Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Question - on k10d, is it normal that this DA* 50-135mm does not show up under the EXIF - lens name section? If I remember correctly, every one of my Pentax lenses names come up...
Depends on whether the software you are using to display the EXIF info happens to know about the lens or not - the info is usually stored as numeric codes, I think, and is converted to text strings by the software based on its own lookup table. A more recent version of your software might fare better.

12-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Depends on whether the software you are using to display the EXIF info happens to know about the lens or not - the info is usually stored as numeric codes, I think, and is converted to text strings by the software based on its own lookup table. A more recent version of your software might fare better.
Marc - I convert all my raw files in Pentax Photolab (supplied with K10D/K20D), but not showing that DA* lens, which is really no big deal.

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Are you near the focus limit for the lens and is that manual or AF? It really isn't designed to shoot things from very close up. Have you taken any images of things at least 5-10' away? My 50-135* is on par with my limited primes wrt resolution.
My 2nd copy was clearly decentered, visible in daily shots (few that I took), and the tests (which I rarely do, unless I suspect something wrong) As for the closeup or not, with all do respect, when it comes to professional grade glass with MSRP tag nearing $1000, I personally expect the lens to perform near flawlessly at any focal length and any subject distance starting with it's widest aperture (as long as it is in the focal range). I really can't see myself thinking while using the lens "am I too close to the subject, I'm afraid it may not perform to my expectations..." or something along those lines. I'd rather concentrate on the subject, composition, lighting and colors...

I know each lens has it's own unique qualities/characteristics, and I try to carefully study each lens for extended period of time using one lens and only one lens until I know what it's capable of and where does it shine. But I refuse to except sub-par product, specially with the such price tag, and knowing how wonderful this lens could be.

I'm glad Pentax was very courteous and appreciate their quick turnaround and replacement of the lens. Doesn't happen to Pentax only. I great photographer I know from UK, forever Canon user (mostly due to the nature of his photography - motorsports and such), had at least half of his "L" glass sent back to Canon for repairs or replacements for anything from decentered elements, to excessive flair, to AF issues. I'm glad companies able to recognize the faults and take care of the issues with customer's product in timely and professional manner.

Regards,
D
12-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #33
pdo

I was never a pixel peeper, but that lens seems to be pretty sharp wide open. You'll never be happy with any lens other then macro if you keep shooting newspaper. Did you make sure that your camera parellel to the newspaper when it was shot?
12-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pdo Quote
...You'll never be happy with any lens other then macro if you keep shooting newspaper...
Thanks for your input Glad your copy was a good one as it should be. I've mentioned many times, that I do not test lenses unless I suspect there is something odd in everyday photos (as it was with this lens)... And with this lens one day of no-keepers was enough to shoot the print.

In my case, and with the words of Pentax service rep when I talked to them on the phone "We have determined your copy has a defect, possibly misaligned elements..."

Regards,
D

12-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Marc - I convert all my raw files in Pentax Photolab (supplied with K10D/K20D), but not showing that DA* lens, which is really no big deal.
If it's the version that came eith the K10D, that predates the 50-135. Update to the most recent version and it should be fine.
12-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #36
Veteran Member

D,

I have a suggestion. From the image itself. there seems to be uneven surfaces and the newspaper was tiled towards its left, unparallel to your camera sensor.

Still, I am not surprised that the zoom has autofocus issue as well. A beam guided autofocus function might be the better way to go for pentax cameras in the future.