Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2007, 09:00 AM   #1

Ricoh XR Rikenon APO F4.5 300mm

Got this lens yesterday so took it for a spin...

small picture of it and some specs here
The Unofficial Guide to Ricoh SLR Cameras and Rikenon Lenses

the lens is nicely built, has a very smooth focus ring, but the "protruding" parts of the lens are too long to mount it into my K100D... I think I will need to saw 1-2mmm off if I want to use it as a 300mm lens on it's own.

However coupled with a 2x TC it works perfectly as a f9 600mm lens. I have three K mount TC's, and the usually "the best" Vivitar 2x Macro TC did not do very well with this lens, but luckily another one non brand - "SFE Auto" TC did very well, in my opinion of course

So here are some shots from today... I tried to get the best what I can out of the lens and the TC without PP:

all shots are jpeg only, straight from the camera, only resized by photobucket to 1024*768 no PP.

XR Rikenon APO 300mm and 2xTC for 600mm effective FL.

AS - on,
image tone natural
sharpness +1
everything else default.

ISO 800, I think around 1/1000, f8 (equivalent of f16 with TC)

the rest is ISO 400 1/500, f8

and a 100% crop of the last one - you can see purple fringing despite of using f8, but it might be the TC, in any case sharpness is good, with a little +1 help of in camera setting.

and I shot I took yesterday, but forgot the settings, it was the same TC, no PP.

It seems that I will be very happy with this lens ... but now I wonder how it does on it's own without the TC for closer subjects... hmmm... in any case with this TC it is much better than the reflex f8 600mm Sigma.

03-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #2

Original Poster
***update***

Well I thought an update is in order, not to do disservice to this fine lens.

I was indeed wrong in the orignal assesment, that I cannot mount this lens on K100D. The lens can be mounted as any other, it is only my own paranoia of Ricoh "stuck lens" problem that I did not want to push a bit harder with it, which was just alignment issue, and once I have done it, the lens can come on and off perfectly well, just like any Pentax K lens.

So to post two new pictures to do this lens a bit more justice comparing to before (even though I think it still performs rather well with a 2x TC too, considering the expected degradation )

so here is a 100% crop of a Chaffinch at 300mm first at f4.5! with one pass of extra sharpening and some fill light applied in Picasa only

Picasa Web Albums - Druga Runda - 2007-03-17

and the original image without any sharpening, or light fill - click on the link below the image to see full size

Picasa Web Albums - Druga Runda - 2007-03-17
03-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a ricoh 35-70 and it is as sharp as any lenses I own.
for your information, ricoh has the same mount as the pentax line... they licensed the mount from pentax.
so a ricoh has the same chance of getting stuck as a pentax lens....

I really like how the last ones turned out as far as exposure goes.

BTW, with the prices of pentax lenses rising, the ricoh high quality lens are a sleeper when it come to price vs. performance

randy
03-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Wow, very nice. Thanks for the post - and the pics.

- Andrew

03-23-2007, 06:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I have a ricoh 35-70 and it is as sharp as any lenses I own.
for your information, ricoh has the same mount as the pentax line... they licensed the mount from pentax.
so a ricoh has the same chance of getting stuck as a pentax lens....

I really like how the last ones turned out as far as exposure goes.

BTW, with the prices of pentax lenses rising, the ricoh high quality lens are a sleeper when it come to price vs. performance

randy
yes the same mount is the idea, but I think that post "auto aperture" Rich lenses can have "stuck on pentax DSLR" problems, as I have read a few threads on Dpreview... conveniently this lens has no "auto" features and works like any Pentax lens

and thanks for the nice comments

btw I got this one for 50 few weeks ago...
Do I need to say that I felt very lucky when I got it, and even more so when I saw non-TC results
03-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
Wow, very nice. Thanks for the post - and the pics.

- Andrew
thanks for comment , this little chaffinch was not bothered with me taking a few snaps, he was more into the crisps on the ground, until a crow scared him, but I missed that one
09-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Zombie thread! I just picked one of these up and thought I would restart this thread rather than a new one. What a gorgeous lens! Mine came in the box looking like it had never been used. Solid but not too heavy. Long but well balanced. Smooth internal focus. For best results I will have to take advantage of the tripod collar, but here are a few first day shots:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
09-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Nick...Very nice, very nice indeed. Looks like you have a winner there!

Steve

09-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Forum Member

Nick, was that the one that was listed on shopgoodwill last week? If it was it looks like a very good buy. Good luck with it.

Rick
09-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Rick, it was indeed. Those goodwill auctions always carry a significant risk of getting total junk with no recourse, but I was very happy to find this one in excellent condition. Sorry if I outbid you!

Steve, thanks. We'll see if I can get some good shots on a tripod, maybe next week.
09-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
looking forward to more info

Looking forward to more info about the image quality and your evaluation. It is in the same range as the F* 300mm f4.5. While I am sure it is not in the same league (1/5 of the price), I am curious whether it has a higher IQ than DA 55-300mm at the 300mm side. Thanks.
09-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Well, I don't have much yet. A trip to my favorite goose-watching pond yielded no geese present, marsh weeds too tall for my tripod, and only a few bad hand-held back-lit pictures of some ugly ducks. Mostly my shots with the lens thus far have been bedeviled by missed focus, insufficient DOF, or motion blur. All operator error. :-P

Handling the lens is great. Sharpness seems a little soft and glowy at f/4.5, but I haven't had enough successes to be sure. I don't have a DA 55-300, but the Rikenon's performance is far better than a Tamron 300 f/5.6 I used to have, and better than the FA-J 75-300 at 300mm. (I like the FA-J a lot, but it is best under 260-280). An FA* it is not, alas. :-)

Here's a visitor to our yard, shot through a dirty window. I took a lot of shots, this was really the only good one. So there's a learning curve.

09-30-2010, 03:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
learning process

Good to see some photos and the brief report. It may take time to get used to the lens. Looks pretty promising so far.

It is hard not only to find a good lens as this focal length, but also to use one effectively. That is perhaps why they are both rare and expensive.