Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2020, 04:35 AM   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
. . . and see when I can put my hands on the 3 Amigos. . . . .
some say there is a problem with buying one of the " Limiteds "

it can be hard to stop buying the others

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 23 - PentaxForums.com

the 3 FA primes

the 4 SMC DA primes

the 4 HD DA primes

and the HD zoom

11-05-2020, 04:36 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for your comments, I think I've made up my mind. I will hunt down ideally an used K1ii, starting from a few FF primes I currently have, getting a 24-70/28-105 as next step, and see when I can put my hands on the 3 Amigos. That way I will be experiencing something new: full frame. It may or it may not fit with me, but I'm not afraid of selling things that don't work with me. The KP will stay with me in any case, for when I want portability. Both K1ii and K3iii does not hold a candle to it in this regards, and considering the K3iii's improvements do not mean a lot to me, I will wait for it's review, reduced price, or ideally a KPii.
Wise choice.
11-05-2020, 05:58 AM   #33
Bui
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
some say there is a problem with buying one of the " Limiteds "

it can be hard to stop buying the others

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 23 - PentaxForums.com

the 3 FA primes

the 4 SMC DA primes

the 4 HD DA primes

and the HD zoom

It is really a problem. I currently own all DA limiteds: 15-21-35-40 in SMC and 70-20/40 in HD. I never try any of the FA's. I purchased a 43 from a forum member last month but it was a sad story, the lens got lost during the long way shipping from the US to Europe. That's said, the FAs are much more expensive than the DAs, so having some of all of them would not be that straightforward, and most likely I will have to sell some of mine currently.
11-05-2020, 07:08 AM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if you really want to push it

there is the FA Limiteds ( Made In Japan )

and the FA Limiteds ( Assembled In Vietnam )

11-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is really a problem. I currently own all DA limiteds: 15-21-35-40 in SMC and 70-20/40 in HD. I never try any of the FA's. I purchased a 43 from a forum member last month but it was a sad story, the lens got lost during the long way shipping from the US to Europe. That's said, the FAs are much more expensive than the DAs, so having some of all of them would not be that straightforward, and most likely I will have to sell some of mine currently.
FYI I have tested the 40mm and 70mm on an old SFXn film camera to see if they would be OK on the K1. They do not exhibit significant (to my eyes) vignetting on film even wide open, so they should be good to go on the K1. Not sure about the others though.
11-05-2020, 09:56 AM   #36
Lev
Veteran Member

I'd stay with crop and try to get FF to have both. One big downside though is that then you'll have dilemmas for which system to get lenses
11-05-2020, 10:06 AM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
I'd stay with crop and try to get FF to have both. One big downside though is that then you'll have dilemmas for which system to get lenses
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
FYI I have tested the 40mm and 70mm on an old SFXn film camera to see if they would be OK on the K1. They do not exhibit significant (to my eyes) vignetting on film even wide open, so they should be good to go on the K1. Not sure about the others though.
perhaps this article might be of interest:
QuoteQuote:
Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019

In response to the many requests regarding which DA lenses cover the 24x36 mm full frame format ("FF")[B] we have tested almost all DA lenses with a Pentax K-1 under similar circumstances.[/B] We are happy to finally be able to present the full results. . . .

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-05-2020 at 10:37 AM.