Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Three lenses I hope Ricoh Pentax would make

Hello all,
I hope everyone is staying safe during these challenging times. I think one of Pentax's strong suits has always been that they have made compact high quality lenses like the DA and FA series lenses. Pentax was also making more compact (then the competition) APS-C bodies. It would probably be good for Pentax to make more compact Full Frame bodies as well. I have noticed that it seems like at the moment Pentax does not want to replace the FA lenses with newer HD D-FA (WR) versions of the current models. Instead they want to make new focal lengths then what currently exists like the D-FA 21 mm lens that is in development. There are 3 lenses that I hope Pentax would be willing to make. They are the HD DFA 20-35 mm F4 WR ( with or without SR), the HD FA 58 mm F1.7 WR, and the HD FA 80 mm F1.7 WR. They should have the DC, PLM, or compact ring motors in them. The new lenses are excellent optically D FA* 50 mm F 1.4 and the D FA* 85 mm F 1.4 but are massive and heavy. The HD D FA 15-30 mm F2.8 and HD D FA 24-70 mm F2.8 are good but also large and heavy. These new lenses could be less than half the weight and more compact then their F1.4 and F2.8 counterparts. Having lighter lenses that are also excellent optically would encourage new people as well as some existing Pentax owners to buy new lenses that are easier to take with and/or travel with you. Does anybody else like these focal length choices or do they have other focal lengths in primes or compact zooms that they would like to see made? What are your thoughts?

10-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Vantage-Point Quote
Hello all,
I hope everyone is staying safe during these challenging times. I think one of Pentax's strong suits has always been that they have made compact high quality lenses like the DA and FA series lenses. Pentax was also making more compact (then the competition) APS-C bodies. It would probably be good for Pentax to make more compact Full Frame bodies as well. I have noticed that it seems like at the moment Pentax does not want to replace the FA lenses with newer HD D-FA (WR) versions of the current models. Instead they want to make new focal lengths then what currently exists like the D-FA 21 mm lens that is in development. There are 3 lenses that I hope Pentax would be willing to make. They are the HD DFA 20-35 mm F4 WR ( with or without SR), the HD FA 58 mm F1.7 WR, and the HD FA 80 mm F1.7 WR. They should have the DC, PLM, or compact ring motors in them. The new lenses are excellent optically D FA* 50 mm F 1.4 and the D FA* 85 mm F 1.4 but are massive and heavy. The HD D FA 15-30 mm F2.8 and HD D FA 24-70 mm F2.8 are good but also large and heavy. These new lenses could be less than half the weight and more compact then their F1.4 and F2.8 counterparts. Having lighter lenses that are also excellent optically would encourage new people as well as some existing Pentax owners to buy new lenses that are easier to take with and/or travel with you. Does anybody else like these focal length choices or do they have other focal lengths in primes or compact zooms that they would like to see made? What are your thoughts?
I like the compact Limiteds also, I have the DA 20-40 so I really understand the DFA 20-35 zoom. I'm not knocking your suggestions of 58, and 80, but what are your reasons for these focal lengths besides that they are different? I guess any focal length can make sense for your own needs, having unusual focal lengths could be an attraction if they are outstanding lenses that can fill a need for the user.
10-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the 20-35 f/4 is a great idea. A 58mm is interesting, but just an odd focal length for me.

And 80mm f/1.7? I doubt that would be significantly different in weight / size from the DFA*85mm. A little of course but it's just too close to an already existing lens.
10-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I choose those focal lengths because it seems that Pentax does not want to replace the current focal lengths of the FA limited. Pentax needs lighter weight and smaller sized WR lenses that are spaced out over different focal lengths. Pentax usually has a lens that is somewhere in the 50 mm focal length and the 80 mm is close enough to 85mm f1.4 lens to be a potential alternative and still be a more compact choice. The new 85 mm F1.4 is almost 3 pounds by itself before you add a body (FF or APS-C) to it. There should be a modern lighter weight choice for that focal length.

---------- Post added 10-04-20 at 02:14 PM ----------

There were two compact 80 mm f1.8 lenses done by Carl Zeiss pancolar 80 mm f1.8 and Sankyo Koki Komura 80 mm F1.8 .

---------- Post added 10-04-20 at 02:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think the 20-35 f/4 is a great idea. A 58mm is interesting, but just an odd focal length for me.

And 80mm f/1.7? I doubt that would be significantly different in weight / size from the DFA*85mm. A little of course but it's just too close to an already existing lens.
A FA 77 mm F1.8 at first is a odd choice at first but a lot Pentaxians (me too) really like that lens.
A 58mm is interesting, but just an odd focal length for me.

Last edited by Vantage-Point; 10-04-2020 at 11:21 AM.
10-04-2020, 11:25 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I concur, even though I currently shoot with and like several 58mm lenses f/2 and faster. A compact 50/1.7 would be an easier sell. A less imposing 80 or 85mm at f/1.7 or f/2.,0 is not a bad idea, but finding the sweet spot of market, price, and design goals might prove difficult.* There is also the matter of the fairly affordable FA 77/1.8 Limited.

Steve

* Existing Canon, Nikon, and quality third-party options are priced from the mid-$400 range and up and I would expect a Pentax equivalent to be in the mid-$500 range or higher if offered.
10-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax already has several 50 mm length lenses including the DA *55 mm f1.4 lens. 58 mm is a slightly different focal length 50 mm lens

---------- Post added 10-04-20 at 03:01 PM ----------

What choices would the folks here want to see as focal lengths Pentax should make as compact lens choices that could also be used for photography and video?

Last edited by Vantage-Point; 10-04-2020 at 12:03 PM.
10-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For me the big hole is a compact FF UWA lens and so yes I like the idea of a 20-35 f4. That said maybe the DFA 21 will satisfy that hole for me - we will have to wait until they tell us more! As you mentioned, refreshed FF limiteds would be great - although I'm pretty happy with the current ones if I'm honest. As for the other lenses, I'm not sure if they are something I would need personally.

10-04-2020, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

just one - smallish DA 24/1,4 WR PLM
10-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'd go with a smallish 20-35 WR.

With the 21 coming, and my older sigma 24 macro and Rokinon 14 2.8 to go with my 28-105 I really am pretty much set for lenses, but a 20-35, would avoid all those lens changes.

Last edited by normhead; 10-04-2020 at 02:26 PM.
10-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vantage-Point Quote
They are the HD DFA 20-35 mm F4 WR ( with or without SR),
I heartily agree with this- the FA was a very good lens. A smaller, less expensive alternative to the DFA 15-30mm is needed for a WA FF zoom lens. It would also complement the upcoming DFA 21mm prime lens. Instead, for APS-C Pentax has gutted the less expensive alternative to the DA* 11-18mm f/2.8, which was the DA 12-24mm f/4 and without any replacement in sight!! I don't get what "with or without SR" means.

As to 58mm f/1.7- the old "F" 50mm f/1.7 was excellent glass, and could simply be reissued to include HD and WR and a DC motor.

As to an 80mm f/1.7- the FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited is small, light, very well designed and built. A real marvel of engineering, a great lens. The 77mm focal length is really a tribute to precision and honesty, in that many 80 or even 85mm f/1.8 lenses on the market actually have been tested to be below 80mm. That Limited lens tested as right on the money accurate. Perhaps upgrading with HD and WR might be a good idea.

As to APS-C, I think the old and flawed DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 could be discontinued, and Ricoh Pentax might successfully strike a deal with Sigma to rebadge a Pentax HD WR edition of their very fine EX DC HSM 17-50mm f/2.8 and 10-20mm f/3.5 for Pentax to fill these needs in their lineup.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-05-2020 at 05:38 PM.
10-04-2020, 02:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I heartily agree with this- the FA was a very good lens. A smaller, less expensive alternative to the DFA 15-30mm is needed for a WA FF zoom lens. It would also complement the upcoming DFA 21mm prime lens. Instead, for APS-C Pentax has gutted the less expensive alternative to the DA* 11-18mm f/2.8, which was the DA 12-24mm f/4 and without any replacement in sight!! i don't get what "with or without SR" means.

As to 58mm f/1.7- the old "F" 50mm f/1.7 was excellent glass, and could simply be reissued to include HD and WR and a DC motor.

As to an 80mm f/1.7- the FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited is small, light, very well designed and built. A real marvel of engineering, a great lens. The 77mm focal length is really a tribute to precision and honesty, in that many 80 or even 85mm f/1.8 lenses on the market actually have been tested to be below 80mm. That Limited lens tested as right on the money accurate. Perhaps upgrading with HD and WR might be a good idea.

As to APS-C, I think the old and flawed DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 could be discontinued, and Ricoh Pentax might successfully strike a deal with Sigma to rebadge a Pentax HD WR edition of their very fine EX DC HSM 17-50mm f/2.8 and 10-20mm f/3.5 for Pentax to fill these needs in their lineup.
A DA*16-50 PLM is already on the road map.
My DA* 55 1.4 is an excellent lens as well.
10-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Nearly everyone would welcome a compact wide angle zoom. I would actually prefer something a bit wider — 18mm to 35mm — and possibly a bit slower to keep it compact and relatively inexpensive (like the DFA 28-105). I really don't see a pressing need for a 58mm or 80mm lens. Pentax has very limited resources, and they can't afford to be over duplicating focal lengths. We already to DFA 50mm lenses (the 1.4 and the macro) and some APS-C fifties that are usable on FF, and we also the FA 77 1.8, which is a delightfully compact lens. If they're going to make more primes than exist on the roadmap they need fill gaps, like the gap between 100mm and 200mm. I say that as someone who has absolutely zero interest in such a lens. I'm just looking at this thing objectively. The only FF lenses I'm interested in is the 70-300 on the roadmap and I'd love to see a fisheye zoom (which was on earlier roadmaps, but then taken off — I actually don't expect Pentax to ever make such a lens).
10-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I would love to see a 28mm f2.8 again with modern coatings and glass. I love the FOV of 28mm on APS-C and that will probably be me next lens to replace the 35mm f2.4 which I find too narrow.
10-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

As Norm pointed out they are replacing the 16-50, and it's also close to the excellent DA 20-40 Limited (which once I got I never used the Sigma 17-50 again and sold it). And 10-20 is very close to the 11-18, and there's also the 10-17 fisheye. I kind of doubt seeing any re-badged Sigmas, since they have recently worked with Tamron, but who knows?

---------- Post added 10-04-20 at 06:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I would love to see a 28mm f2.8 again with modern coatings and glass. I love the FOV of 28mm on APS-C and that will probably be me next lens to replace the 35mm f2.4 which I find too narrow.
That large aperture wide-angle single focus lens on the roadmap could be that, but it looks as though it will be an updated 31 to me.
10-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i don't get what "with or without SR" means.
SR stands for shake reduction or optical image stabilization in the lens.