Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If there are common perches or flyways, you might be able to set the camera up close by on a tripod and use a wireless remote to get yourself away to a non-threatening distance. Some birds will get acclimated to your presence if you show up enough. I have a feeder on a pole by the driveway, and some of the songbirds will let me stand 10 feet away and shoot. I think they know I'm the guy who fills the feeder.

10-09-2020, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I keep a K3II just for wildlife, paired with DA 300/4 and DA 1.4x AW AF. I'm really looking forward to the full frame teleconverter.
Uncropped:

10-09-2020, 06:01 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I have the DFA 150-450, 1.7x AF, 1.4x TC, K-1 II and K-3 II. If I'm chasing birds, I find I do best with the K-3 II and then cropping.
Does the 150-450 work well with the 1.7x?
10-10-2020, 08:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
You can use the DA 1.4x AW AF converter in APS-C mode. This will retain autofocus. That will give quite some reach, but at the reduced APS-C resolution , of course.

Per the Ricoh web site the full-frame converters A 1.4X-S and A 2X-S are compatible. They don't support auto focus, though. I'd suspect that the 2x converter will not work well due to the 2 stop light loss.

The hard-to-find Tamron 1.4x teleconverter is full frame and supports AF. I have one and it works rather well. But I have not tried it with the 150-450 zoom, so I cannot speak for that combo. But check the reviews in the link, some members have actually used it with the 150-450.
Thanks for that Ole. I will read the reviews and also see what I can get here in Australia.

10-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Does the 150-450 work well with the 1.7x?
My experience is it's not better than upsampling, and possibly worse. I think it does better on full frame than APS-C. Here's a link to samples I posted in another thread awhile back. Couple thoughts before you click on this link. When I made an earlier post with these, they were criticized by another member for not being any good due to differences in exposure. Well, I have pulled them up in Lightroom to make them match, and when doing so, I felt I was introducing too many changes that were on their own misleading. So, these are out of the camera and upsampled/and or cropped in Fastone with nothing else done. The fact that the photos with the 1.7x AF are underexposed in comparison is just what happened. Same with the color shift. I recall others have had this same experience with the 1.7x, so I would look at these changes as what to expect will happen without post - a bit of underexposure and a warming of the colors. There are also sample photos from the 60-250 in here. This is before I did the baffle mod on it. What you are looking at in these samples is a series where first, the lens on it's own, then upsampled 1.7x using Lanczos2, then a crop from the resampled image to correspond to the area as if the shot had been made with the 1.7x, AF and finally, a shot with the lens and the 1.7x AF in place. When viewing the photos individually, there's a brief description telling you which one you're viewing.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/148580750@N05/1oP044

In many ways, the 1.7x AF holds its own when used with the 60-250, but I feel it just doesn't work as well with the 150-450. The really long distant shot with the 1.7x AF and 150-450 is pretty lousy compared to the lens alone, and I did multiple shots, so it wasn't a one off.
10-11-2020, 10:31 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
My experience is it's not better than upsampling, and possibly worse. I think it does better on full frame than APS-C.
My own experience is with moon shots using my K3 with the FA* 300 and DA* 60-250. I can't decide if the HD DA 1.4X cropped or the 1.7x is better. Too many variations...