Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Focus trap

while out shooting with the tak500 sunday i wanted to utilize this feature. i set it up like this. focus on pier where i knew gulls would be landing, set cam to auto focus, move lens away from the prefocused pier and put my wired remote to shoot bursts. well that's all it did. shot bursts with nothing in the VF. what did i do wrong??

03-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Autofocus will not shoot unless there it manages to confirm/lock focus. If the bird got in the frame and threw off the focus, the camera will not fire even though you are using a MF lens. Switch to MF.

EDIT, just re-read...lol. I think I understand what you are saying now. I would still try switching to MF. But I will get back to you on this.
03-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
while out shooting with the tak500 sunday i wanted to utilize this feature. i set it up like this. focus on pier where i knew gulls would be landing, set cam to auto focus, move lens away from the prefocused pier and put my wired remote to shoot bursts. well that's all it did. shot bursts with nothing in the VF. what did i do wrong??
I haven't done this since my PZ-1 but I believe what you need to do is to set the lens & camera to manual focus, at the exact point you want, then press the shutter, When something flies into the focus range, with the shutter interlocked with focus confirmation, it will trip and capture what is in the field of view at the time. It does burn down the batteries in this mode however.

edit
ps this should be in a camera forum not in the lens forum
03-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
manual focus will fire any time. i know for a fact that to achieve focus trap you have to be in AF with a manual lens for focus trap to work. ie: when the bird flies into focus then the cam will fire. i've done this before and can't understand why it did not work.

edit: i also know this works with an AF lens as well

03-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
manual focus will fire any time. i know for a fact that to achieve focus trap you have to be in AF with a manual lens for focus trap to work. ie: when the bird flies into focus then the cam will fire. i've done this before and can't understand why it did not work.

edit: i also know this works with an AF lens as well
I understand now. Sorta how I shoot fast action. Focus for a spot, with my manual lens, set the focus in AF, wait for the action to come to the frame, and when the focus is locked the camera fires.

I haven't tried this with a remote release though. I'm wondering if remote 3 sec. timer release has anything to do with it?
03-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Eureka!!

Roy,

Set your focus mode for AF-S not AF-C. My camera was doing the same thing when I was tooling with the camera yesterday.

Hope that resolves it.
03-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
alvin, i was on af-s when doing this. were you using a remote?? also i thought of something else. i was shooting in burst mode. maybe one of thee 2 makes a difference. i'll have to ck it out next time i try.

03-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I actually don't have a remote control, but I have got it happening off the shutter button. This might be it in custom menu...

AF in remote control (ON/OFF).

Try picking with that to see if it works.
03-12-2007, 04:24 AM   #9

Does focus trapping work with M42 lenses as well as M lenses?
03-12-2007, 05:16 AM   #10
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
AFAIK it works with any lens.. ahhh, except my 500mm
03-12-2007, 06:24 AM   #11
clm

Did you set Focus Indication with S-mount lens to on?
03-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #12
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clm Quote
Did you set Focus Indication with S-mount lens to on?
never seen that setting on the DS
03-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #13
clm

I use a Samsung DS2 clone. "FI with S lens used" is in the custom functions menu. I don't know for certain if that is your problem, but it might be relevant.
Here it is: Pentax *ist DS Review: 9. Menus: Digital Photography Review
I just noticed there is also an AF in remote control setting, that's more likely to be what needs adjusting.
03-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
clm

I tried with my camera, a Jupiter 9, and wired remote. The following settings are needed in custom functions menu: AF in remote control on, FI with S lens used Available.
03-12-2007, 08:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clm Quote
I use a Samsung DS2 clone. "FI with S lens used" is in the custom functions menu. I don't know for certain if that is your problem, but it might be relevant.
Here it is: Pentax *ist DS Review: 9. Menus: Digital Photography Review
I just noticed there is also an AF in remote control setting, that's more likely to be what needs adjusting.
Focus indicator when screw lens used, ah! I forgot about that one but that is because I don't have a screw mount lens. nice find!