Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2020, 07:41 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
I'm not one for showing off. The character of the lens is the only thing that appeals to me. I created the thread to find out if the lens is worth purchasing in it's current condition. If the issue is only fungus, and dust I'm able to resolve it.
Thatís whatís hard to tell, it looks like it could be separation.

10-20-2020, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Thatís whatís hard to tell, it looks like it could be separation.
There's no separation.
Here's some more photos.

Dropbox - Screenshot_20201020-120306_eBay.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - Screenshot_20201020-120301_eBay.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - Screenshot_20201020-120249_eBay.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - Screenshot_20201020-120240_eBay.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - Screenshot_20201020-120230_eBay.jpg - Simplify your life
10-20-2020, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From these recent photos that you posted, the fungus etc inside the lens does not look so bad.

I've cleaned many lenses with fungus in them. Heavy fungus sometimes can not be effectively removed. However, lighter infestations of fungus can often be successfully removed. From these last photos you've posted it now looks like it's likely a lighter concentration of fungus that can likely be effectively removed.

The outside of the lens and the rear element look nice.

So, given the nice condition of the outside, the good condition of the rear element, the light concentration of fungus, and your declaration that there's no separation, then based on this new information, I'm changing my recommendation to BUY. While it's not "collectors" quality, if you think you can clean up the optics and remove the light fungus you just might end up with a nice "shooter lens" (provided the price is acceptable).

Let us know how it cleans up. Also, it would be nice to see some photos you take with this lens.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-20-2020 at 09:46 AM.
10-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The lens is M42 and has a rear element. If you want it, buy it. As for what we might advise based on what you have shared, I would not buy the lens nor advise you to buy it without knowing its make and model.

Steve

10-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
There's no separation.
Here's some more photos.
These look way better.
10-20-2020, 10:55 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
From these recent photos that you posted, the fungus etc inside the lens does not look so bad.

I've cleaned many lenses with fungus in them. Heavy fungus sometimes can not be effectively removed. However, lighter infestations of fungus can often be successfully removed. From these last photos you've posted it now looks like it's likely a lighter concentration of fungus that can likely be effectively removed.

The outside of the lens and the rear element look nice.

So, given the nice condition of the outside, the good condition of the rear element, the light concentration of fungus, and your declaration that there's no separation, then based on this new information, I'm changing my recommendation to BUY. While it's not "collectors" quality, if you think you can clean up the optics and remove the light fungus you just might end up with a nice "shooter lens" (provided the price is acceptable).

Let us know how it cleans up. Also, it would be nice to see some photos you take with this lens.
I really appreciate you taking the time to have a look at this lens and point out your findings. Before you change your recommendation. What do you think this is on the front element? I'm thinking it might be grease? Maybe fungus? Doesn't appear to be coating damage.

Dropbox - 20201020_133814.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - 20201020_133905.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - 20201020_134016.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - 20201020_134057.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - 20201020_134137.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - 20201020_134321.jpg - Simplify your life
10-20-2020, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hard to tell from those small, low res photos.

You said - " I'm thinking it might be grease?". Grease is often easy enough to remove. However, sometimes what looks like "grease" is actually "haze". Like fungus, I've found that sometimes haze (especially if it's been in place for years ) can be impossible to remove.

If this lens is in your possestion, why don't you just remove the front element and try to remove the grease/fungus yourself? Keep the lens if you are successful, return it if not.

For most lenses, front elements that are a functional total loss are not of much concern to me as I can usually (with enough time) find a cheap donor "for parts" lens and it's easy enough just to swap out front elements.

However, if this lens is that rare, you might have to wait a LONG time to find a cheap donor lens with a nice front element.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-20-2020 at 11:54 AM.
10-20-2020, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, check out my Flickr "Swirly Bokeh Gallery" to see 175 outstanding examples of swirly bokeh AND the lenses that took them (I wonder if your rare swirly bokeh lens is included?).

10-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #24

Original Poster
Hard to tell from those small, low res photos.

You said - " I'm thinking it might be grease?". Grease is often easy enough to remove. However, sometimes what looks like "grease" is actually "haze". Like fungus, I've found that sometimes haze (especially if it's been in place for years ) can be impossible to remove.

If this lens is in your possestion, why don't you just remove the front element and try to remove the grease/fungus yourself? Keep the lens if you are successful, return it if not.

For most lenses, front elements that are a functional total loss are not of much concern to me as I can usually (with enough time) find a cheap donor "for parts" lens and it's easy enough just to swap out front elements.

However, if this lens is that rare, you might have to wait a LONG time to find a cheap donor lens with a nice front element.
I don't have the lens yet. That's what I plan to do. I don't think it would be a good idea to swap this element with a donar one. As the donar element won't produce the swirl. Now if I find another copy that's a different story. I thought of actually doing that with the Helios 44 taking the front element and placing it in a body that does F/1.2 I'm curious how the results would turn out wide open. Anyway, that's an experiment for a different day.

---------- Post added 10-20-20 at 02:14 PM ----------

Also, check out my Flickr "Swirly Bokeh Gallery" to see 175 outstanding examples of swirly bokeh AND the lenses that took them (I wonder if your rare swirly bokeh lens is included?).
Beautiful examples. I looked at all of them. I liked three of the lenses from that series of examples. None of them were from my lens.
11-02-2020, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Photo 134137 def looks like some seperation. Those ripples looks like the balsam in retreat from the edges. Unfortunately, time is working against these lenses, if it's a curiousity, I'd pass on this one.