) PK lenses manufacted by Tomioka? Does anybody have any insight on this topic?

Marcel

09-26-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only one I ever saw was an M42 mount, superfast f1.2 lens (55mm I think) , one huge piece of glass. Sorry, that's the best I can offer
09-26-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm only aware of M42 lenses by Tomioka....
09-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was curious so I checked and that lens (55mm f/1.2) is for sale at $1,000 plus................. For an M42? Is it that good?

09-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
... Is it that good? ...
No, absolutely not I am not looking for a new standard lens, let alone one that costs a small fortune.

My curiosity was fuelled when I came across this page: Poor-man’s Summicron
09-26-2020, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Auto Chinon, Auto Yashinon, Auto Mamiya Sekor and Auto Pentacon (?) 55mm f1.7 are supposed to be Tomiokas. They are renowned for their sharpness and are cheap, I have the Yashinon, its lovely
09-26-2020, 01:00 PM - 3 Likes   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrclSchprs Quote
No, absolutely not I am not looking for a new standard lens, let alone one that costs a small fortune.

the title of that 'story' seems to be typical blog click bait...

I read it and I'll save everyone else the trouble - the key sentence is the following:

"Is this lens the poor man's Summicron? I don't know."

the lens may have been manufactured by Tomioka, but does not appear to have designed by them...

09-26-2020, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I read it and I'll save everyone else the trouble - the key sentence is the following:
Thank you - life's too short!

09-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was curious so I checked and that lens (55mm f/1.2) is for sale at $1,000 plus................. For an M42? Is it that good?
I only saw this lens once and it was at a garage sale of all places. It also had a chuck of glass out of the back so I didn't get it. That said, it is a solid piece of glass. I would say 'no' for $1000 and *maybe* yes at around $300, IMHO
09-27-2020, 08:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guess I was just shocked at the asking price since you can get a Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2 for significantly less than what these seem to be listed at. But of course that is list price, not sold.
10-08-2020, 12:44 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

I have the Revuenon 55/1.2 which is the same lens as the Cosina and Tomioka.
Really very nice imo.
Different from the Pentax 50/1.2 in the bokeh with the Pentax being more consistent and controlled, but the Tomioka holding itself in its own interesting way.
Better than the like of the Canon FD55/1.2 for sure (for the bokeh)

The M42 is probably more expensive because it can be used across many camera mounts, though that has really become a moot point with MILC being able to adapt most mounts with a cheap adapter.

11-02-2020, 09:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrclSchprs Quote

Ricoh did appear to source their lenses from a variety of manufacturers but kudos for the link, some good disassembly tutorial there!
11-03-2020, 04:33 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I have the Revuenon 55/1.2 which is the same lens as the Cosina and Tomioka.
Really very nice imo.
Different from the Pentax 50/1.2 in the bokeh with the Pentax being more consistent and controlled, but the Tomioka holding itself in its own interesting way.
Better than the like of the Canon FD55/1.2 for sure (for the bokeh)

The M42 is probably more expensive because it can be used across many camera mounts, though that has really become a moot point with MILC being able to adapt most mounts with a cheap adapter.

These are stunning. My fastest lens is f1.7, I can't afford faster, especially since the arrival of mirror less, although, to be honest, there are some exceptional 50/55mm f1.7-f2 lenses out there, and also in my camera box! In fact, I am off to get one right now
11-03-2020, 10:53 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
These are stunning. My fastest lens is f1.7, I can't afford faster, especially since the arrival of mirror less, although, to be honest, there are some exceptional 50/55mm f1.7-f2 lenses out there, and also in my camera box! In fact, I am off to get one right now
I've seen Rikenon 50 1.4 lenses going for pretty reasonable prices.

I have had the XR and P models. The XR is very soft and glowy wide open, but in an artistic way. From f2 on it's ok, from f4 on it's as sharp as most 50mm lenses. The bokeh is always fantastic. The XR has been sold also as an Auto Sears 50 1.4.

The Rikenon P is more expensive in the used market usually, and it's because it's optically much better, except for the bokeh, which while still good, is not quite as good as the XR model. Sharp wide open, and only gets sharper as you close down. Very good micro contrast, just a stellar lens.
11-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I'm only aware of M42 lenses by Tomioka....
That is my understanding as well, at least as far as Rikenon is concerned. Tomioka is reputed to have made lens that were sold under several different names in M42 and other mounts, even some where the attribution is unlikely.

Earlier today, on another thread, the possibility of the XR Rikenon 55/1.2 being Tomioka product based on physical similarity to the Revuenon 55/1.2. I own a couple copies of the XR Rikenon 50/2.0 and have researched that lens fairly fully, but don't remember any mention of Tomioka.

Steve