Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2020, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #31
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
1. DA 35/2.4 “Plastic Fantastic” - still have it, but on loan. I will sell it when I get it back. Nothing wrong with it, sharp, but I much prefer using the HD DA 20-40 f2.8-4 Ltd despite the slower aperture.
2. DA 50/1.8 - sharp lens, but I didn't use it a lot. Gave it to a friend. Also gave away an A 50 f1.7. Don't use 50mm a lot on APS-C and have that territory covered anyway with zooms and FA 43 Ltd.
3. DA 18-135 WR - This was my most-used lens for some years, and has produced some of my favourite images. Still handy as a one-lens travel/walking option, but like @Ramseybuckeye for me it has been supplanted by the 20-40 and 55-300 PLM combination on walks (together with the 15 Ltd). Tempted to replace it with the 16-85 on sale but I don't think the changeover is worth the trouble for the use it would get. (But I change my mind every month about this.) I would often recommend the 18-135 to a new user with a limited budget, especially as part of a bundle with a K-70.
4. DA 50-200 - never owned.
5. DA 55-300 WR - I had the DA-L version. Gave it away after I got the PLM. The screwdriven versions are good budget options if the PLM is out of range or if your camera doesn't support KAF4, but I'd recommend the PLM every time otherwise.
6. FA 50/1.4 - never owned.
7. DA* 16-50/2.8 - never owned.
8. Tamron 17-50/2.8 Di - never owned.
9. Sigma 80-200/2.8 - never owned.
10. DFA 100/2.8 WR - Own it and love it. A wonderful lens. Maybe people sell it because they find they don't do much macro and don't find a lot of other use for a 100mm prime.

Last edited by Des; 10-06-2020 at 12:21 AM.
10-06-2020, 01:15 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
#1 Bought as a cheap entry into Prime lenses,but because of the areas I travel I prefer not to be switching too frequently.Very rarely used it so sold on for small loss

#3 Bought as an upgrade to kit lens.Sold when I upgraded to 16-85

#4 Sold when I bought a Bigma.

#5 Replaced with PLM when I bought my KP specifically for quick,quiet focusing.
10-06-2020, 03:41 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I have observed the fact that many become less than happy with what they have selected, and wind up buying and selling quite often. The good thing that comes of this are threefold- eventually they find out what or how to better use that which finally satisfied them (hopefully), the industry is well-served for sales, and the used market bulges with some fine and very useful lenses for those less financially able.

I have accumulated a few lesser lenses and now have replacements better suited for my needs, so I do need to clean house.

I wonder, since you have got rid of some pretty good lenses, including two all-around fast zoom lenses good for low light use, and are now trying to get rid of an all-around zoom lens which is a fine performer with a very useful zoom range, what have you, or do you intend, as their replacements? I know of some people who wind up shooting with high-quality prime lenses as their only interest.

I agree regarding the old FA 50 f/1.4 to point, as it sits because I will preferably by a long shot turn to my FA 77mm or DA 70mm Limiteds, or my "F" 50mm f/1.7. However, I got mine way back shortly after the first Pentax DSLR came out, for less than $200 new! I could not resist, even though having my oldest "M" 50mm f/1.4 for many years. I hang onto it because it remains my only AF lens capable of f/1.4 at all, and I have found it really is capable of very fine rendering and with fine bokeh.

Although having and often using both the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM and the Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited, depending on my needs, I still sometimes turn to my still highly-valued DA 18-135mm for its quality imaging combined with its instantly-available zoom range, reducing the need for lens-changing, and I can even grab a very good-quality closeup with yet surprisingly good bokeh!
Just a note: I did not say that I personally owned all of the ten lenses in my list. Never had the DA 50/1.8 (I have nearly twenty 50-58mm lenses In my camera collection) or Sigma 70-200/2.8. The 50-200 was purchased along with a 16-45 when I bought a used K-20D years back, all are long gone.
I kept the 35/2.4 mainly to use for non macro close up photos of things I’m selling on forums or eBay.( I should sell it since my iPad takes those photos now. ) The FA 50/1.4 is the only AF 50mm I’ve ever owned. I prefer the rendering of the older SMC 55/1.8 or Super Takumar 50/1.4 to this lens. I should sell it, loss of money be dammed. The Tammy 17-50/2.8 was purchased to replace my 16-45/4. Unfortunately, the Tamron developed loose internal screws. I gave it away free with a K-5 I sold. The DA*16-50/2.8 came to me in a bundle with a K5iis & DA 50-135/2.8. Both lenses had failed SDM and were screw drive converted. I own a 15/4 LTD and 20-40 LTD. The 16-50 just didn’t measure up to that combo and was too darn big. Sold it. Love the 50-135.
The HD 55-300 is a fine lens, however after buying a KP body and reading glowing reviews of the PLM version and it’s AF speed on the KP, I jumped on a great deal used PLM and sold the HD version for to recover two thirds of the PLM cost. I’d owned the FA 100/2.8 Macro but wanted a weather resistant macro so, another found a used DFA WR version and sold my FA, almost came out even on that one.
10-06-2020, 06:23 AM   #34
Unregistered User

Very good observation - I'd like to see an historical frequency distribution. I bet it would be worth money to lens manufacturers to know what it reveals.

I'd tried to sell a few of those in that list, myself, with no results. Ended up giving most of my APS-C lenses to one of my kids, along with a K-50. All very good lenses, and I still have very warm regards for the K-50 - altogether a terrific "starter package" for the kid (If I can rekindle his interest - he was a great cinematographer as a little kid - I still call all my offspring, "kids", even though the older ones have gray hair themselves).

10-06-2020, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
1. DA 35/2.4 “Plastic Fantastic”
2. DA 50/1.8
3. DA 18-135 WR
4. DA 50-200
5. DA 55-300 WR
6. FA 50/1.4
7. DA* 16-50/2.8
8. Tamron 17-50/2.8 Di
9. Sigma 80-200/2.8
10. DFA 100/2.8 WR
1. Bought new for <$100. It's a nice reasonably fast prime making a compact kit when desired. I tend to prefer my FA 28mm lately though. Wife sometimes uses it.

2. Freebie when I bought my KP. It's useful in the same ways as my DA 35mm.

3. Came as a kit with wife's K-S2. It's her most used lens by far due to its versatility and quality. I've taken it on personal travel for those reasons.

4. Never owned. Would have been redundant FL to my 55-300s

5. Bought the original non WR version in 2008 for use with my K10D. Upgraded to the PLM version for it's WR and better performance with my KP. Wife still uses it with her K-S2. It's her second most used lens. In terms of relative value, I paid $350 for the original in 2008 and $360 for the PLM version in 2018. Both bought new.

6. Never owned. Never felt the need for an extra 2/3 stop compared with my DA 50mm 1.8.

7. The DA* 16-50 has been my most used lens since I bought it new in 2008.

8. Never owned. It would be redundant to my DA* 16-50 and less versatile.

9. Never owned.

10. It's the appropriate tool when needed. Nice macro, flat field of view, etc. I don't use it much, but it's there when I need it.
10-06-2020, 07:02 AM   #36
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Zoom creep on that lens? Never seen it once. Wild how different things are across the same brand.
hmm I don't think I have my term incorrect...
While walking with the lens attached to my camera on a shoulder sling the zoom slowly extends. each step, a little further extended.

I also just tested by holding my lens upside down, holding it at the base, and gently wiggling it about - extends the zoom.
10-06-2020, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
While walking with the lens attached to my camera on a shoulder sling the zoom slowly extends. each step, a little further extended.

I also just tested by holding my lens upside down, holding it at the base, and gently wiggling it about - extends the zoom.
Sorry, I don't doubt you're having the issue, but it's typically a problem with much larger and heavier zooms. I'm surprised it's an issue with the 18-135 but it's certainly plausible.

10-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #38
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
18-135 but it's certainly plausible.
Maybe my copy is just loosie goosie (?) I still find it to be an exceptional lens
10-06-2020, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote

Usually the term is applied when the zoom creeps during use. That said, I do have a similar problem with my Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 (C). Unless the zoom is homed at its shortest setting, it will very slowly, but surely creep down when being carried nose down. Yes, it is vexing. Strangely, I reflexively retract the zoom as a matter of course anymore when I take a pause from shooting.

Steve
10-06-2020, 12:26 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, it is vexing.
My worse experience of this phenomenon was with my old Sigma 70-300. It would easily and quickly fully extend while being carried nose down. I ended up buying a large elastic band to hold it in place.
I sold that lens when I bought the 55-300 PLM and I absolutely love the retractable design, because the release lock button holds the zoom assembly when being carried about.
10-06-2020, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

1. DA 35/2.4 “Plastic Fantastic” - Owned it but gave to a friend along with my old K-r.
2. DA 50/1.8 - sharp lens, I now have two as a second came in a bundle I bought earlier this year. I will sell one or both as I have the DA*55 also...
3. DA 18-135 WR - Never owned, always thought about getting one but looking more for FF compatible lenses.
4. DA 50-200 - Sold with the camera it came with as part of the kit when I upgraded to a KP.
5. DA 55-300 WR -Sold when I got the PLM
6. FA 50/1.4 - Owned, liked it but sold after I got the Macro 2.8.
7. DA* 16-50/2.8 - Never owned. Had the DA 17-70 f/4 which I liked a lot but sold as I acquired FA* lenses.
8. Tamron 17-50/2.8 Di - Never owned.
9. Sigma 80-200/2.8 - never owned. HAve the FA* in this focal length range so I will never be without.
10. DFA 100/2.8 WR - Own it and love it. A wonderful lens. So very sharp!
I have a bunch more and even a number of manual focus lenses but I have had a bad case of LBA since I bought a K-50 and selling older less used lenses helps to minimize the impact of my lens buying addiction.
10-06-2020, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
1. DA 35/2.4 “Plastic Fantastic” - Owned it but gave to a friend along with my old K-r.
2. DA 50/1.8 - sharp lens, I now have two as a second came in a bundle I bought earlier this year. I will sell one or both as I have the DA*55 also...
3. DA 18-135 WR - Never owned, always thought about getting one but looking more for FF compatible lenses.
4. DA 50-200 - Sold with the camera it came with as part of the kit when I upgraded to a KP.
5. DA 55-300 WR -Sold when I got the PLM
6. FA 50/1.4 - Owned, liked it but sold after I got the Macro 2.8.
7. DA* 16-50/2.8 - Never owned. Had the DA 17-70 f/4 which I liked a lot but sold as I acquired FA* lenses.
8. Tamron 17-50/2.8 Di - Never owned.
9. Sigma 80-200/2.8 - never owned. HAve the FA* in this focal length range so I will never be without.
10. DFA 100/2.8 WR - Own it and love it. A wonderful lens. So very sharp!
I have a bunch more and even a number of manual focus lenses but I have had a bad case of LBA since I bought a K-50 and selling older less used lenses helps to minimize the impact of my lens buying addiction.
I have massive LBA, thereforeI own more glass than I can regularly use. The classic older Takumar m42 and K-Mount lenses I consider user collectibles, so they “don’t count”. I buy used 100% of the time since about 2010, so when I buy, try and move on a lens- it doesn’t kill me.
10-06-2020, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

I have massive LBA, thereforeI own more glass than I can regularly use. The classic older Takumar m42 and K-Mount lenses I consider user collectibles, so they “don’t count”. I buy used 100% of the time since about 2010, so when I buy, try and move on a lens- it doesn’t kill me.
Since I got rid of the old ball and chain, or at least since I started the long drawn out process, I have been better since I have nearly all of the lenses I want and can possibly use, with a few rare birds that are out there that could fill my stable. I really do need to unload at least one of my DA 50's.
10-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve been a member here for a few years and frequently buy and sell on the Marketplace. A number of lenses with good reviews seem to be purchased by a majority of us only to be listed for sale at a later date.
I'm trying to work out your premise, your logic, here, Steamloco!

Are you saying that the lenses most frequently sold secondhand have problems?

Won't the most common lenses for sale be correlated with the lenses most commonly bought in the first place? It's to do with quantity of product, right?

A waiver is given to the 18-55 kit lens because, it's the kit lens. I still have mine, despite all the others I've purchased.
10-06-2020, 04:39 PM - 3 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. DA 35/2.4 “Plastic Fantastic” - Never had. I did have the desire to test it because of its great reputation, but 2.4 seemed a little slow, even if the difference to 1.8 is not that much. I wanted my first prime to be able to deliver the most bokeh for the money, so I went with a DA 50/1.8 instead. I fancy the 35 Limited once in a blue moon, but with 2.8 it's even darker, it's slower focussing because of macro focus throw, and it's not WR. And it never popped up for a price that I would have paid. I think I would have gotten one when it was at least f/2 or WR.
2. DA 50/1.8 - Still have it (twice because I got one for cheap when I already had one). Got it as my first prime. Sharp, small, light weight, perhaps a little harsh in bokeh and rendering? No aperture ring, plastic build, loud screw drive focus, but reliable. Got a cheap metal hood for mine, but wish it came with a hood. Offered my second one for cheap to a friend whom I got into buying a used K-50 (with white solenoid) as his first DSLR, but he wanted the fuller experience and went for my second copy of an A 50/1.7 (which had the better focussing feel of my two copies). I should sell my second copy, but will definitely keep one if only as part of my 50s collection
3. DA 18-135 WR - Still have it, got it in a kit with my K-S2. Love the versatility, fast focussing, WR, and I can't say I was ever let down regarding sharpness or rendering. Meanwhile I did buy a used 16-85, but I think it's decentered. Contacted the service, but will have to do some more tests before I send it in. I don't know if I'll ever sell the 18-135 even if I get the 16-85 back in perfect condition. Perhaps I'll offer it to my friend if I really won't find a use for it any more? I don't think selling it would be worth it considering the prices I see it going for here

It can go in a few seconds from this

to that

It can even do this

4. DA 50-200 - Never had. Had a new Tamron 70-300 Di LD at home before my camera arrived, which I have upped with a used PLM and given to my friend as his first telephoto. The 1:2 macro was nice, but only available from 180-300. It was slow optically and slow and loud focussing, and at the long end contrast/sharpness weren't great. The PLM is also slow optically, but better in every other aspect except max. magnification, but I got a #10 for that.
5. DA 55-300 WR - Never had, see above.
6. FA 50/1.4 - Still have it. I got a used one for a great price and I have barely touched the DA since I got it. Great bokeh, perfect for flowers

7. DA* 16-50/2.8 - Never had. I got a used Sigma 17-50/2.8 after reading reviews here that touched on a few issues of the DA*. Its only advantage would have been the AW (and a mm on the wide end), but for a much higher price, possible SDM issues and mixed optical performance (?).
8. Tamron 17-50/2.8 Di - Never had, see above. Cheaper and more frequently seen used than the Sigma, which I guess reinforces my decision to go with the Sigma.
9. Sigma 80-200/2.8 - Never had. Got a used Tamron 70-200/2.8 which is a bit dreamy/gloomy at 200/2.8, but sharp at f/4. It's also the most lightweight option out there (?)
10. DFA 100/2.8 WR - Still have it. Bought it new when it was on a sale that was so good that most of the used copies I see are offered at the same or higher price. Love the build quality, WR and sharpness. I learned quickly that AF is not that useful when in macro distances, and it can take a while to lock focus when focussing further away. I'd say bokeh is not optimized for faraway shooting and it shows?