Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Doesn't look good

I haven't used the 50-135 myself, but I can say I wouldn't really want that particular copy. As soon as I saw those images, my eye was immediately drawn to the softness on the PUD COVENANTS text. And the images are nowhere near full-size. I'd expect much better from an expensive lens like this. I know it's a zoom, but that lack of sharpness at the edges at all those apertures is very bad indeed. Distorsion is pretty bad, too.

I'd say that upgrading to a k20d won't improve the results very much. It's the optical quality that's not so good here.

And compared to the 100mm macro, wow, what a difference! I know what one I'd keep.

11-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions, indeed appreciated.

Format - I always shot in RAW (DNG on K10D and PEF on K100D). And previously,

I've never experienced any BF/FF on any of my lenses with neither body. The only reason why I chose to take these test shots of paper print, because none of the pictures I took with the lens were of any quality compared to the thread dedicated to photos with this lens. The only impressive part was color in my copy (even red and purple). And I shot both, in AF and MF, no difference in quality...

And I just looked at those test photos again, even at f6.3 it is far less than ideal for my taste.

I emailed prodigital2000, waiting for response (back to them or to Pentax)

Regards,
D
11-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions, indeed appreciated.

Format - I always shot in RAW (DNG on K10D and PEF on K100D). And previously,

I've never experienced any BF/FF on any of my lenses with neither body. The only reason why I chose to take these test shots of paper print, because none of the pictures I took with the lens were of any quality compared to the thread dedicated to photos with this lens. The only impressive part was color in my copy (even red and purple). And I shot both, in AF and MF, no difference in quality...

And I just looked at those test photos again, even at f6.3 it is far less than ideal for my taste.

I emailed prodigital2000, waiting for response (back to them or to Pentax)

Regards,
D
I will be interested to hear what Prodigital has to say. I think their return policy is only 5 days from purchase but I could be wrong. I hope you get the lens working to your satisfaction.
11-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Hmmm... i didnt realise lensbaby made a 50-135?

12-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #20
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dmitry, did you get this worked out with a 3rd copy that's up to snuff?
12-09-2008, 02:19 AM   #21
nah

I just ordered from Prodigital the other day, hope they don't give me this copy if it was returned...
12-09-2008, 02:42 AM   #22
Forum Member

I just got one from prodigital today, first few shots looked great.. so i kept on shooting.. then realised it seemed to be missing focus very often. did a few adjustments and ended up at around -9 or -10 as the AF adjustment to get things working acceptably (im starting to wonder if it actually needs -11 or more).

Even then overall Im much more pleased with the 16-50 IQ wise. The 16-50 even at f/2.8 blows me away, the 50-135 im not sure about.

Wondering if its worth returning it to canada or just getting it adjusted locally.. wonder which would cost less.
12-09-2008, 03:57 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by avian Quote
I just got one from prodigital today, first few shots looked great.. so i kept on shooting.. then realised it seemed to be missing focus very often. did a few adjustments and ended up at around -9 or -10 as the AF adjustment to get things working acceptably (im starting to wonder if it actually needs -11 or more).

Even then overall Im much more pleased with the 16-50 IQ wise. The 16-50 even at f/2.8 blows me away, the 50-135 im not sure about.

Wondering if its worth returning it to canada or just getting it adjusted locally.. wonder which would cost less.
I say do it local...PD2000 Pentax lenses come with a international warranty, so shouldn't cost you anything.

12-09-2008, 06:15 AM   #24
Forum Member

Cheers Dazman.. I'll give it a go, but Ive heard bad things about CR Kennedy, and their page on grey imports doesnt give me much confidence that they'll want to look at it for free.. find out tomorrow.
12-09-2008, 06:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Prodigital - while it took them almost a week to get back to me with return instructions, I was thankful they did, and were willing to swap the lens. However, shipping back to them, I had to value the package under $50, and that to me was rather What if the lens gets lost, or damaged during shipping?

So I called Pentax, and sent the lens directly back to the manufacturer. It is unlikely that I will have it back before the end of the year, but as long as it is back, and working properly, I'll wait. This focal length is what works for me, and I know it is very very capable lens, so while a little disappointing, still excited and hopeful for flawless example

Regards,
D

P.S. On the positive note - FA 50mm f1.4 focuses spot on just about every time on newly acquired K20D.
12-10-2008, 02:50 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by avian Quote
Cheers Dazman.. I'll give it a go, but Ive heard bad things about CR Kennedy, and their page on grey imports doesnt give me much confidence that they'll want to look at it for free.. find out tomorrow.
It has a international warranty from an authorized Pentax dealer, so I hope they can provide a service under warranty.
I've used CRK once and was happy with the service. Keep us updated...maybe start a new thread.
12-10-2008, 02:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Prodigital - while it took them almost a week to get back to me with return instructions, I was thankful they did, and were willing to swap the lens. However, shipping back to them, I had to value the package under $50, and that to me was rather What if the lens gets lost, or damaged during shipping?

So I called Pentax, and sent the lens directly back to the manufacturer. It is unlikely that I will have it back before the end of the year, but as long as it is back, and working properly, I'll wait. This focal length is what works for me, and I know it is very very capable lens, so while a little disappointing, still excited and hopeful for flawless example

Regards,
D

P.S. On the positive note - FA 50mm f1.4 focuses spot on just about every time on newly acquired K20D.
Sounds like it could be a happy ending. Good news to hear PD2000 would accept the return lens and swap it.
12-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Well I just ordered one from Abes of Maine for 727.00 and 30.00 overnight shipping I sure hope I get a good copy. I have the Xmas Lights Boat Parade in Panama City Fl. to shoot Sat. night.
12-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
DA* 50-135mm - Replaced by Pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Well I just ordered one from Abes of Maine for 727.00 and 30.00 overnight shipping I sure hope I get a good copy...
And you should, my case is very rare I'm sure!

UPS dropped something off ust in time for Christmas:

"Dear Customer,

We have replaced your product as a courtesy to you..."

Well - thank you Pentax! I have not had a chance to mount it, but happy with fuss-free results, and originally, I was told it is unlikely to have it back before holidays - nice surprise!

Happy Holidays to all!!!

Regards,
D
12-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Are you near the focus limit for the lens and is that manual or AF? It really isn't designed to shoot things from very close up. Have you taken any images of things at least 5-10' away? My 50-135* is on par with my limited primes wrt resolution.