Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2020, 06:35 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What's big and what's best without breaking the bank. Western Australia

Hi, I'm new to forum posting; I'm a battling amateur photographer.
I'm living in Western Australia.
I have been looking for lens that are an upsize to my current DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 DA WR I'm currently using; on an K3 body.
The Pentax HD PENTAX D FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 DC seems to be the only one I can see that fits the bill.
Can anybody suggest any others I should look at; given that the Australia dollar is currently about 68 cents to the US dollar; so price is a consideration.
Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers Ollie.

10-17-2020, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi, Ollie, and welcome. As a new moderator, this is a tricky post---it's an introduction post, but it's also mainly a lens post, and we have a forum for that. If you would like, I will move this over to that forum. You can let me/us know with a reply here.
10-17-2020, 07:24 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LITTLEOLLIE Quote
Hi, I'm new to forum posting; I'm a battling amateur photographer.
I'm living in Western Australia.
I have been looking for lens that are an upsize to my current DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 DA WR I'm currently using; on an K3 body.
The Pentax HD PENTAX D FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 DC seems to be the only one I can see that fits the bill.
Can anybody suggest any others I should look at; given that the Australia dollar is currently about 68 cents to the US dollar; so price is a consideration.
Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers Ollie.
Welcome aboard Ollie! The option you mention is probably the best if you can afford it. One upgrade is the 55-300PLM, it's no bigger, it just has fast autofocus. and I believe the IQ is improved too, in my opinion. Another and in my opinion the best option is the DA*300/f4 plus the DA Read Converter 1.4x, which gives you 420mm. The DA*300 is a major upgrade by itself. I've had the lens for quite a while and it delivers good results. I just got the DA Rear Converter yesterday so I don't have a ton of experience with is, but what I have seen so far I am impressed. I hedged on a teleconverter for a long time, because so many are not really good, but I kept seeing people's results for this one that were very good, so I jumped on. I think the only limitation to it is my abilities.

The longer focal length you go the more steady you have to hold it and sometimes that takes a little time to learn. I seen where a few people cannot hand hold the 150-450, but most can.

I took the photo below with the DA*300 and the DA rear converter, handheld, about 20-25 yards away, it is cropped, Iwas pretty happy with that on my first day with the teleconverter.
10-17-2020, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

A DA auto focus teleconverter would get you started on the road to greatness, but make sure that it works well with your current zoom lens.

Your best low budget option would be a manual focus 400mm, 500mm or 600mm prime. Perhaps with a matching 1.4x teleconverter. Stay away from the mirror lenses, unless you find a cheap one. They are mostly an acquired taste.

Here is the best compromise between price and quality. I have one and can recommend it. All the other options listed below are just conjecture on my part as I don't own any of them.

SMC Pentax-A 400mm F5.6 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

If you need auto focus, Pentax did make a 400mm but it seems to be a rare animal.

SMC Pentax-A 400mm F5.6 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

You might find it easier to check out a used Sigma 400mm prime.

Sigma 400mm F5.6 APO (AF) v3: 1995 > Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Sigma also made various zooms in the 400mm and 500mm range.

Sigma Lenses for Pentax: Legacy Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

For something more current (and pricey) look at the Sigma 50-500mm. AFAIK they are not made anymore (Sigma discontinued their K mount lineup) but there might be some new old stock out there.

Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

That's about it. Other than Pentax and Sigma there are no AF lenses in K mount longer than 300mm.

Last edited by Wasp; 10-17-2020 at 09:18 AM.
10-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Pentax glass your choices are:
- One of the DA 55-300 versions
- The DA*300mm
- The DA*60-250
- The DFA 70-200 f/2.8
- The DFA 70-210 f/4
- The DFA 150-450

If it matters the DA*300 and all the DFA lenses are full frame capable if you decide to move to that format at some point. The 55-300 is not. The 60-250 is not completely but with some modification can be acceptable.

It really comes down to budget and how long you really need. I had and used the 60-250 for many years and it was actually my most used lens. I've regretted selling it ever since. The DFA 150-450 is a really nice lens but it is large and heavy, not something you just put in your bag when you go.
10-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thread moved.
10-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Tough call. The DA55-300mm is possibly your best budget lens for the distance.

I will share my own experience. I bought a FA*300mm f4.5, over the DA*300 f4, because the FA300mm is lighter and optically on par. I also bought TC2x. The combo TC + 300mm gave me a great reach.... But I rarely use it. I found the FA300mm a great lens in itself, with great IQ, good response and I am happy like this.

My cents, hoping that the experience may help.

Addenda: in second thought, I should possibly try a TC1.4x instead(?)

10-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I have the Sigma 150-500 DG OS for Pentax. I bought it when there was no Pentax 150-450 available. If it had been, certainly I would have purchased it instead. I find that the genuine reach of a lens itself is the most satisfying feature of it for me, so I would recommend the Pentax 150-450. I know other users may prefer a smaller lens with a converter, and may prize the quality of the images, but for me the most distance is the best, and the 150-450 is going to give a user that if that is what the user needs and can handle.

Good luck with your decision.
10-18-2020, 12:48 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Hi, Ollie, and welcome. As a new moderator, this is a tricky post---it's an introduction post, but it's also mainly a lens post, and we have a forum for that. If you would like, I will move this over to that forum. You can let me/us know with a reply here.
Hi Tex;
Sorry for my mistake.
Please, by all means move my post to the correct forum.
Its my first post here; I will look more closely next time.

Cheers Ollie.
10-18-2020, 12:55 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Welcome aboard Ollie! The option you mention is probably the best if you can afford it. One upgrade is the 55-300PLM, it's no bigger, it just has fast autofocus. and I believe the IQ is improved too, in my opinion. Another and in my opinion the best option is the DA*300/f4 plus the DA Read Converter 1.4x, which gives you 420mm. The DA*300 is a major upgrade by itself. I've had the lens for quite a while and it delivers good results. I just got the DA Rear Converter yesterday so I don't have a ton of experience with is, but what I have seen so far I am impressed. I hedged on a teleconverter for a long time, because so many are not really good, but I kept seeing people's results for this one that were very good, so I jumped on. I think the only limitation to it is my abilities.

The longer focal length you go the more steady you have to hold it and sometimes that takes a little time to learn. I seen where a few people cannot hand hold the 150-450, but most can.

I took the photo below with the DA*300 and the DA rear converter, handheld, about 20-25 yards away, it is cropped, Iwas pretty happy with that on my first day with the teleconverter.
Thanks for your very informative reply ramseybuckeye.
I looked at converters, and like you, I was hesitant. But I may have to revisit on the strength of what you are saying; and certainly if your capture is anything to go by.
Thanks again for taking the time to help me out with this.
Cheers Ollie.
10-18-2020, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
A DA auto focus teleconverter would get you started on the road to greatness, but make sure that it works well with your current zoom lens.

Your best low budget option would be a manual focus 400mm, 500mm or 600mm prime. Perhaps with a matching 1.4x teleconverter. Stay away from the mirror lenses, unless you find a cheap one. They are mostly an acquired taste.

Here is the best compromise between price and quality. I have one and can recommend it. All the other options listed below are just conjecture on my part as I don't own any of them.

If you need auto focus, Pentax did make a 400mm but it seems to be a rare animal.

You might find it easier to check out a used Sigma 400mm prime.

Sigma 400mm F5.6 APO (AF) v3: 1995 > Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Sigma also made various zooms in the 400mm and 500mm range.

Sigma Lenses for Pentax: Legacy Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

For something more current (and pricey) look at the Sigma 50-500mm. AFAIK they are not made anymore (Sigma discontinued their K mount lineup) but there might be some new old stock out there.

Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

That's about it. Other than Pentax and Sigma there are no AF lenses in K mount longer than 300mm.
Thank you Wasp for your informative reply.
I haven't considered prime lenses; because around here subject can be at my feet and others can by large distances away and others may go from large range to short range in a very short time. So I have dismissed them due to their lack of versatility; so yes, I think I need auto focus.
Thanks for the tip on mirror lenses; I did look at one on E-bay for a while; but couldn't decide what to do; I'm now glad i didn't jump into that one.
I will certainly look at the reviews you have linked; and thank you for those.
I wasn't aware Sigma did a K mount; that is news to me too.
Cheers Ollie.
10-18-2020, 01:14 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote

I will share my own experience. I bought a FA*300mm f4.5, over the DA*300 f4, because the FA300mm is lighter and optically on par. I also bought TC2x. The combo TC + 300mm gave me a great reach.... But I rarely use it. I found the FA300mm a great lens in itself, with great IQ, good response and I am happy like this.

Thanks jatrax.
Once again you have given me things to think about and more research is required; without going around in circles before falling down.
I do understand that the 150-450 is big, and is heavy; but I am prepared for that.
Along with my lens purchase I can see that I may have to also purchase another camera body; even if it is an older model; I have a very versatile compact, but it isn't the same league; and only shoots JPEGs.
Cheers Ollie.
10-18-2020, 01:18 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote

Thank you hcc.
I will have to look at the FA*300mm f4.5; I thought going bigger was my only option; it would appear from what I am reading that that is not the case at all.
I will also be looking at TCs in a different light now.
It would appear the combo of lens and TC is the key there.
And your experience really does help; thanks again.
Cheers Ollie.
10-18-2020, 01:20 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have the Sigma 150-500 DG OS for Pentax. I bought it when there was no Pentax 150-450 available. If it had been, certainly I would have purchased it instead. I find that the genuine reach of a lens itself is the most satisfying feature of it for me, so I would recommend the Pentax 150-450. I know other users may prefer a smaller lens with a converter, and may prize the quality of the images, but for me the most distance is the best, and the 150-450 is going to give a user that if that is what the user needs and can handle.

Good luck with your decision.
Thank you C_Jones.
Your input has given me another view point and more to ponder.
Cheers Ollie.
10-18-2020, 02:36 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LITTLEOLLIE Quote
Thank you C_Jones.
Your input has given me another view point and more to ponder.
Cheers Ollie.
As with C_Jones, I have the Sigma 150-500mm and consider it to be a very valid "budget" option. Mine cost me £350 (UK) s/h from a reputable UK dealer a couple of years ago, somewhat less than any Pentax-branded alternative