Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #16

If you don't mind spending a little more the new Rodenstock HR Digital MC filters are superb...

11-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Hoya multicoated filters are considerably more difficult to clean than their standard models.
I heard this before but never need more then a breath of air and a microfibre cloth.

Are they really harder to clean or do they just show any residual smears better because of the excellent coatings?
11-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Price shop at hvStar out of HK also. They carry Hoya, Kenko, B+W, and more, and their prices are the best I found recently. I just ordered three filters from 'em. Shipping was $10 to the US, and a ten day wait, but the price made it worth the wait.
11-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
How 'bout a Pentax filter?:

KEH Camera: Pentax Manual Focus - Filters - 67 L39 (UV) SMC FILTER

The SMC Pentax filters are very good, and that's a good price.

Chris

Sounds nice but I won't pay 13$ to ship a filter 400 miles down the interstate.
When I can get a B+W 67mm MRC UV 010M Filter NEW F-PRO 43.90$ filter from Hong Kong with "free shipping".
I just won't buy stuff from places that overcharge for shipping.. even If I have to pay extra from another source. Any company that has to make up money on shipping I just don't trust, It shows they don't care about there customers.
But Thanks for showing me the Pentax Filter.

11-10-2008, 03:53 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Price shop at hvStar out of HK also. They carry Hoya, Kenko, B+W, and more, and their prices are the best I found recently. I just ordered three filters from 'em. Shipping was $10 to the US, and a ten day wait, but the price made it worth the wait.
I also just purchased two filters from hvstar. I bought a package with Hoya Pro 1 D UV and Circular Polarizer for my new DA`50-135. It comes with a filter wallet, lens pen, cloth, and fluid for about the same as others sell the Polarizer alone for.
Brian
11-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Sounds nice but I won't pay 13$ to ship a filter...
The good news is that KEH won't charge you $12.95 to ship a single filter.
That's just the default amount shown on the KEH checkout page for shipping, but you will be charged less.
I order from KEH regularly, and the actual charges are usually considerably less, especially for small items.
My guess is that a single filter would ship for the UPS Ground minimum charge, probably around $6.00.
If still interested phone a KEH salesperson for a quote.

I once mentioned to a KEH salesman that this might tend to scare away some business.
He agreed, saying it's a quirk of the online ordering system they are forced to live with.

Even "Free shipping" isn't free - the cost of shipping is always factored into the price.
I agree that it can add significantly to the cost of any purchase, especially small ones.
FWIW I usually wait until I "need" several small items before ordering from KEH...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-10-2008 at 10:39 AM.
11-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Fl Gulfer

The 010 in the B&W description stands for the secondary designation for the Kodak Wratten # 2C UV filter..

Frequently Used Filters for Black & White

I cannot recall at this time what the name of the other organization was that created the system for designating filters that you see in parentheses on the chart in the above link..The parenthetical designations are the ones most commonly used by manufacturers, although I find the Kodak Wratten numbers to be simpler to keep straight in my head..

Bruce

Last edited by baltochef920; 11-10-2008 at 01:43 PM.
11-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I just won't buy stuff from places that overcharge for shipping.. even If I have to pay extra from another source. Any company that has to make up money on shipping I just don't trust, It shows they don't care about there customers.
With the increases in shipping costs, it helps offset their normally low sales price, perhaps. Just look at some things on Amazon (such as memory cards). Some sellers have lower "sales" prices, with higher shipping, so it all works out the same.
11-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The worst offenders I have seen are those selling small PC parts on eBay.
For example, a seller there might charge $10.00 shipping for a $1.00 item.

Chris
11-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The worst offenders I have seen are those selling small PC parts on eBay.
For example, a seller there might charge $10.00 shipping for a $1.00 item.

Chris
That may be dumb, but shipping cost is usually not linked to item cost.
11-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
shipping cost is usually not linked to item cost.
No, but small items that can fit in a padded envelope can usually be mailed First Class for a dollar or so...

Chris
11-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I generally use coated Hama filters made in Germany and Hoya Multi Coated UV's on all of my lenses.
11-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all your replys. I guess I'll go with the B&W Multi R Coated UV 010M F-PRO Made in Germany I like how nothing sticks to the glass very easy. And for 43.90 thats not a bad price for all the ones I looked at.

Jack