Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My lineup...no LBA for me.

So with all this talk of LBA and PMA, DA*, and other acronyms ending in "A" I thought I'd share my little lens lineup.

I'm picking up my k10d on Friday with a third party m42 adapter...and a genuine pentax adapter on order. The Katz Eye screen is in production, I have already got extra batteries and am picking up my 4 gig SD card tomorrow.

I switched over from a Minolta 7D and I'm really hoping the transition goes smoothly, and I'm not left wanting. I sold some amazing glass...a 35/1.4, 100/2 and 200/2.8 which are some of the best in their classes. I hope these Takumars will put up a good fight.

M42-4-EVR!!

300/4 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar
85/1.9 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar
50/1.4 SMC Takumar
35/2 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar
17/4 Fisheye Takumar

03-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great to see a Takumar fan around!

I have three of those lenses, and I can especially recommend the 85mm. IMO it's one of the best focal lengths on film, and also not too bad on digital.

I recently used it with my Super A, and I got better sunset photos than with the 77mm limited on my K10D

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Haha LBA..especially M42 LBA never looked so good!

Didn't they say 42 was the answer to all things?
03-07-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Ha ha, you're fooling yourself. With a beauty lens lineup like that, you'll want more.

I have all of those lenses, not all in the exact series though. The 17 FE is almost always in the bag, as is the 85/1.9. I think the 85/1.9 stands up to the best out there, even the much-touted 77 (as Adam hinted). Two of my personal favorite Takumars are the 135/2.5 and 28/3.5, both giving similarly excellent results.

The SMC Tak 50 is better than any Minolta 50 that I've tried, all things considered. The 35/2 isn't going to come close to replacing your Minolta 35/1.4 IMO, neither is there a good Pentax equivalent for the 100/2. You do have an option with Porst/Soligor though, I even saw a Soligor 135/1.5 recently.

(PS - My equipment page is here.)

03-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've got serious M42 LBA -- so little money for such fantastic glass!

So easy to spend just another $30 on another lens...

...and another...

...and another...

03-07-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Ha ha, you're fooling yourself. With a beauty lens lineup like that, you'll want more.
I don't know Sean...I spent the last 18 months buying and selling to get that minolta lineup. I tried a LOT of different lengths, and I knows what I likes :P

I have all of those lenses, not all in the exact series though. The 17 FE is almost always in the bag, as is the 85/1.9. I think the 85/1.9 stands up to the best out there, even the much-touted 77 (as Adam hinted). Two of my personal favorite Takumars are the 135/2.5 and 28/3.5, both giving similarly excellent results.
Great to know the 85 should hold its own. That is my 'replacement' for the 100/2...fast, long portrait lens. The extra 15mm isn't what interested me with that lens so much as the wonderful IQ. The 17mm looks very nice...I'm a little concerned with flare (it isn't the SMC version) but I think it will do nicely.

The SMC Tak 50 is better than any Minolta 50 that I've tried, all things considered. The 35/2 isn't going to come close to replacing your Minolta 35/1.4 IMO, neither is there a good Pentax equivalent for the 100/2. You do have an option with Porst/Soligor though, I even saw a Soligor 135/1.5 recently.
I love the 50mm. It's been in my family for 30 years (as has the 300mm). I'm going to miss the 35/1.4 very much I have no doubt...the best wide angle bokeh I've ever seen. But I figure between the 50/1.4 and the 85/1.9 I will have my bokeh shots covered. My hope is that the 35/2 will be okay for a normal lens...sharp, relatively bright. It does seem to vignette a fair bit, but my glass had yellowed and I hadn't UV exposed it yet so I'll have to see if there is any difference now.

I'm not big in the length between 100 and 300....I've tried the minolta 135/2.8 and 200/2.8 and I never felt right with either, despite their amazing quality. At least with the m42's it's relatively easy to find good deals. I almost entered a bidding war on a 120/2.8 SMC Tak but decided I'd use my 85 for a while first.

(PS - My equipment page is here.)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=carpents;33883]Sean your shots on Pbase helped my figure out this lineup...much thanks for posting the equipment shots and great samples! Also thanks again for the help on the exposure comparisons between the 7D and K10D.
03-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote

Didn't they say 42 was the answer to all things?
Yes, the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything has been staring us in the face for all this time!!!!!!!!!
03-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That is one nice line up you've got there. I like how you can see the coatings on the lenses. Can't wait to see the pictures coming off of these glass.

03-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
I don't know Sean...I spent the last 18 months buying and selling to get that minolta lineup. I tried a LOT of different lengths, and I knows what I likes :P
Yeah, but you're no longer a Minoltan - you're a Pentaxian! We accumulate, not optimize!

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Sean your shots on Pbase helped my figure out this lineup...much thanks for posting the equipment shots and great samples! Also thanks again for the help on the exposure comparisons between the 7D and K10D.
You're completely welcome.

As payment, if you ever switch systems again I get dibs on those lenses!!

Any pictures yet?