Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2020, 05:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Should I buy this lens?

Hello, good evening everyone. I'm interested in buying this lens. I asked the seller to do a plain white sheet of paper test shot with the aperture stopped down. This is what he sent me. It looks concerning to me. The specks of dust I can likely clean off. However, what are those larger stained looking spots? Would that be due to damaged lens coatings, or something else? I'm guessing the longer looking darker spots are scratches? I have included a photo of the rear element that appears to have a scratch. He said "If there's a scratch on the rear element, it's extremely faint" He also provided some sample photos.

Last edited by Prince Harbinger; 12-11-2020 at 06:50 PM.
10-19-2020, 05:51 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the stuff you're seeing in the images are likely crud on the camera's sensor. But, that lens does look like it's suffering from fungus or element separation or some such. Unless it's truly special (which I doubt) I'd avoid it.
10-19-2020, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Save your $20
10-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

... um, no....

unless a rare lens that you are going to disassemble and clean...

10-19-2020, 06:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The photo of the lens looks bad, I would pass.
10-19-2020, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Looking at the images, it is both sensor crud and fungus. Save your money and shop on the marketplace here. Decent images of sale items and good folks. What is it? Use the alert function to get an email if someone lists a desired lens in the marketplace thread. I have gotten some goodies using that function. Or use the wanted thread, someone may offer you a great deal. Good luck and avoid this one.
10-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
All the stuff you're seeing in the images are likely crud on the camera's sensor. But, that lens does look like it's suffering from fungus or element separation or some such. Unless it's truly special (which I doubt) I'd avoid it.
Thanks, unfortunately it is the only copy I found on Ebay. I know how to clean fungus if need be. I'm mainly interested in it for it's unique rendering. It is the only lens that I know of that swirls just like a Helios 40, and has bubble bokeh like a Trioplan.

---------- Post added 10-19-20 at 06:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Save your $20
It's actually $90.00 😆[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 10-19-20 at 06:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
... um, no....

unless a rare lens that you are going to disassemble and clean...
As it's the only one on Ebay. I'd say it's rare.

10-19-2020, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Unless you are exceptional at lens repair, I'd encourage you to stay away from any lens with separation. Repairing lens separation is not a do it yourself project. You are from the USA. I am not aware of any lens repair service in the USA that repairs separated lenses.

I doubt this lenses' look is really all that unique. I have dozens of lenses with swirly bokeh and bubble bokeh - they're really not all that rare.

I know of only one bokeh lens that's truly unique and rare - the Kilfit (something or other) is the only lens ever made with bokeh balls that have double rings.

I went through a swirly soap-bubble bokeh phase too. In time, I tired of it, and now prefer lenses with smooth cream-style bokeh (at least for most backgrounds).

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-20-2020 at 10:44 AM.
10-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^And Dave knows Bokeh!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
10-19-2020, 07:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

Unless you are exceptional at lens repair, I'd encourage you to stay away from any lens with separation. Repairing lens separation is not a do it yourself project. You are from the USA. I am not aware of any lens repair service in the USA that repairs separated lenses.

I doubt this lenses' look is really all that unique. I have dozens of lenses with swirly bokeh and bubble bokeh - they're really not all that rare.

I know of only one bokeh lens that's truly unique and rare - the Kilfit (something or other) is the only lens ever made with bokeh balls that have double rings.

I went through a swirly soap-bubble bokeh phase too. In time, I tired of it, and now prefer lenses with smooth cream-style bokeh.
Considering it can do what the Zeiss Biotar 75mm f/1.5 which is a $2,100.00 lens or the cheaper and optically better alternative the Helios 40 for a fraction of either of what the both of those lenses cost. I'd say it's worth it. Perhaps not this particular copy, but if I could find another lens like it I would be delighted to add it to my collection. Neither of those two lenses do bubble bokeh with swirl.

Here's two example photos of the lens in question. If you know of any that can render like this please let me know.

"now prefer lenses with smooth cream-style bokeh"

I like those kind of lenses too. I have one so far that is my favorite it is the Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 (8-element variant).

Last edited by Prince Harbinger; 12-11-2020 at 06:50 PM.
10-19-2020, 11:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Did you buy it? Can you now reveal what this lens is?
10-20-2020, 02:27 AM   #12
Unregistered User

You don't suppose that guy cleans his lenses with Brakleen, do you? (For those inexperienced in such matters, that product of the Chemical Rubber Corporation is a powerful degreasing chemical cleaner used for auto parts, hence the name "brake cleaner". It would probably dissolve any plastic parts on a lens.)
10-20-2020, 03:56 AM   #13
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

so, essentially, this is about a lens that you want to buy, to show off that it is a rare lens, but have to defend your purchase because of the poor condition of the lens.....

no?
10-20-2020, 05:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
so, essentially, this is about a lens that you want to buy, to show off that it is a rare lens, but have to defend your purchase because of the poor condition of the lens.....

no?
I'm not one for showing off. The character of the lens is the only thing that appeals to me. I created the thread to find out if the lens is worth purchasing in it's current condition. If the issue is only fungus, and dust I'm able to resolve it.
10-20-2020, 07:41 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What lens is this? Did I miss that in the discussion?